Playing around with cubic priority

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was playing around with cubic priority rates.

Here is one using an off the shelf USPS priority box.It's outside dimensions about 13.3 x 11.75 x 2.5

Comes out to a .3 cubic priority rate. With this box, it is cheaper to ship 1 or 2 lbs. regular priority. But from 3 lbs. to 20 lbs. can be shipped cubic priority for $11.39.

Another off the shelf USPS priority box, dimensions are about 15.5x12.5x3.25. Comes out to .4 cubic priority rate. Once again, 1 or 2 lbs. priority are cheaper, but to zone 8 3 to 20 lbs. can be shipped for $14.79

Anther example if you compare a large flat rate, 12x12x5.5, cost is $17.60 zones 1 -9. . If you use the same size box, up to 20 lbs. to zone 1 is only $8.07, cubic .5 priority rate. To zone 8, flat rate is $.31 cheaper.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was playing around with cubic priority rates.

Here is one using an off the shelf USPS priority box.It's outside dimensions about 13.3 x 11.75 x 2.5

Comes out to a .3 cubic priority rate. With this box, it is cheaper to ship 1 or 2 lbs. regular priority. But from 3 lbs. to 20 lbs. can be shipped cubic priority for $11.39.

Another off the shelf USPS priority box, dimensions are about 15.5x12.5x3.25. Comes out to .4 cubic priority rate. Once again, 1 or 2 lbs. priority are cheaper, but to zone 8 3 to 20 lbs. can be shipped for $14.79

Anther example if you compare a large flat rate, 12x12x5.5, cost is $17.60 zones 1 -9. . If you use the same size box, up to 20 lbs. to zone 1 is only $8.07, cubic .5 priority rate. To zone 8, flat rate is $.31 cheaper.

Unless something has changed, my post office always rounded the fractional numbers up to the next full number when measuring boxes. For example: 13.3 x 11.75 x 2.5 = 14 x 12 x 3 at my post office.

OP
OP
D

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, either does Etsy. But sometimes, both on Ebay and Etsy, the label would print out a cubic priority label. But I was always charged commercial rate priority, with either Ebay or paypal pocketing the difference. I brought this up before, last year or the year before.

I now use Pirate Ship. They support cubic priority. Plus I can use my paypal to pay for the shipping now, and get the 1% cash back.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I'm going to have to look into that. I price shipping into most of my eBay listings so anything I save adds to the bottomline.

abbynormal

Sep 17, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I have found Pirate Ship to have the best deals on shipping. Anyone trying to figure out the shipping game may want to take a look at this site. :)

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I have found Pirate Ship to have the best deals on shipping. Anyone trying to figure out the shipping game may want to take a look at this site. :)

Thanks to one of you guys on this post I now use Pirate for all of my non-feeBay shipping. About a dozen times now. They say you get the best price but the times I checked they are the same as ebay.

I sell a lot of coins and ship 1st class package. Costs about $3 to $5 to do on ebay and print out a label, but with facebook sales I can't use ebay shipping and on the USPS website they will not sell 1st class postage they try to get you to go priority so they can make more $$. But Pirate gives me the option of 1st class package at ebay prices.

Also on their opening page just scroll down and you will see every purchase AND all the tracking. I just did that and I see my latest sale will arrive this thursday.

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
D Dog,
Thanks for pirate ship info.:thumbsup:
Never heard of them.
I only spend $300-400 a year on shipping.
Mainly priority packages, which I really don't need to do most of the time, but that's the only thing the local PO offers.
Signed up with pirate ship.
Now instead of a $20.00 priority box, I can ship for less half the price.
Spent $20.00 to send my detector for repair, looked up rates on pirate ship, zone 4 priority is $9.12.
Big savings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread