Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Treasure Chest of Goodies on Ebay?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    um
    Jul 2004
    South Florida Cesspool
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    9524 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    About the only thing I would do is add more photos. People like photos.

Charter Member
    us
    TerryrSoloman.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    19741 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by diggummup View Post
    About the only thing I would do is add more photos. People like photos.
    I gave thought to that Diggummup, but I don't want to give away too much. I like the "mystery" part!
    DeepseekerADS likes this.

us
    Nov 2009
    1132 times
    There isn't anything about the auction that would convince me to bid. I can't tell from the pictures if the coins shown are worth anywhere near the starting price. I'm not in the habit of laying out what I consider a large chunk of change on a "pig in a poke". IMO the best outcome you can hope for is that no one bids because it won't get anywhere near the $699 your better half wanted you to start at much less the $1400 you think it should be insured at.
    Terry Soloman likes this.

us
    Nov 2010
    NJ Pine Barrens
    T2 SE
    2191 times
    There are so many issues with this, I don't even know where to begin. Good luck...
    "Internet quotes are often inaccurate."
    -Abraham Lincoln

us
    Aug 2011
    ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
    878 times
    IMO, Terry is a stand-up guy so I feel his starting bid is fair, But I would of started lower. it will be hard for anyone to bid on a mystery box, as you can't tell what the real value is. What you should of done was made 10 smaller ones.
    Bucket list still needed:
    • Silver thimble
    • Spanish silver
    • seated half
    • flying eagle
    • early copper
    • 1700's coin
    • 1600's coin
    • silver 3 cent piece
    • nickel 3 cent piece
    • seated quarter
    • capped bust silver
    • draped bust silver
    • silver dollar

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    15245 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Terry, I think your presentation is great, and very appealing. I like it - won't be bidding though.

I'm a wee bit worried though, the general public is so full of hysterics, and so uninformed except when it comes to Jerry Springer - look at America today....

I believe your market for it is pretty small. Four years ago when I retired I scrubbed eBay for precious metal collectables and did make too many purchases based on precious metals. Of course silver tanked by $7 an ounce since then, but I'm used to that. My co-workers in the early 80's told me "Wajah, we like you, we watch what you do and do the opposite". Seems to have proved out over time....

Just worried for you here - HOWEVER = I love it
    Terry Soloman and Kace like this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    Nov 2009
    1132 times
    Quote Originally Posted by b3y0nd3r View Post
    IMO, Terry is a stand-up guy so I feel his starting bid is fair, But I would of started lower. it will be hard for anyone to bid on a mystery box, as you can't tell what the real value is. What you should of done was made 10 smaller ones.
    I don't know Terry. As a member of this forum I am inclined to believe that the box is worth what he says it is. That doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of people on eBay don't even have that to base their bid on. All they have is a few pictures and the assurance of the seller that the item's appraised for over $1000.

us
    Aug 2011
    ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by trdhrdr007;5926279[B
    ]I don't know Terry.[/B] As a member of this forum I am inclined to believe that the box is worth what he says it is. That doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of people on eBay don't even have that to base their bid on. All they have is a few pictures and the assurance of the seller that the item's appraised for over $1000.
    I don't KNOW him either. However I can get an idea of people on how they post(too many variables to list here). I agree with what you are saying, I would of split it into smaller lots.
    Bucket list still needed:
    • Silver thimble
    • Spanish silver
    • seated half
    • flying eagle
    • early copper
    • 1700's coin
    • 1600's coin
    • silver 3 cent piece
    • nickel 3 cent piece
    • seated quarter
    • capped bust silver
    • draped bust silver
    • silver dollar

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    MOx2--KS
    Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones, Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones, Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe. GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
    2836 times
    Metal Detecting, Relic and Artifact Hunting, Prohibition Era and Civil War Era Cache Hunting.
    Love It!

Look at how much money folks have spent on the Fenn treasure chest hunt... this is a for sure, tangible item.

Kace

us
    Jun 2015
    CA
    49 times
    Storage units and picking
    Quote Originally Posted by Kace View Post
    Love It!

Look at how much money folks have spent on the Fenn treasure chest hunt... this is a for sure, tangible item.

Kace
    This is a little different. This lot you can double your money ($500 profit). The Fenn treasure is a million or so.
    Terry Soloman and Kace like this.

Charter Member
    us
    TerryrSoloman.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    19741 times
    Metal Detecting
    Just a hint, melt weight of just the gold alone is worth more than the starting bid.

us
    Kace

Aug 2017
    MOx2--KS
    Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones, Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones, Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe. GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
    2836 times
    Metal Detecting, Relic and Artifact Hunting, Prohibition Era and Civil War Era Cache Hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryans Rust View Post
    This is a little different. This lot you can double your money ($500 profit). The Fenn treasure is a million or so.
    I get what you're saying... my thoughts were As Of Now...Nobody knows if Fenn's tale of treasure is true. Terry's Is Real.

Personally, I'd rather have $500 in profit by your estimation in Real Money than $1m in a vague quasi promissory note to the finder that has no guarantee.

Lots of intelligent folks have searched for Fenn's treasure chest for a long time. Some who really needed the money have died searching, some have been hurt physically and financially...which is why I Hope To God he hasn't made this story up to sell his books and get attention. I also realize that it was everyone's individual decision to search...They knew the risks...None were forced to hunt for it.

Anyway...I think what Terry is doing is a fun thing and whoever wins his auction will have something tangible. I'll be watching and hoping for the best for him and the winner.

Good Luck To You!

Kace

us
    Sep 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro
    1634 times
    Yo, Terry. What is a "victory" nickel? Did you mean V or Liberty nickel?

Charter Member
    us
    Watch For Motorcycles

Dec 2009
    St. Charles County, Missouri
    Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000
    743 times
    How many of us are one of his 23 watchers? I'm one.
    Terry Soloman, T.C. and Drmad7 like this.
    When detectors are outlawed, only outlaws will have detectors

us
    Aug 2018
    SW Missouri
    Garrett All Terrain Pro
    4495 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    Here is my idea. I want to put a "Mystery Treasure Chest," filled with items I have detected. It will have a couple hundred coins dating back to the 1700s, including silver coins, Wheats, Indian heads, Large Cents, III cent coin, Mercury Dimes, Rosie's, Half and Silver Dollars, Gold Basin L5 Chondrite Meteorite, Gold Rings, Silver Rings, Gold & Silver Pendents, Civil War Bullets & More!

What should I ask as a starting bid, as shipping with insurance will be very close to $45.00. As you all know, after Ebay and Paypal take their cut, I'm down 15%. Looking forward to your thoughts!!!
    If you are running out of ideas of how to get rid of your stuff I would pay shipping on a chestful of it to help you out
    You may forget but let me tell you this: someone in some future time will think of us-Sappho

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links