Was this wrong? What to do in the future?

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I was selling a watch on ebay and received an offer from a buyer. I countered his offer and almost immediately as I submitted it I noticed it was a brand new account with an address that didnt make much sense. I panicked and ended the listing and chose the reason that it contained an error. Did I mess up or is this acceptable? It was a higher priced item for me and I didnt want to risk a no feedback buyer. Should I have canceled the offer directly?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends. I for one have never had a problem with new buyers. I would have waited a bit. An address not making sense means what? Out of the country?

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based in China with a New York address?

I cant have anything negative placed upon me for cancelling early after making a buyer an offer can I?

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A new buyer doesnt mean they are a bad buyer ,alot of the bad buyers have some feedback too you will never know. Someone may have just searched eBay for that item. I say accept and send with signature confirmation

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay thank you, I will remember to do that in the future! But still, can anything bad come from this? Shall I just relist the item or just keep it off for now and enjoy it for myself?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Okay thank you, I will remember to do that in the future! But still, can anything bad come from this? Shall I just relist the item or just keep it off for now and enjoy it for myself?

Nothing bad will come of you ending the listing other than missing out on the sale. Relist it, but don't expect other potential buyers from being wary as they are witness to a seller cancelling and relisting the same item. If you don't want to ship internationally, then select the option in your listing. If you don't want to contend with substandard offers, then define the minimum offer that you are willing to accept. You won't see offers that don't meet your minimum. You will be notified of offers (allowing you to counteroffer) that meet your offer range.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ve sold to new buyers with no problem. Your buyer sounds like a person in China who uses a US address to get their items. I’ve sold several items that way, but mostly on the West coast. And they tend to pay more than others.

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This same exact thing happened to me again. Ebay gave me the option to send an offer to a potential buyer on another item and that same buyer sent me a message with 0 feedback telling me to ship it to St. Petersburg, Russia.............. Before they accepted the offer I cancelled it. I had to translate what they typed. I noted in the shipping while listing United States only but now I have set my account settings to block all buyers from international countries.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
This same exact thing happened to me again. Ebay gave me the option to send an offer to a potential buyer on another item and that same buyer sent me a message with 0 feedback telling me to ship it to St. Petersburg, Russia.............. Before they accepted the offer I cancelled it. I had to translate what they typed. I noted in the shipping while listing United States only but now I have set my account settings to block all buyers from international countries.

I'm sorry that you keep getting the run-around. Some will say that they have no problem with international buyers and that by eliminating them, they are losing sales. To each their own, but I don't sell/ship outside of the US. I never have to deal with the scenarios that you describe. Also, when it comes to making offers, you can send an offer only once to each unique buyer's ID. I only send offers after there are a group of watchers. I send the offer to all with the disclaimer that the same offer is being sent to X-number of potential buyers. I also explain to them that this is the only offer that I'm permitted by eBay to send regardless of how long they choose to watch my listing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread