a buyer with 0 feedback wanting to buy a very expensive item seems fishy?

snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 bounty hunter 2200's garrett at pro 2 garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Grey

Greenie
Jul 16, 2019
USA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it seems weird indeed. Maybe you should wait for another buyer?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Nope. I don't deal with new eBay accounts. Let them build their feedback rating on someone else. If he is that interested, have him use an intermediary with an established account/reputation.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will sell to buyers with zero feedback, but not with anything expensive. Use to be you could find out if they had other screen names, but I do not know where I found it. Maybe some else knows.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I will NEVER trust eBay again. Wife sold some items, buyers returned a different item and then claimed it was not as advertised. eBay always backed the buyer despite my wife's impeccable record and photos of the real item in the box, ready to be shipped. Fool me once...
dts

Last edited:

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't trust it with a expensive item. I sell to a lot of 0 rating buyers, but everything is under $40.00.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell a fair amount to zero activity buyers. Nothing of great value however.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IMHO: It's to risky with no feedback for a high value item. :icon_thumleft:

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I have sold to zero feedback buyers...but the most has been under $400. But I’m a gambler and risk taker...I used to sell on eBay when we mailed money orders back and forth.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be curious as a separate thread in how many buyers other sellers have blocked. I know my list keeps growing. Once on the list, I never take them off regardless of circumstances.

Here is my list. Less than 10 are because they caused trouble. All the rest are from others lists. (someone would warn about a buyer or seller and I would add them.)

2bushgardens, amyp1664, bryanhamilton1, cad777864, cdickerson361, chatho777, christopherthissen, dallasresellers, dezoologist, earthmetalgear, g-mouse, georgebarcellos, globiker, jonnyray50, julicesa-73, kzkz15, lacyway6, largedistant1201, largedistant1202, largedistant1203, largedistant1204, largedistant1205, largedistant1206, largedistant1207, largedistant1208, largedistant1209, largedistant1210, largedistant1211, largedistant1212, largedistant1213, largedistant1214, largedistant1215, largedistant1216, largedistant1217, largedistant1218, largedistant1219, largedistant1220, lectronix2020, library_services, lmweb68, lovemy*boys, luvmylife57, marketing-master1, mricheyus, nguyen321, pti1172, raj1000561, richest110, sean.gherciu, sellit78money, simplysellingstuffdenver, sparkleplenty122, torrdo9, uniquefindings-650, voitsekh_k, wb5757, wesellitall2020, widowssonjoseph, xa-electronics

I hope none of you guys are up there.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Dan, I haven't been back on eBay for over 5 years. I think I purchased some things from you back then, more than a couple.

I was always pleased, my friend. Stay safe, and stay solvent. Please let us know on here when you have something "special" going :)

It's always DEEP out there :)

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will NEVER trust eBay again. Wife sold some items, buyers returned a different item and then claimed it was not as advertised. eBay always backed the buyer despite my wife's impeccable record and photos of the real item in the box, ready to be shipped. Fool me once...
dts

The big problem with selling on ebay is if the buyer states "not as described" Ebay will refund their money before you get the item back. Then try to get it back.... Good luck...

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
If someone has 0 feedback I typically take my chances and will sell them things of relatively low value (Sub $500 in most cases). If it's an international buyer with 0 feedback, I cancel the transaction. If someone is purchasing a Rolex or a high valued item ($2500+), I typically require 100 or more feedback, although I will sell to people with less. I always call the person and speak to them directly, then ship the package Express mail with full insurance, and then follow up with another call. If they don't have a phone number on eBay, or wont talk to me directly, I will just cancel the transaction. At over 7000 transactions now, some in the five figure range, I have yet to have a major problem, knock on wood.

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The big problem with selling on ebay is if the buyer states "not as described" Ebay will refund their money before you get the item back. Then try to get it back.... Good luck...

Quoted for truth! Paypal is bad that way also.
Getting to be the new norm in America. Up to the victim to prove anything. Sad..

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebay can take the money put it on hold if he wants a refund all he has to do is ship anything back to you showing he did and your out the money Not saying all new debaters are bad people just be careful even if you put a no return policy which I dont think you can anymore you have to accept returns. Be careful

EQ8

Feb 1, 2020
Sw Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebay can take the money put it on hold if he wants a refund all he has to do is ship anything back to you showing he did and your out the money Not saying all new debaters are bad people just be careful even if you put a no return policy which I dont think you can anymore you have to accept returns. Be careful

You can post "No returns" but as you said, it is meaningless. They refund anyway.

OP
OP
snowdogg70

snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 bounty hunter 2200's garrett at pro 2 garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its true you can say no returns but it doesnt matter if the buyer wants a return he will get it, well the seller i was talking about in this thread never did come back but a few weeks ago i had a buyer with 0 feedback buy it but he never paid!

john845

Dec 26, 2017
Newburgh ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Class III SL. Spectrum xlt Tesoro Vaquero Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a buyer buy a couple metal detectors from me. I listed them for parts and as none working a few months went by and then he wanted too return them he claimed I sent him different detector s then the ones pictured. I denied the return because he got exactly what he bid on. I also moved money from my PayPal. He never got a refund from me. But he did leave bad feedback. I have been selling more higher dollar items then usual lately. I haven't had a problem with the feedback. I haven't had a buyer bring it up. Just recently I had a new buyer win a auction for $630. He couldn't pay me and strung me along for 5 days before I had to relist the item. Now this same guy is bidding on it again. I should just block him. He even tried to get me to sell it to him off site. I never responded to his messages about that. I just can't believe some people. How can you bid something that high and I know he doesn't even have a bank account. He was telling me his NetSpend card address didn't match his PayPal address. NetSpend is a prepaid debit card. I have one myself I use with pay pal. This guy only had 4 feedbacks. My father is a top rated seller and he always tells me to be careful with new accounts or very little feedback. He got beat out of a $800 license plate that he shipped over seas. I guess you can't track it after it leaves the country. I wish sellers had more protection. It gets me very angry.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread