New to eBay, new to PayPal

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am thinking of getting on to EBay to sell part of my collection. The problem is I am completely unfamiliar with PayPal which seems to be the most common form of currency used on eBay. So assuming that I have the I.Q. of a bag of hammers, and it my be lower than that, I have the following questions.-

Should I have any PayPal/eBay security concerns? Should I have a separate interweb machine solely for eBay business?

How do I start a PayPal account?

How does one withdraw money from one's PayPal account?

Thank you in advance for your replies. I don't currently have a credit card, or checking account so this is all new to me. Thanks.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think that you can sign up for paypal without a credit card. If you are careful, you should have no security problems. Don't give out any information to anybody that emails you from "ebay" or "paypal" They will not ask for your password or private info. Anybody that does is a scammer. The IRS does have access to your paypal account, so plan on paying taxes if you sell much. Good Luck

OP
OP
D

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks.

I been to the pay pal site and the #$%&@-& thing reads like a little kid's model Zenith FM radio instructions that has been translated from English to Swahili, then back to English by a different translator. No useful information but they have a photo of a smiling customer? WTF?

After I give them my name, email and firstborn child, will a PayPal account just link to my debit card?

Are there any fees other than the 2.9% when I accept payment?

Thanks

RickS

Tenderfoot
Jul 24, 2018
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter SS II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used both for 10 years and whenever I purchase something on eBay, it is deducted right from my bank, when I sell something there is a small fee for PayPal as well as eBay. There is no fee when you purchase something. The seller pays the fees.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
If you're selling on ebay, you'll be receiving funds. If you want to withdraw the money, you will have to link a banking account, no way around it. You can keep those funds in your paypal account and use that money to purchase things, just about all web based selling sites accept paypal. Paypal is somewhat like a bank, you can store money there and buy stuff out of it but if you want to see and touch it, gotta have a bank account.

As far as using a stand alone machine, not at all. As long as you are comfortable that you're clicking on the secure sites, all is good. Paypal is extremely safe and efficient, so is Ebay.

If you're comfort level just isn't there, find a local work at home person that will take care of all your transactions for a small fee. They serve as brokers if you will. You take your goods to them, describe what you have, determine a sell price. The broker will take care of photographing, listing and transferring the money to you as cash. Keep in mind though that this broker has to pay those same ebay and paypal fees and might ask for a 3-5% take on the gross selling price. To some, that's worth the price of admission.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No Security problems since 2000. The most important thing is KNOWING your shipping costs, and the FEE's you must pay. That has to be figured into your price. It has become extremely hard to make a profit on items because of new fees, and climbing shipping costs. Ebay is no place for amateurs any more. :skullflag:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no such thing as a no return policy On ebay Ive had few problems selling in thde past 10 years but I dont sell high price items either

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No Security problems since 2000. The most important thing is KNOWING your shipping costs, and the FEE's you must pay. That has to be figured into your price. It has become extremely hard to make a profit on items because of new fees, and climbing shipping costs. Ebay is no place for amateurs any more. :skullflag:

Or the mildly experienced either.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
If you decide to use PP and EBay, I think it's best to open an account specifically for that at a different bank than you normally use. There have been issues in the past. I don't know about now, but I do not personally use either due to the past issues.

Or like was mentioned, use a broker or someone who you know that uses PP and EBay regularly and pay them a set fee to list items to sell or buy for you and then you reimburse them. Also like was mentioned...Really Learn the selling side and how to save on Fees as a seller and get better prices as a buyer.

Kace

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Where do you find someone to list and sell for you on eBay for 3-5%? Around here it's 25% (minimum) of final sale price minus eBay/PayPal fees which run 14-15%. That means you net about 60% of actual sale price.

As someone who sells on eBay I get asked to sell for other people on a regular basis. I'm not interested unless the item has enough value for me to get $20 or more. Even then I'd rather not fool with it. I've found that most people think they will get high retail on less than perfect items.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no such thing as a no return policy On ebay Ive had few problems selling in thde past 10 years but I dont sell high price items either

You can protect yourself for a "no return" policy. As long as pictures are good and description is good, you will not have to take a return. Except!! On things like software where you can't prove if it worked or not. And would be more hassle fighting it than giving a return.

I have a checking account linked to Paypal since around 2005 with no issues. My Ebay was hacked at one time but never had problem with paypal. I also don't link Ebay and paypal together for that reason. I have to log into Paypal for every purchase it won't automatically log me in and pay.

coinbug

Jul 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher Goldbug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never had a problem with Paypal and indeed would use them for every transaction if I could. Credit card companies are never on your side. Paypal always is.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
When you get to the selling point on eBay, always video your item’s condition and weighing of the finished packaging. This will be backup if you’ve run into an issue with a buyer who claims NAD and wants a refund.
I have over 700 transactions on my eBay account, with a 100 percent positive feedback score. It can be stressful selling on eBay. It’s also a lot of work to be good at it. Shipping has to be as good as any retailer in the market place. It has to be quick and efficient all the while protecting the cargo for the consumer.
You will need a bank account to be able to navigate the requirements of running a small business using eBay and PayPal.
A small debit card account at your local bank will afford you the ability to do that.
PayPal has always got my back.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Duckshot,

Think you might want to worry more about all the trolls on both; you would think that since they are basically paying you gas money and handing over their address that you would not have issues with trolls. Not the case though, these trolls actually think they have rights.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread