eBay starting to really suck

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I sent out a poster the other day and a day later after they received it he sent me a message stating that it was damaged during shipping that the poster tube was bent in half and the poster was bent in half so I asked him if he could send me a photo of the damaged item and I got no reply for a week next thing I know he open a case to return it that the item was damaged and he would like to turn it to the seller so I called eBay to explain to them that I requested photos and he did not reply and they were siding on his side saying that I had no choice so I asked to talk to a supervisor and they told me there was not one available that they would call me back in 24 to 48 hours as of today I’ve asked him three other times to send photos because the package was insured and I could send the photos to the post office still no reply

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Ask for photos or the return of the item. Tell the buyer that you won't contest a refund if they can at a minimum supply photos. With the photos, you can file a claim with the post office for the cost of the item and shipping. (screenshot of the final selling amount with shipping) At most, you will be out the eBay fee if they don't credit you after the resolution.

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I sent him like eight messages total was completely ignored.eBay made their decision today and cited on his side and told him to send it back even after I called them and they could see the messages with no reply they still cited on his side and basically told me I didn’t have a choice and I ask them when the package shows up if it’s not the one or the way I sent it which it’s not going to be what can I do they said I can appeal it but I find that hard to believe even though I followed their instructions on how to handle it Don’t quite see how it’s good business practice to force somebody to except a return when the other party is unwilling to comply by any means he has which is unbelievable to me 35 days to return it

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry you’re getting screwed by eBay but that’s their reputation. No surprise at all.
dts

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a somewhat related situation, not damage, but buyer claimed I "sent a smaller chain that was a different sized link" than what was supposed to be. I was pretty sure I sent the correct item (always match item with labeled package before sealing it up). Either way I wanted to be sure I didn't make a mistake and requested them to send photos. They never did and went the same route your buyer did. I actually asked ebay to step in after some time as the seller because the buyer never replied to my request for photos. Ebay simply had me accept the return and sure enough they sent it back. Never heard a peep from the buyer after initial request. The chain was identical.

I've had buyers tell me things like "this item is not gold its discolored" and it'll be like a brand new charm still attached to its holder and I'll get it back, removed from the holder and loose. Of course not a speck of discoloration on it. Buyers remorse runs rampant.

Some years back I had a case like these where the buyer claimed whatever, I was forced to accept the return, they were wrong, and I was pissed. I called up Ebay and basically put it like this: I shouldn't have to accept this return since they were either wrong or lying, is there no way to make them take it back? Well the representative I spoke to was new and not a native English speaker, but he agreed with me, told me to ship the item back, and even CREDITED ME to cover my shipping cost. Well, I provided tracking to the buyer AGAIN, sent it back, and never got a dime back like the representative explained I would. I called back up, explained the situation, spoke to a manager even and was basically told that's not our policy we don't do that. I was hot. Even though I was instructed to do all of this, there was no record. The credit for the shipping was viewable, but not an explanation as of what for. Ohhh it still grinds my gears.

TLDR: Just accept the return and move on. Ebay is as ebay does.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear what you are going through. I will never use the post office again to ship anything. My detector arrived at Minelab for repairs and the technician called me to say the box looked like they used it like a football.

Also, I learned that insuring the package only applies if it is lost, not damaged. Use other shipping companies and ship a poster in a pvc tube, not a cardboard tube.

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So did eBay basically say you have to accept the return and refund when it arrives

Yes they say when the tracking number shows it was delivered they will automatically refund him the money they are not even giving me time to inspect the item

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear what you are going through. I will never use the post office again to ship anything. My detector arrived at Minelab for repairs and the technician called me to say the box looked like they used it like a football.

Also, I learned that insuring the package only applies if it is lost, not damaged. Use other shipping companies and ship a poster in a pvc tube, not a cardboard tube.

I’ve had packages before where they been stomped on what it appeared to look like and I’ve had no problem claiming insurance on them the whole point behind this is that eBay should not be forcing us to except a return if the buyer is not willing to cooperate by sending pics

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it seems he is trying to wear you down and try every trick in the book to get it free.

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it seems he is trying to wear you down and try every trick in the book to get it free.

I would agree it’s been a couple of days since they supplied him with a tracking number to send it back and he still has not shipped it

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow so I finally got the supposedly poster back here some pictures I got a blank sheet of printing paper way to go eBay is it legal to post their name on here so people can block or avoid him or them IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1946.jpg

Last edited:

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they sent you a blank piece of paper isn’t that mail fraud (a federal crime?). You have to at least report this to eBay so they can follow this buyer. If the buyer has a pattern of this they close them down. You could report them to authorities too...or at least tell them you are going to do that. And let them know mail fraud is a federal crime.

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they sent you a blank piece of paper isn’t that mail fraud (a federal crime?). You have to at least report this to eBay so they can follow this buyer. If the buyer has a pattern of this they close them down. You could report them to authorities too...or at least tell them you are going to do that. And let them know mail fraud is a federal crime.

After getting on the phone again with eBay they reversed their decision I told them that they should suspend his account and who knows if he’s tried this before but I really believe eBay just paid me the money and left it at that

OP
OP
C

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to hear that the case was resolved on your behalf. I presume that you have blocked the account so that they can't scam you again.

Yes I would like to tell y’all if it’s allowed what the account was

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Know off Subject, But since You got it Resolved :hello2: Good for you :icon_thumleft:

as a Buyer This Upsets Me

Ordered a Book on the 12th.

000aaa.jpg

Because it was a Friday, I Understand the 15th

000bbb.jpg

But it Takes 3-4 days in the same Shipping Facility ?

For all I know it's Still sitting there till closer to the 23 rd ?

Needless to say I'm Considering Giving the Seller a Poor Rating on Shipping For choosing UPS Mail inovations

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know with covid packages have sat for several days at certain facilities. Glad your case was found in your favor......Theres always someone who wants to steal and cheat people....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread