I want to block bidders that may cause problems.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been through all the settings I could find and nothing. I am sure I saw an option many years ago.

ebay makes it so hard for anyone to contact them. Even on the EMAIL us page I had to hunt for the message page.

I have already been to the Buyer Block Preferences page. This is where I think it should be.

This is my problem.

I have started listing several items over $100 (silver coins) I do not want someone with a very low feedback number to even be able to bid. I am afraid a low number or even a zero is a fake account to just get things and disappear after getting their money refunded.

Is there a setting I can do to stop this? I have already been to the Buyer Block Preferences page. I want to set it where anyone that has under 100% positive and less than 25 FB can not bid.

If I can not do that I want to see what a winner has bought and any feedback they have received. If I don't like I would just cancel, refund and relist. I bet I would be the bad guy there, you all know ebay doesn't care about sellers.

(I already had a blocked bidders page, but I have to know ahead of time their ebay names)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't proactively block a bidder with 0 or 1 feedback. If someone does you wrong, you can go to Help & Contact, then type in block buyer, and put their user id there and save.

Basically, I do not ship outside the US. Some people just don't get it. The thing to do is plainly state in your listing, something like do not bid if you have under 10 transactions or such. Then watch your items and look at the bidders, if someone bids, delete the bid and add them to your blocked bidders list at that time.

If you put in your terms of sales will not sell to people with less than 10 feedbacks, you can cancel their bids without blowback.

For some reason I have never had a problem with people with 0 or 1 feedbacks.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Cancelling a sale is a defect unless the buyer requests it. Get enough of them & your account will be closed.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I havent had issues with low FB buyers but I dont sell high price items. I sell fishing pole racks and rack clips ect. its part of selling on ebay theres always crappy people you will get burned sometimes even with people with high FB I also dont ship out of the US

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cancelling a bid because they did not abide by your terms and conditions is not the same as cancelling a sale. I have never had a problem with Ebay cancelling a bid to something that specifically stated would not ship to outside the US.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Cancelling a bid because they did not abide by your terms and conditions is not the same as cancelling a sale. I have never had a problem with Ebay cancelling a bid to something that specifically stated would not ship to outside the US.

If you don't want to sell internationally (I don't) you should set your shipping preferences to reflect that. Once you do eBay won't allow international bids.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
What smokeythecat said^^. State it in your listings and cancel the bids BEFORE the listing ends. I sell high priced items and have sold to zero feedback people with no issue the majority of the time.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I'll go ahead & repeat myself. If you don't want to ship internationally set your shipping preferences to exclude countries you don't ship to. Once it's done people with addresses in those countries will be blocked from bidding.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't want to ship internationally set your shipping preferences to exclude countries you don't ship to. Once it's done people with addresses in those countries will be blocked from bidding.

Not always. I have had it happen to me 3-4 times. There are companies on the east coast and west coast that act a freight forwarders for foreign buyers. My examples that I know about:

Japanese buyer used company in L.A. area.
Russian buyer used company in New Jersey
Some island buyer (Bahamas or Bermuda or ??) used company in Miami

Buyer has account with company and all their wins get shipped to that company to be forwarded. ebay know about these companies and their rules are once it gets to the USA company seller is no longer responsible. I found out about this type of company when a buyer messaged me that he necer got the order. I started doing some research on him and the address. I called ebay and they said no problem because it showed that it was delivered to USA company.

These companies only specialize in one country. Like the one in L.A. area only forwards to Japan, even their website is in Japanese and they are not cheap.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with that. As long as you have proof the item shipped to a US address you are in the clear. The one mistake people make is NOT getting a tracking number.

I have absolutely never had a problem with a lost shipment or claim on such. Nothing to worry about.

I frankly don't care where the product goes as long as its paid for. After all, even if sold down the street, it doesn't mean it won't be resold anywhere else on earth.

Last edited:

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How is it possible for them to get a refund and disappear without returning the item? If you are shipping through eBay and getting the tracking number, this should never happen. I've shipped tens of thousands of books on eBay since 1998 and have never had that happen.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CreakyDigger, on your point, unless the return shows back to me, no refund is issued and I've been doing this over 20 years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread