Ebay's New Fixed Price Policy

Atlanta Mi Dave

Feb 19, 2009
Atlanta, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark and Tesoro Cibola Minelab 505, Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebay will begin making all BIN listings Good Til Cancelled, but they will automatically charge you a listing fee every 30 days for items that do not sell in the 30 day period.. If you only get 50 free listings a month, you better watch out or you will may get screwed. This takes place in a couple of weeks.Might be time for me to bail out. Even with all the free additional listings I get every month, I will have to closely watch my listings. Also the sales tax charge to certain states goes into effect soon. I like selling on ebay, but they are making it hard to stay in it. I have no store, ebay is not getting a penny extra from me for listings.

Last edited:

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I will have to check this out! I have noticed while using the app, certain listings would not give me the option to list for less than Good Til Cancelled.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also the sales tax charge to certain states goes into effect soon.
It might have already started. I am in CA and just had a sale to IA.

Total invoice to customer was $27 and they paid $27. Paypal got $27 and told me in an email.

I get order ready to ship and print packing slip and it shows $1.18 tax and a total of $28.18

I double check everything and no tax was charged customer or paid.

I go to my fees page, ebay charged .80¢ for the shipping cost fee but did not charge me the $1.90 for the item fee.

Somebody better check their programming. But you know what is going to happen. ebay is not going to eat this. they are going to go back and charge every seller the taxes they didn't get from the customer. This has probably been going on since the first of March. (2 days now)

You know they will not try to collect it from the person who really owes it. They love their buyers and don't give a k-rap about the sellers because they know they can just tack it on to their monthly statement and then pull from paypal.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was thinking about this last night. That's going to end my sale of prospecting equipment plans. Don't sell often enough to justify monthly fees.
Jim

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
It might have already started. I am in CA and just had a sale to IA.

Total invoice to customer was $27 and they paid $27. Paypal got $27 and told me in an email.

I get order ready to ship and print packing slip and it shows $1.18 tax and a total of $28.18

I double check everything and no tax was charged customer or paid.

I go to my fees page, ebay charged .80¢ for the shipping cost fee but did not charge me the $1.90 for the item fee.

Somebody better check their programming. But you know what is going to happen. ebay is not going to eat this. they are going to go back and charge every seller the taxes they didn't get from the customer. This has probably been going on since the first of March. (2 days now)

You know they will not try to collect it from the person who really owes it. They love their buyers and don't give a k-rap about the sellers because they know they can just tack it on to their monthly statement and then pull from paypal.

I've had a few sales where the buyer was charged sales tax since the beginning of the year. It's my understanding that eBay is required by a new piece of legislation to collect sales tax in states where they have a physical presence and the sales tax charged is a separate transaction between eBay & the buyer. In other words, the tax never goes through my account. I also checked fees on a couple of those sales & the numbers look right. I'll be keeping an eye on this but at this point think it's a non-issue.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its because people list duplicate listings they change the price by a few cents and some wording in the title and have tons of listings of the same thing

OP
OP
Atlanta Mi Dave

Atlanta Mi Dave

Feb 19, 2009
Atlanta, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark and Tesoro Cibola Minelab 505, Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bigger concern is ebay's new policy that all BIN item's will be Good Til Cancelled and every 30 days will be automatically relisted and if you don't have any free listings left you will be charged a relisting fee based on listing price. This is in the latest Seller Update I got last week.

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bigger concern is ebay's new policy that all BIN item's will be Good Til Cancelled and every 30 days will be automatically relisted and if you don't have any free listings left you will be charged a relisting fee based on listing price. This is in the latest Seller Update I got last week.

Yeah, that is complete bull crap. They're going to have to change that

snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 bounty hunter 2200's garrett at pro 2 garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does this poiicy apply when you have an ebay store? will we have to pay when our good till cancled items relist too?im from canada btw, but this is the first ive heard this thanks

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paypal has a call center in Maryland. I'm in Maryland. Maybe I should have a yard sale instead.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup...what Dan said. The new rule has little effect on small sellers. (like me) LOL
Jim

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just keep your items to less than 50 a month.

Last weekend Ebay had a “list 200” items feature. My 46 listings were going to expire in a couple of days and with the perminanent BIN I would only be able to list four more for the entire month. So what I did was cancel all my auctions and resist right away using up from the 200. Only took about 45 minutes. So now I still have about 45 of the 50.

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good idea Dan. I marked mine that are now good till cancelled so that I can end them myself right before they expire, but I'll have to use that on promotions that I don't use all of.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a good idea Dan. I marked mine that are now good till cancelled so that I can end them myself right before they expire, but I'll have to use that on promotions that I don't use all of.
I use auction.com for all my listings. If I cancel on feebly I can immediately go there and realist. I have never done any listings directly on the bay. They store all my old auctions and photos forever unless I delete them. I do not like the owner company but they are the only game in town.

Alibaba owns them, a Chinese company known for selling counterfeit items in USA. (Alibaba.com)

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Actually I remembered. I had 46 auctions that will end 16 hours from now. I have not listed any of the 50 free ones. I just deleted 16 auctions. I will let my 30 best ride it out. (jewelry, old Japanese movie newsletters and a few coins)

So now I still have 20 to play with for two more weeks.

I belong to Auctiva. It is a company where I can upload my photo and post all my ebay auctions through them. As soon as I cancel or sell on ebay they go into a closed folder and I can go in and repost anytime. Costs $10 a month but i hate ebay for posting.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To me, eBay is a pain in the a$$ when it comes to fee's and listing times. The shipping and postage times and rates are downright cost prohibitive too. That's why I started using the forums to sell some stuff (check my stuff out in the charter member classifieds).

But the fact that they charge you every 30 days is ridiculous. I avoid eBay as much as possible. And now they added sales tax in my state making it even MORE expensive.

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I use to do the ebay thing years ago and stopped after moving across the country. Besides the problems listed and lines at the post office, I doubt I would ever get back into it. One thing that caused me to refrain was thinking about finding the correct box and padding and then having someone complain in order to rip me off. I changed what I sell now and amazon packages and ships for me. Build the product one time and sell it over repeatedly. Once up and listed there are no more costs except taxes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread