tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not an ultra eBay seller, but I have been selling since the later 1990s. In the last year of selling when I do, I'm finding very little positive feedbacks from buyers now. In the past they would write wonderful things about me and the items they purchased. I'm just wondering what that means? Is anyone else experiencing that? As long as they don't complain, I'm thinking everything's okay, but I do miss the good things they use to say, as I felt that reinforces your credibility as a seller. Maybe it's just they don't feel obligated to leave seller's feed backs anymore?

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People are finally realizing that feedback means nothing on Ebay. Back in the day, Ebay let sellers give bad feedback for buyers and people with an excesive amount of bad feedback were booted off of ebay. I once had a buyer that bought a $1500 motorcycle that took a week to send the $500 deposit and then I got a message from paypal saying that a stolen paypal account was used to make the payment. He bought 5 motorcycles and a $300 motorcycle jacket that week. None of the motorcycles were sent but he did get the jacket. I checked a year later and his feedback was 100%.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always leave feedback but lately I'm finding that it's not reciprocated. Sometimes I send a note to remind them but that doesn't always work.

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If i am the buyer i give feedback as soon as i get my item, if i am the seller i wait for them to give feedback first. As of Dec 1 i have 3 buyers that have not given feedback, i ask them nicely to leave feedback and if i don't receive it i don't leave them any.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
eBay doesn't penalize sellers that get negative feedback so I don't waste any time worrying about it. I definitely wouldn't ask for feedback under any circumstances. Why poke the bear? I know a lot of people think all buyers check feedback before making a purchase. I don't buy into that. If they did people with less than perfect feedback wouldn't sell much.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eBay doesn't penalize sellers that get negative feedback so I don't waste any time worrying about it. I definitely wouldn't ask for feedback under any circumstances. Why poke the bear? I know a lot of people think all buyers check feedback before making a purchase. I don't buy into that. If they did people with less than perfect feedback wouldn't sell much.
Yeah that's my thinking, just leave it be, as in the case of no news is good news. My wife buys all over online and much on eBay and she doesn't leave fb's like she did in the past. Indeed I miss the days when I could leave a rating on dead beats. I listed a camera a few months back and as soon as the auction ended a notice to cancel came up. eBay even suggested in the message to basically just suck it up and let the stiff off the hook. I asked the guy why he cancelled and he said he'd already purchased one before bidding on mine. WHAT!... I let him off the hook, because I knew he's not going to be held accountable and there's no way can you squeeze blood out of a turnip. I ran it again and it sold for less, but I got paid and no pfb on that one also.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
The feedback system is a joke. As a seller who started in the late 90's, I have 345 100% positive feedback. I know that I've sold more than 345 items in 20 years. I don't beg for it. I'm not going to send cute notes with my items asking for it. Leave it or don't. I used to withhold feedback until it was left for me, but eBay changed the ability for a seller to leave negative feedback years ago. So everyone as soon as the payment is cleared gets the same positive feedback comment from me. It means nothing. What sticks in my craw is the detailed seller ratings. I always ship items at cost. Now, I do get a discount when printing a label, but that discount doesn't cover the fees that are charged on shipping. I lose money for every item I ship. But lately, I've been getting less than 5 stars on the shipping cost stating it is too expensive. I call it the Amazon effect. Consumers are so used to getting free shipping from online merchants that any charge over free is "expensive". Newsflash - Shipping is expensive, but you pay what I pay.

The biggest endorsement is the repeat buyer. You know you are offering a good value when they return. I've been selling coin collections lately. The one buyer has bought over $900 in the last month. I don't give any special favor (free coins/discounted shipping/etc.) to a repeat buyer or a first timer. They are all treated the same, but yet this guy has parted with almost a $1000 this past month beyond his regular budget. That is positive feedback that I can appreciate.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like somewhere between 10-20% leave feedback. 10 sounds a bit low, 20 sounds high (at least this past year).

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I leave feedback within two days of an item I sold being delivered. I use that as a reminder to reciprocate. If they do respond, great. If they don’t, I have a slight issue with it but move on. As long as they don’t come back later asking for a refund...it’s all good. Once I hit 400 points last year, I didn’t care. I look legitimate enough at this point. And I have to say, this is my restarted account on EBay and it is higher than the account I had when I started selling back in the 90s.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you guys got me wondering about my account. I started sell in 2001 and have had 1974 sales with 1186 feedbacks (only a couple were neg) I guess my FB ratio average is 66%

If a customer deserves a negative I give it sarcastically, of course.

I have to click positive but then verbally say "Great customer, wouldn't pay for two weeks and then never returned messages" or something like that. Then months later I would check to see if it was still there, they were. I never got retaliatory negatives because of when I said.

coryg

Mar 18, 2013
Upstate, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nobody leaves feedback anymore. I always do.

Carlitosway2

Apr 11, 2016
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
(Favorite) CTX 3030
(Back up) whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have realized the same thing as a seller. I’m glad it’s not just me. But I do always leave feedback for purchased items.
What’s going on with that?

GarageSaleKing

Sep 12, 2016
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't feel that feedback matters much. When I sell an item, I don't leave feedback unless a buyer leaves it first. When I purchase an item, I don't leave feedback. The system just doesn't work well. Also, I notice that people with bad feedback will sell items at almost the same price as people with 100 percent postive feedback.

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO, once a buyer pays for an item, their part is finished, and I give them good feedback.
I also give positive feedback if the deal is good.
If there is a "problem" like taking 10 days to put an item in the mail, I simply don't leave any feedback. This happened just recently. The person's feedback was 100%, and had MANY "fast shipping" comments, so I just figured they had a problem similar to mine. Another person from Washington state was so apologetic because she couldn't get to the item at her Mom's house because they were buried in snow.
I told her to stay safe and take care of her mom. Gave her very good feedback.:)
I had a medical emergency and was in the hospital for a week and wouldn't ya know it, someone bought a somewhat expensive item from me the night I went in.
Wasn't able to do anything until I got home.
Sent the item out with an explanation and they still dissed me for not shipping on time.
Oh well.. that's the ONLY negative thing I ever got but they took my "power seller" rating away because of it.
I still have a 100% rating though with almost 1,000 feedbacks.

snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 bounty hunter 2200's garrett at pro 2 garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when i first joined ebay in 1998 you could leave feedback for someone who never had an transactons with you, i know cause i did it with some friends and even strangers. otheer ebayers did this as well. some built rather large numbers this way, so the feedback system didnt really work from the beginning ,they have made alot of changes since and honestly it just sucks now,a buyer can rip you off or do what ever they want to you and the worst you cna do to them is leave them a positive, like what the hell?
but anyway i agree fewer buyers leave feedbacks now a days but i also noticed some sellers refusing to leave me feedback, i have 2 in the last while where i paid immediately and when i recieved the item i left feedback but they dont for me, one seller i waited about a month then i asked if he was going to do it for me and now a few weeks later i am still waiting for his reply, the other seller again i waited about a month then asked ,2 weeks later he answered of course,,well antoher 2 weeks had past since and still notheing i msgd him again 2 days ago and no reply, during all this both sellers continue lsting items so its not like they arent on, this really bothers me i dont know why but i believe if a buyer leaves you a pos i think you should do the same,,although i wont do this but im tempted to buy something else from them just so i can leave a neg/nuetral feedback

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New generation. I had a case opened on a sale. It turns out... the buyer only looked at the title and first picture.. Not at any of other the 12 pictures, or the description. He told eBay that!. Case closed, I won that one. I don't get it....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread