silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Tnet Friends,

I'm curious what everyone thinks if the best business structure for selling on eBay: sole proprietorship, LLC, S Corporation?

I found this article which is helpful but still struggling with pros and cons.

Background:
- I will most likely have between $20-$40K in annual sales (approx 75% profit)
- I have a teenage old child that will be doing all the selling: listing, packaging, etc
- Looks like underage children can earn $12K annually tax free

In this situation, what is the best structure?

thanks,
bill

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just get the LLC to get going. You can always restructure as an S-corp later should you require another office, vehicle, employee. You have other expenses (State Corp Agent, Attny), and be sure to figure in the shipping costs correctly down to your last foam peanut! Good Luck! :skullflag:

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Background:
- I will have between $20-$40K
- teenage child selling: listing, packaging.
- underage children earn $12K annually tax free

Personally I would talk to a lawyer about this one. From an IRS standpoint it will look like you are making the purchase and using the child for tax evasion.

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Terry....thanks for advice.

@Holt0222.....as long as you are paying the child a "reasonable" salary everything is fine. My kid is going to do 90% of the work. Im just picking.

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For sure. Most going to 529 college savings plan and some for spending.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I agree with Holt0222, talk to a lawyer, after you have filed the LLC papers. Most states you can file LLC documents on line with a business credit card. Have separate personal and business bank and credit card accounts; dont mix their use.
Use good accounting software or a CPA if your not tax and software savvy. Keep written records of all miles traveled for business including dates and what the trip was for.

Don't fall for a get rich quick, as if that were possible everyone would be rich. It takes hard work, and especially for ebay. The tortoise and the hare, the tortoise will be the richer in the end.

KastGrin

Aug 2, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was also thinking about starting selling on eBay. Very useful thread. I will just talk to my lawyer before I start doing anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions