Charity Donation - Waiving Selling Fees?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Question for those who opt to donate a percentage of the final selling value to charity. eBay says they will waive the basic selling fees if the seller chooses to donate. My question is the minimum donation percentage is 10%. eBay's basic selling fees are 13%. Am I correct in thinking that by selecting 10% to a charity that I'll save 3% in selling fees?

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea. I have never donated through eBay I do know that the basic fee is different than the final value fee

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only way to know for sure is to read all the terms and conditions. Or call them and wait for a few centuries until a person comes on the line.

OP
OP
Diver_Down

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I have no idea. I have never donated through eBay I do know that the basic fee is different than the final value fee

That is what I meant on the final value fee. From what I understand (from reading only), it doesn't apply to any upgrade services (Gallery Plus, Reserves, etc.) I was looking to donate to help with Dorian relief efforts. Then as I read further, it is my understanding that their is a net 3% savings on fees.

OP
OP
Diver_Down

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Most items have a 10% fee. It's only when you add PayPal that you get up to 13%.

I've only ever used PayPal. Back in the early days, buyers/sellers would deal in money orders and other nonsense. Is there another option to get paid that doesn't incur the cost of PayPal?

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I've only ever used PayPal. Back in the early days, buyers/sellers would deal in money orders and other nonsense. Is there another option to get paid that doesn't incur the cost of PayPal?

eBay is rolling out their own payment system and plan to phase out PayPal. I think the only thing that will change is who gets the processing fee. My point was the 10% minimum donation will be a wash in most cases. You won't be saving anything. If you have a store & TRS status your fees run 8 or 9% depending on return policy which means you would be paying an extra point or two for donating.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread