Treasure Chest of Goodies on Ebay?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is my idea. I want to put a "Mystery Treasure Chest," filled with items I have detected. It will have a couple hundred coins dating back to the 1700s, including silver coins, Wheats, Indian heads, Large Cents, III cent coin, Mercury Dimes, Rosie's, Half and Silver Dollars, Gold Basin L5 Chondrite Meteorite, Gold Rings, Silver Rings, Gold & Silver Pendents, Civil War Bullets & More!

What should I ask as a starting bid, as shipping with insurance will be very close to $45.00. As you all know, after Ebay and Paypal take their cut, I'm down 15%. Looking forward to your thoughts!!! :skullflag:

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Essentially what you are going to want to do is calculate the total value of the items that you have times it by 15% add the shipping on and that will be your break even point.

It does sound like a lot of fun though for a bidder.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Terry,

Will the contents be a true mystery with no inside item photos?

Treasure chest value + $ 45 S/H + 15 % Feebay = your break even point

I guess there is two ways of looking at the starting price...low start and let the market play out or safe as described above.

Sounds like a fun auction, Good Luck! :icon_thumleft:

Doc

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, total mystery, with only a few items highlighted as guaranteed items inside. I was thinking of basing the starting price on just these items.

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think without the contents pictured, you will not do well as everyone will assume that you will just add items to the chest equal to or less than the value of the final bid so you dont lose.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$45 seems awfully high for shipping unless it is extremely heavy. Large flat rate box too small? FedEx is usually much cheaper than USPS when it comes to anything over 5 pounds that won't fit in a flat rate box.
Just some food for thought, though I know you're pretty well versed already.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nevermind I see you lowered it.[emoji106]

It's heavy, and it will have to be insured for at least $1400.00, so shipping will be a bit more expensive.:skullflag:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it's presented very nicely

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Terry you have a wonderful display of the item, sure hope you find a buyer! Doc

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Jeff and Professor!:occasion14: I'm a bit nervous, as my better half wanted me to start it at $699.00, but I reminded her I found everything in the chest (and the chest itself when someone threw it away!), so why not make it interesting and see what happens. I AM worried though, because she is ALWAYS right!:laughing7:

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great auction, but if it were mine, I would feel better with a reserve.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebay is odd for sure. Prices on some stuff is down. The same 8 reale milled coin I saw 15 years ago sold for $200 or more. Now they are $99. Time will tell.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About the only thing I would do is add more photos. People like photos.

I gave thought to that Diggummup, but I don't want to give away too much. I like the "mystery" part!:occasion14:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
There isn't anything about the auction that would convince me to bid. I can't tell from the pictures if the coins shown are worth anywhere near the starting price. I'm not in the habit of laying out what I consider a large chunk of change on a "pig in a poke". IMO the best outcome you can hope for is that no one bids because it won't get anywhere near the $699 your better half wanted you to start at much less the $1400 you think it should be insured at.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
IMO, Terry is a stand-up guy so I feel his starting bid is fair, But I would of started lower. it will be hard for anyone to bid on a mystery box, as you can't tell what the real value is. What you should of done was made 10 smaller ones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread