Today's ebay find: Sometimes there is gold in silver!

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like many of you, I buy/sell/collect silver. Normally it's near impossible to find bullion at a deal so I often turn to scrap lots. If I find some nice items, I'll keep or resell and hold/melt the scrap.

I received one lot I recently purchased today. So I buy this one in particular thinking a few pieces were in nicer shape than they were (ended up being almost all damaged). So I'm pawing through the bits and pieces trying to figure out what I could sell to make any money. There is this nice heavy sterling setting that some yahoo yanked the solitaire stone out of. So I tells myself ok maybe this is nice enough even as a sterling setting for someone to put a stone into. So I examine closely. I notice one of the two prongs is cut back. Ffs. Scrap it is my first thought.
20200602_052357.jpg
20200602_052416.jpg
As I'm thinking this I realize there are yellow gold accents on the side. Okay so maybe it's a designer ring - better at least check for a mark.
20200602_052520.jpg
First I spot 14K mark. Great at least I got a tiny bit of gold. Then I read the other mark on the other side.

20200602_052550.jpg
"LR" or "LA". Okay.. don't know that one. So I'm looking for the "925". Don't see it. Check again, nothing. Okay surely its silver, but I'll just test it to stop this rising fever taking over me.
20200602_052630.jpg
I make three Marks on my scratch pad. I start with the 18k acid first. Surely it'll show me that sweet blueish white. Nope. Black. I keep myself calm - surely it's some Chinese fake then. I try the 10k acid. Holds. Then the 14k. Holds.

In all its glory, a gifted 8.1g chunk of 14k gold (well, technically $0.49/gram)

TLDR: Check your silver for gold and praise the PM gods if you find some!

Last edited:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..... 8.1g chunk of 14k gold (well, technically $0.49/gram)....

Congrats.

Ok, I'm curious. Let's pretend I'm not real familiar with gold prices (alright, no pretending involved!). What is the phrase "(well, technically $0.49/gram)" referring to? Seems like 14k would be more valuable than $0.49/gram.

(I did Google a gold calculator that said your find had a value of about $264.00.)

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good score and good eye. I find alot of gems like that at thrift stores sometimes a lb or 2 of silver.Not as aeasy on Ebay good job on that....Tommy

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! Yeah $0.49/gram is what I paid for the sterling lot.. I think $113 altogether. Basically that ring pays for this one, the next one, and two ounces of .999 or so.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good score and good eye. I find alot of gems like that at thrift stores sometimes a lb or 2 of silver.Not as aeasy on Ebay good job on that....Tommy

Ebay theres a ton of competition and the pickings are slim.. most are out to make a profit. This is the second time I've found gold in a silver lot.. last one was two dainty 14k diamond necklaces that were tangled up pretty bad. Somehow I found the patience to untangle them 8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread