How does the new sales tax thingy work on Ebay?

Prairie Prowler

May 7, 2006
Midwest ILL
Detector(s) used
Fisher1266-/ CZ-20 / Sovereign XS/Excalibur II / Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering this too I recently sold an item to resident in VA ..sent an invoice which showed nothing of the taxing on it. Sent another Invoice to confirm and the tax portion came up ..as 6%..however the first invoice never had an amount for taxes ..the Buyer paid the first invoice amt. $60.00 without the added tax amount..Hmmmm

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed that also

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked to a couple folks who sell lots on Ebay. Much more than any ordinary mortal. Apparently if you sell more than $20k a year, gross, they will send you a 1099.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I talked to a couple folks who sell lots on Ebay. Much more than any ordinary mortal. Apparently if you sell more than $20k a year, gross, they will send you a 1099.

Sell more than $20K and 200 transactions will get you the 1099 and the IRS notified of your “business” income. EBay is required by law at that point. And so are you of course.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep got mine already

Diggin' History

Jan 27, 2020
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, DR.OTEK MT-XR, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, a GP Pointer Handheld Pinpointer, and a GUZI Waterproof Handheld Pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One other thing to note is that they are now charging tax on Shipping Costs.
-DH-

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5- Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a Snap On Dealer in Kenosha, Wi and also sold tools in Racine,Wi. Both counties had different tax bases. I had to charge the tax for what every county I was in and send it to that county. If you shop on Amazon you will notice they charge tax for the state the product is delivered to. In my many years of being in business I had couple of shop owners who got audited for sales tax. They were not very happy. I can tell you that being audited by the state or government is a very bad thing. Once they get your number they can make life miserable for you. If I were you I would get a account and talk to him or her. I always looked at my account as a good insurance policy.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009

Sell more than $20K and 200 transactions will get you the 1099 and the IRS notified of your “business” income. EBay is required by law at that point. And so are you of course.

Under IRS guidelines you are required by law to file taxes once you hit the $600 mark.....

mh9162013

Mar 22, 2019
KY
Detector(s) used
Fisher Research Labs F2, Equinox 600, Pro-Find 35, & Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Under IRS guidelines you are required by law to file taxes once you hit the $600 mark.....

My understanding is that the $600 threshold has nothing to do with what becomes taxable income or not. It has to do with reporting requirements of someone else. So once PayPal, ebay, someone who pays you, etc. starts reporting something to the IRS (which is often required once you hit the $600 threshold), then the IRS learns of income they wouldn't otherwise know about. That's why you you "need" to start filing/paying taxes at the $600 mark.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
My understanding is that the $600 threshold has nothing to do with what becomes taxable income or not. It has to do with reporting requirements of someone else. So once PayPal, ebay, someone who pays you, etc. starts reporting something to the IRS (which is often required once you hit the $600 threshold), then the IRS learns of income they wouldn't otherwise know about. That's why you you "need" to start filing/paying taxes at the $600 mark.

I stand partially corrected. The $600 point is where most places are required to issue a 1099 (no idea why it's $20k for PayPal). That creates a paper trail that helps the IRS enforce the law....which is that your are required to pay tax on any money made in a side hustle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread