Treasure Chest of Goodies on Ebay?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Terry, I think your presentation is great, and very appealing. I like it - won't be bidding though.

I'm a wee bit worried though, the general public is so full of hysterics, and so uninformed except when it comes to Jerry Springer - look at America today....

I believe your market for it is pretty small. Four years ago when I retired I scrubbed eBay for precious metal collectables and did make too many purchases based on precious metals. Of course silver tanked by $7 an ounce since then, but I'm used to that. My co-workers in the early 80's told me "Wajah, we like you, we watch what you do and do the opposite". Seems to have proved out over time....

Just worried for you here - HOWEVER = I love it :occasion14:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
IMO, Terry is a stand-up guy so I feel his starting bid is fair, But I would of started lower. it will be hard for anyone to bid on a mystery box, as you can't tell what the real value is. What you should of done was made 10 smaller ones.

I don't know Terry. As a member of this forum I am inclined to believe that the box is worth what he says it is. That doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of people on eBay don't even have that to base their bid on. All they have is a few pictures and the assurance of the seller that the item's appraised for over $1000.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
trdhrdr007;5926279[B said:
]I don't know Terry.[/B] As a member of this forum I am inclined to believe that the box is worth what he says it is. That doesn't change the fact that the vast majority of people on eBay don't even have that to base their bid on. All they have is a few pictures and the assurance of the seller that the item's appraised for over $1000.

I don't KNOW him either. However I can get an idea of people on how they post(too many variables to list here). I agree with what you are saying, I would of split it into smaller lots.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Love It!

Look at how much money folks have spent on the Fenn treasure chest hunt... this is a for sure, tangible item.

Kace

Ryans Rust

Jun 22, 2015
CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Love It!

Look at how much money folks have spent on the Fenn treasure chest hunt... this is a for sure, tangible item.

Kace

This is a little different. This lot you can double your money ($500 profit). The Fenn treasure is a million or so.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a hint, melt weight of just the gold alone is worth more than the starting bid.:skullflag:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a little different. This lot you can double your money ($500 profit). The Fenn treasure is a million or so.

I get what you're saying... my thoughts were As Of Now...Nobody knows if Fenn's tale of treasure is true. Terry's Is Real.

Personally, I'd rather have $500 in profit by your estimation in Real Money than $1m in a vague quasi promissory note to the finder that has no guarantee.

Lots of intelligent folks have searched for Fenn's treasure chest for a long time. Some who really needed the money have died searching, some have been hurt physically and financially...which is why I Hope To God he hasn't made this story up to sell his books and get attention. I also realize that it was everyone's individual decision to search...They knew the risks...None were forced to hunt for it.

Anyway...I think what Terry is doing is a fun thing and whoever wins his auction will have something tangible. I'll be watching and hoping for the best for him and the winner.

Good Luck To You!

Kace

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Yo, Terry. What is a "victory" nickel? Did you mean V or Liberty nickel?

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many of us are one of his 23 watchers? I'm one.

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my idea. I want to put a "Mystery Treasure Chest," filled with items I have detected. It will have a couple hundred coins dating back to the 1700s, including silver coins, Wheats, Indian heads, Large Cents, III cent coin, Mercury Dimes, Rosie's, Half and Silver Dollars, Gold Basin L5 Chondrite Meteorite, Gold Rings, Silver Rings, Gold & Silver Pendents, Civil War Bullets & More!

What should I ask as a starting bid, as shipping with insurance will be very close to $45.00. As you all know, after Ebay and Paypal take their cut, I'm down 15%. Looking forward to your thoughts!!! :skullflag:

If you are running out of ideas of how to get rid of your stuff I would pay shipping on a chestful of it to help you out :)

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, I would be bidding but am short of cash so I posted a link on Facebook for my better off friends. I hope you do Great! Do you ever sell single meteorites?

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, I would be bidding but am short of cash so I posted a link on Facebook for my better off friends. I hope you do Great! Do you ever sell single meteorites?

I've sold a couple of larger and oriented specimens in the past, but no, not as a rule. The one in the chest is a nice one. Over 35-grams with a nice bit of fusion crust, found in the only "Fossil Strewn Field," (Gold Basin), in the United States. I love me some space rocks! Sometimes I just hold them and ponder where they have been.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took another look. I'd be afraid someone would buy it, take a few choice pieces for themselves, then say it wasn't as described and want a refund. You're out the shipping and the good pieces. I'd be leery of this type of listing myself. Just saying. Good luck.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took another look. I'd be afraid someone would buy it, take a few choice pieces for themselves, then say it wasn't as described and want a refund. You're out the shipping and the good pieces. I'd be leery of this type of listing myself. Just saying. Good luck.

I have photos and the itemized appraisal list, so I'm not that worried on THAT end. However, my wife just came in with a CENSORED-eating grin on her face and said, "Three-days and no bids, tick-tock!" ???

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I have photos and the itemized appraisal list, so I'm not that worried on THAT end. However, my wife just came in with a CENSORED-eating grin on her face and said, "Three-days and no bids, tick-tock!" ???

By not documenting the photos with they buyer and eBay or at the very least photographing the appraisal (independent appraisal - not just your inventory list and what you value it as) and providing that documentation as part of the listing, a buyer absolutely can dispute it as not being as described. It would be your word against theirs. Guess what? eBay will side with the buyer. You'll be out the shipping and the choice pieces. All they need to do is send back what you photographed/documented as part of the listing. These "mystery" listings should really be avoided.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the gold at melt is more than the start price? I may have to bid when my wife goes on vacation

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
By not documenting the photos with they buyer and eBay or at the very least photographing the appraisal (independent appraisal - not just your inventory list and what you value it as) and providing that documentation as part of the listing, a buyer absolutely can dispute it as not being as described. It would be your word against theirs. Guess what? eBay will side with the buyer. You'll be out the shipping and the choice pieces. All they need to do is send back what you photographed/documented as part of the listing. These "mystery" listings should really be avoided.

I guess I have more faith in people Diver_Down. Surely you don't know anyone that would do that? Besides, I'm just crazy enough to go to their house with my crazy cousin the lawyer, a local LEO, and a very bad attitude. :occasion14:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost hit the button just to get the ball rolling.....But then I thought,"what if no one else bids? I'm not sure I have enough in paypal to cover it":laughing7:

And on the scammers? We all hear stories..I sell a little of anything and everything. I've only ever had 2 scammers one for new software and another on a pocket watch.. and Ebay is really helpful in those cases. You may spend hours on the phone but....I also sell everything as is. The "not as described" doesn't hold too much weight if there are pictures of everything or buying a "mystery chest". People will try and Ebay help isn't dumb to that game.

Before someone bids you could put" as-is not return" because of the items.

Last edited:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a few people on here, including myself, are watching this closely in anticipation of bidding on it.:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread