cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking at memory, cpus, and hard drives mainly, but I mess with all of it.
Hit up all the local computer repair shops. Only two in the town I am in. Got in a conversation with one of the shops and he said he has hundreds of hard drives then we started a conversation about me recycling and splitting the profit. Right now it hasn't gone any further.

He did say he sells his other greenboards and junk to someone that comes by every now and them. The 3 items you mentioned do have the best resale value.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit up all the local computer repair shops. Only two in the town I am in. Got in a conversation with one of the shops and he said he has hundreds of hard drives then we started a conversation about me recycling and splitting the profit. Right now it hasn't gone any further.

He did say he sells his other greenboards and junk to someone that comes by every now and them. The 3 items you mentioned do have the best resale value.

Yep, I was thinking about doing that. We'll see where it goes.

Have you ever thought about talking to a local recycling center? People pay for them to take the electronics, I wonder what a general recycling center normally does with them. Pay to get rid of them also?

Last edited:

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Have you ever thought about talking to a local recycling center? People pay for them to take the electronics, I wonder what a general recycling center normally does with them. Pay to get rid of them also?

The larger E waste recyclers are affiliated with the processing plants. It just goes in bulk to them. The smaller ones usually sent theirs to China up until China passed harsher pollution laws and no longer accept most bulk recyclables from other countries.This why some of the drop off sites have disappeared or changed branding. Then there's the places that just toss it into the dump or scrapyards. These are usually the places that charge you for anything you drop off. Legit places tend to only charge for dropping off a CRT.

I have seen on a couple of scrap forums that some members offer a higher bulk price to the E waste centers and since they process and sort the material themselves they have quite profit margin. One even reclaimed the gold from the contacts himself. The rest lived near the processing plants so they took it directly to them by the truckload.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The larger E waste recyclers are affiliated with the processing plants. It just goes in bulk to them. The smaller ones usually sent theirs to China up until China passed harsher pollution laws and no longer accept most bulk recyclables from other countries.This why some of the drop off sites have disappeared or changed branding. Then there's the places that just toss it into the dump or scrapyards. These are usually the places that charge you for anything you drop off. Legit places tend to only charge for dropping off a CRT.

I have seen on a couple of scrap forums that some members offer a higher bulk price to the E waste centers and since they process and sort the material themselves they have quite profit margin. One even reclaimed the gold from the contacts himself. The rest lived near the processing plants so they took it directly to them by the truckload.

That's about what I figured. I didn't know about China's harsher pollution laws. That is interesting

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Not at all. I have recycled well over 40,000 cells and hundreds of PCs. About the time I moved cell recycling prices went down. I sold all my cells to a recycler in Corona, CA. I drove 20 miles to drop off and walked out with a check. I also have a recycler in Florida. I used to ship him 50-75 pounds a month and he paid shipping.

On computers I would buy at yard sales $1 to $1.50 max. I would tear apart and this is where the parts went:

all wiring - local scrap yard (scrap wire) ¢¢
steel case, DVD & CD drives and power supply - local scrap yard (scrap ferris) ¢
aluminum hard drive frame - local scrap yard (#1 or #2 aluminum) $
all greenboards (except hard drive) - recycler in FL $$
hard drive motherboard, ROM, CPU - ebay $$$$

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not at all. I have recycled well over 40,000 cells and hundreds of PCs. About the time I moved cell recycling prices went down. I sold all my cells to a recycler in Corona, CA. I drove 20 miles to drop off and walked out with a check. I also have a recycler in Florida. I used to ship him 50-75 pounds a month and he paid shipping.

On computers I would buy at yard sales $1 to $1.50 max. I would tear apart and this is where the parts went:

steel case, DVD & CD drives and power supply - local scrap yard (scrap ferris) ¢

That's basically what I do on the computers as well. I don't do cell phones much because I really can't find them very much. Does the scrapyard make you pull stickers off of the hard drive cases?

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wish there were decent used computer prices here. They used to be tossed out all the time and now you wouldn't get a broken 80mm fan for $5 lol. I usually recycled the cases, sold the peripherals on ebay and added the motherboards to my Beowulf cluster or mining rigs if it was a quality board.

That's basically what I do on the computers as well. I don't do cell phones much because I really can't find them very much. Does the scrapyard make you pull stickers off of the hard drive cases?

I tend to get quite a few phones from storage lockers. All low end stuff so they all get tossed in a box until I have enough to scrap.

Last edited:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would go to yard sales to buy coins and gold. Since I was there anyway I always asked about old serving trays, pitchers, forks and spoons. All that old silver plated just is brass underneath, that went to the recyclers too. I also bought 10-15 cells every saturday for 50¢ each. If they didn't want to sell I moved on. You would be surprised how quickly they would take 50 cents when I start back to my car.

I also had a deal set up with Juan (no English or no greencard) about every three or four weeks he would have 400-500 trashed cells. He never could tell me how he got them but they were mostly flip or slider and a lot of smart. I am pretty sure he would dumpster dive at ATT or Verizon, etc every night. I also paid him 50¢ each. I actually think he also had pickers that worked for him at 25¢ each. So we all helped each other.

The guy in FL no longer picks up fed-x but my past local electronics recycler (no metals) will buy. Other places on internet buy too.

The scrapyard will only buy COMPLETLY stripped AL hard drive cases. They will buy the covers separately with or without labels. Some are AL some are SS.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would go to yard sales to buy coins and gold. Since I was there anyway I always asked about old serving trays, pitchers, forks and spoons. All that old silver plated just is brass underneath, that went to the recyclers too. I also bought 10-15 cells every saturday for 50¢ each. If they didn't want to sell I moved on. You would be surprised how quickly they would take 50 cents when I start back to my car.

I also had a deal set up with Juan (no English or no greencard) about every three or four weeks he would have 400-500 trashed cells. He never could tell me how he got them but they were mostly flip or slider and a lot of smart. I am pretty sure he would dumpster dive at ATT or Verizon, etc every night. I also paid him 50¢ each. I actually think he also had pickers that worked for him at 25¢ each. So we all helped each other.

The guy in FL no longer picks up fed-x but my past local electronics recycler (no metals) will buy. Other places on internet buy too.

The scrapyard will only buy COMPLETLY stripped AL hard drive cases. They will buy the covers separately with or without labels. Some are AL some are SS.

Have you ever sold to boardsort.com?

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish there were decent used computer prices here. They used to be tossed out all the time and now you wouldn't get a broken 80mm fan for $5 lol. I usually recycled the cases, sold the peripherals on ebay and added the motherboards to my Beowulf cluster or mining rigs if it was a quality board.

I tend to get quite a few phones from storage lockers. All low end stuff so they all get tossed in a box until I have enough to scrap.

Yard sales is mainly where I find them. I wish I could get into flipping storage units, just don't have the space right now

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you get any vintage boards (x486 or older and some original Pentium server boards) just remember to check ebay for them first. They can go for 10 to 100 times the scrap price even not working.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get any vintage boards (x486 or older and some original Pentium server boards) just remember to check ebay for them first. They can go for 10 to 100 times the scrap price even not working.

When I first started doing escrap I almost scrapped an original commodore, but decided to look it up first. Let's just say I was glad I did :laughing7: It sold in like 12 hours for probably 100x scrap.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions