Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Facebook not google

I have started selling stuff on Facebook. Marketplace. Not as big market as ebay but another place to sell. Good thing is I keep all the money (no fees) and no shipping. I have not sold anything on ebay for over 30 days, but make a sell on Market place two or three items a week. Just like ebay itjust all depends on the item and price.

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_metal_detector.gif
I have bought some new Dewalt Batteries for a great price off the Facebook Marketplace. For buyers - it is also a great resource.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what is market place? I belong to several local facebook sales pages. Is that the same thing? I am getting tired of what I call facebook flakes. They absolutely promise to meet at a certain spot and never show up.

Also a ot of the ads look like they were written by 8th grade dropouts.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what is market place? I belong to several local facebook sales pages. Is that the same thing? I am getting tired of what I call facebook flakes. They absolutely promise to meet at a certain spot and never show up.

Also a ot of the ads look like they were written by 8th grade dropouts.

It the Facebook version of Craigslist. You can search for items by area extending out and price. It's main benefits are instant communication through message and the ability to accept payment through messenger. There are also local sales groups but those are different.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's main benefits are instant communication through message and the ability to accept payment through messenger. t.
When you get paid by messenger how do you get your money? I have PayPal but to get the money I have to transfer it to my bank. I also have Cash App to get my money I can go direct to most ATMs.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you get paid by messenger how do you get your money? I have PayPal but to get the money I have to transfer it to my bank. I also have Cash App to get my money I can go direct to most ATMs.

Have to have a visa/mastercard branded debit card if you use Facebook on a computer or you can use Paypal or debit card on the Facebook app. Still have to wait the debit transfer time on there too. At least Paypal is pretty quick on bank transfers. Even same day if your bank has same day debit transfers and you're willing to pay the fee.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I sometimes use Facebook Marketplace to sell items for myself and for a friend. It all depends on whether you have what folks are looking for, have a great write up for the item(s) and are willing to answer questions. While Craigslist can help you move stuff out, it seems that Facebook Marketplace has the potential for much better visibility and a method of contact that people prefer. Venues such as these, have and will continue to spell the doom for eBay and eventually PayPal as well.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sometimes use Facebook Marketplace to sell items for myself and for a friend. It all depends on whether you have what folks are looking for, have a great write up for the item(s) and are willing to answer questions. While Craigslist can help you move stuff out, it seems that Facebook Marketplace has the potential for much better visibility and a method of contact that people prefer. Venues such as these, have and will continue to spell the doom for eBay and eventually PayPal as well.

Nothing will bother eBay much since it's an international platform expect maybe eBays own policies. It will be interesting to how Paypal fares after eBay drops them though. The transition to Adyen starts this Summer with everyone transitioning to the new payment scheme next year with Paypal being only a checkout option.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_metal_detector.gif
I set my MarketPlace searces to within 5 miles of my home. I always meet the seller at a public place and pay in cash.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing will bother eBay much since it's an international platform expect maybe eBays own policies. It will be interesting to how Paypal fares after eBay drops them though. The transition to Adyen starts this Summer with everyone transitioning to the new payment scheme next year with Paypal being only a checkout option.
I guess I missed the memo on this BS. I've never heard of Adyen nor do I want to do business with them. Ebay is constantly stabbing themselves over and over. Eventually they will hit an artery and bleed out. Complete and total idiocracy at the head of that table. Like a junkie, they are their own worst enemy. I feel sorry for their investors.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
tn_metal_detector.gif
I set my MarketPlace searces to within 5 miles of my home. I always meet the seller at a public place and pay in cash.

That's the safest route for Craigslist too. But being in a small town I usually have to travel 20, 30 miles for any deals.

I guess I missed the memo on this BS. I've never heard of Adyen nor do I want to do business with them. Ebay is constantly stabbing themselves over and over. Eventually they will hit an artery and bleed out. Complete and total idiocracy at the head of that table. Like a junkie, they are their own worst enemy. I feel sorry for their investors.

If it transitions as planned you won't actually be doing business with them. They'll process the buyers payment and transfer it to eBay which will then pay you. It will be an Amazon type payment schedule. More details are supposed to released in the Summer Seller Update and then the transition will start.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009

I'm definitely not a fan of many of the changes they have made. Seems to me like job justification rather than innovation. The switch to Adyen is near the top of my **** list. I've got a system for using PayPal reports to keep track of inventory. It's not the latest & greatest way to do things but it works for me. Not sure what I'll do after the switch but I know I'll waste several hours (days?) figuring out a new system.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They'll process the buyers payment and transfer it to eBay which will then pay you. It will be an Amazon type payment schedule. More details are supposed to released in the Summer Seller Update and then the transition will start.

Isn't this what they did with paypal? why did they git rid of something that worked?

never mind I just remembered we were talking about feeBay.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Isn't this what they did with paypal? why did they git rid of something that worked?

never mind I just remembered we were talking about feeBay.

AFAIK it was a requirement of the original separation agreement. If they took on a new processor without the managed payment it would of probably went over better. A lot of people stay on eBay because of Amazons requirements are a bit much for the average seller. I believe Esty uses managed payments too so I guess eBay is just following the trend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread