Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold a pen nib for $23.75 , the guy opened a case through paypal , I provided paypal the tracking number , It says it was delivered on May 15 at 2:16 PM .May 15, 2020, 2:16 pm
Delivered
PORTLAND, OR 97238
Your item was delivered at 2:16 pm on May 15, 2020 in PORTLAND, OR 97238

We've completed our review of this case and decided in favor of your buyer. The buyer stated they never received the item, and the proof of delivery details provided could not be verified.
We refunded $23.75 USD to them.

What the heck !

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah ebay sides with buyers pretty much. What can you do outside of sending everything certified or leave a positive feedback as that's all you can do with a warning message saying this buyer paid and got the merchandise, but I had to give the money back. Maybe someday a new similar to ebay site will be created that'll operate like the old days of ebay where deadbeats don't get away with the dishonestly like they can now.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I've had a few claims like that and eBay decided in my favor. I print all my postage through eBay so tracking is generated when the label is printed. How was your item shipped? Is this an eBay refund or PayPal?

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Through paypal

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Paypal refunds alot but Ive never had it taken out of my account if I had tracking and it showed delivered..Thats wierd Ive been selling well over 15 years Well I guess with covid theres more POS people taking packages off porches and that kinda thing......

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Paypal refunds alot but Ive never had it taken out of my account if I had tracking and it showed delivered..Thats wierd Ive been selling well over 15 years Well I guess with covid theres more POS people taking packages off porches and that kinda thing......

That sure is a possibility Tommy. I’ve had more than one package and mail take flight off my porch.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was actively selling on eBay, I would video every step. From the item, the item functioning, putting it in the box and placing the label on the package with the shipping “To” and “From” clearly shown in the video.
I then sent it USPS Priority, Insured with Signature Confirmation.
Zero problems with over 700 transactions.
It cost more but the lack of stress was worth it. I realize that it’s not practical if it’s a low cost item.

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess you can't call them any more . Ebay or paypal - because of covid 19 . Texting paypal is a joke ! $23.75 isn't a lot of money , but it is a lot to me right now .

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry that happened to you thats pretty crappy. I think if you sell electronics or jewelry it happens alot more that other items. At least that wasnt a pricey item and I think for the most part mose people who buy on ebay are Honest people. Though there is alot more online buying going on now.....

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m sorry as well. Not a good outcome or customer service for the people that keep their bread buttered.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sucks. Was it an ebay sale? If so, the buyer should have went through them. Ebay may have refunded them, but it would been their dime, not your's.

I haven't sold in a while, but I've had a couple of cases opened where delivery confirmation showed delivered. Ebay refunded the buyers, but I was covered by their seller's protection program.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Through paypal

I didn't think that would have happened through eBay. They have a lot of flaws but that's one thing they do right. I print labels through paypal very rarely but this incident will make me rethink that.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry to hear of your bad luck. pretty petty that sucks i've been a victim also and so many other hard working treasure seekers

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is interesting to note. My wife and I both sell on Ebay. She recently had a sale that was nearly identical circumstances, but ebay sided with her. The buyer believes it was stolen off their porch. Still, it was no longer in the seller's hands or usps' for that matter. Insurance would be null and void at that point as well. Burden is on the buyer after that. Heck, it's the only thing between me going and buying a couple carat diamond ring that just never arrives..

Last edited:

Indigo Knight

Aug 10, 2017
Southern New England, USA
Primary Interest:
Other
You can usually appeal a decision in a case like this. It's unusual that they ruled in the buyer's favor for nondelivery if tracking shows delivered to the correct zip code. However, these companies are all understaffed right now.

As upsetting as it is, having to refund under $25 is really nothing to complain about. The buyer is actually shooting themself in the foot by opening a claim for such an inexpensive item (after so many claims, PayPal will suspend their account). If it was a sale made on eBay, be sure to block the buyer from purchasing anything else from you.

To put it in perspective, last week I had to issue a partial refund to a buyer for $475.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good news , I sent paypal an appeal request , I won !
That would have been my advice also. Glad you got refunded, In the future it helps if you print labels via ebay. I've never had a item not received case lost when showing delivered. Always print via ebay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread