Managed payments?

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Not sure what email you're talking about but eBay has been transitioning towards their own payment system for a while now. Not something I'm looking forward to. I use PayPal statements to help with my inventory. Now I'll have tofigure out a new system.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah eBay sent out an announcement to me about it. I'm also not looking forward to it. They should have left PayPal for those who want to use it.

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't gotten an email either. What was the timeline they gave for the switch? I like PayPal so I'm not happy.

I have heard that once they switch over there will be a 'per item' charge of something like $1.25. Anyone else hear this?

So if you sell 1 thing to a buyer - $1.25. Same buyer buys 3 items $3.75 charge. It sounds like something you can roll into your item cost, unless you are a seller who sells lots of small items where people can choose quantities. Let's say you are a bead seller who charges $2 for a pack of beads with multiples available. If a buyer selects 10 lots of those $2 beads you will now be charged $1.25 for each lot -$12.50. Sellers will have to switch to pre-packaged larger lots or not offer drop-down small multiples but ask buyers to contact directly for custom orders.

Apparently some early adopters of Managed Payments will have a lower 'per item' charge.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that's bull crap if that's what they're planning on. They said that most sellers would see lower fees, so it seemed like they would basically leave fees the same and then you just wouldn't have a paypal fee. They're supposed to send another email and then its supposed to become standard in like May or June I think it said. Personally, I don't want to see the thousands of payments added to my bank statement. I like only having a few so I can glance in a hurry and check the statements. Paypal was good for the thousands of payments with the search feature and all of that.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I haven't heard the rumor about $1.25/item fee. I've gotten a few emails from eBay about the switch but none recently. From what I understand the fee for using managed payments will be separate from final value fees and is supposed to be less than PayPal fees. Even if that's true I'm not happy about the switch as I'll have to figure out a new system for inventory.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the paypal download at the end of each year. It tells me everything I need to know about money in and out. I match it up with order printouts just to make sure my records are straight.

There were a few things I did not like. The main one was if I bought something like postage to ship an item paypal would enter that four times and not all right next to each other. (it is on a spreadsheet) I would have to go in and locate all four lines and delete three of them.

battlecat

Dec 23, 2004
moosic pa
My understanding is managed payments will be forced on all of us eventually. some people already are using it, but I know I am used to paypal and really just want to use that. Looks like we will not have a choice, just not sure when it will switch over

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My understanding is managed payments will be forced on all of us eventually. some people already are using it, but I know I am used to paypal and really just want to use that. Looks like we will not have a choice, just not sure when it will switch over

That's what I took from it too.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got another email about this today saying I'm required to register by July 15 or something like that. It looks like PayPal will still be an option, but a bank account is still required or something like that, so they can send the direct payments from Apple pay, or whatever to that, I guess. Anyone else get an email? Seems like a lot of trouble for really no good to me.

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are just trying to figure a way to make more money. Think about it. PayPal gets their 3% fee. That is money that eBay is loosing out on.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, you're probably right. Just seems like a lot of hassle for no good, but maybe we'll see increased sales as a result. I guess I'll need to open another bank account....

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They take too much money as it is with this promotional listing fee as well

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I read it correctly this payment management if you sign up for it you could not sell coins or paper money has anybody else seen it

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I read it correctly this payment management if you sign up for it you could not sell coins or paper money has anybody else seen it

Nope, I didn't see that. It doesn't look to me like there is a choice to sign up or not

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really didn't pay any attention to this until I read your thread here. I don't like the sounds of this at all. Have you all read it in it's entirety? Especially the part about disputes and the fees associated with those disputes.
https://pages.ebay.com/payment/2.0/terms.html#june2019

Not to mention now we will have all these payments on our bank accounts instead of on paypal.
I really do hate ebay, or at least the ingrates running the joint.

FYI- You know certain facebook groups have a lot to offer in terms of selling items, even some prohibited items that you can't sell on ebay. I made over 30 sales in 10 hours one day on a Native American Jewelry lovers group. Made over $1400 in a single day.

Disputes
In the event that a buyer or the owner of a payment instrument initiates a chargeback, a direct debit reversal, a PayPal buyer protection claim, or otherwise asks their financial institution to open a payment dispute (all referred to as “Dispute”) in connection with a Managed Payments transaction, you understand that we may investigate and, in our discretion, represent the Dispute with the credit and debit card networks or other payment method providers. You agree to provide timely information to assist in our Dispute investigations and understand that your failure to provide requested information on the timeline we require and as specified by credit and debit card networks' and other payment service providers' rules could adversely impact the outcome of a Dispute investigation, up to complete forfeiture of the amounts in dispute. You will not contest the resolution of any Dispute that we investigate and/or re-present, nor will you re-open resolved Dispute investigations. You authorize us to pay on your behalf any amounts resulting from a Dispute, including costs and fees associated with re-presentment.
Although you accept the finality of our chargeback investigations, we may from time to time ask for your consent to participate in an optional arbitration process brought by us to contest the results of an individual chargeback. If you consent to chargeback arbitration, you authorize us to represent and defend you throughout the arbitration. You will be responsible for all costs and expenses, including reasonable legal fees and any arbitration fees assessed by third parties, arising from such arbitration proceedings, and you authorize us to pay these amounts on your behalf while the arbitration is pending.

Payments Dispute Fees

Upon the conclusion of a Dispute investigation and/or re-presentment that results in you being found responsible for the chargeback or other disputed amounts, we charge a $20 payments dispute fee, excluding any applicable sales tax, for each Dispute. You may appeal the payments dispute fee within 30 days from when we invoice the payments dispute fee if you believe that you have been charged in error.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I don't like the sounds of it either. I think I may just go as long as I can without registering until they force me to register. I don't like the sounds of the stuff you posted, and I really don't want all of those payments showing in my eBay bank account. That's why I have PayPal. I hate my banks online platform as well. I just don't understand why they needed to change.

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I honestly will probably just stop using eBay. Technically you can do Facebook market place and ship. I don’t see how it’s any different from eBay, granted I have not looked to hard into the ship option.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I honestly will probably just stop using eBay. Technically you can do Facebook market place and ship. I don’t see how it’s any different from eBay, granted I have not looked to hard into the ship option.

May main problem with the facebook sites is everyone knowing who you are, so they expect buddy deals, and I had a ton of people back out on those, not to mention the lack of traffic. It is great for certain, focused items, but for most of the stuff I sell it isn't that great of a market. I know a lot of people make a lot of money on them though. Props to you guys that do. I just wish eBay would stop doing dumb stuff. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread