Not as described return

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright guys, here we go again. So I've got a buyer that has initiated a return even though I don't offer them and of course states the item is not as described. The item that I listed was for parts only, was listed in that category, and I discussed the issue with it in the description as well as had clear pictures. No, I'm not being biased, it was very clear. So, the buyer got it about 2 weeks ago and now decides they want to open this request. I know that we as sellers almost always get screwed in this position. I am okay with a standard return where the buyer pays return shipping, since they obviously didn't read the description or anything, but I really don't want a smack for a not as described return on my account when it was clearly described with pictures and all. Any thoughts? I'm sure I'll end up just getting screwed over like normal, but I figured I would see if any of you guys have had luck in this sort of situation and if you did, how you handled it.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask them to send you pictures and tell you exactly how it doesn't fit your description. Most times their answer cuts their own throat. Save the message to send the Ebay to contest the dispute. Be ready to spend time on the phone & if not satisfied with the answer you get, ask for their supervisor. Good luck!

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask them to send you pictures and tell you exactly how it doesn't fit your description. Most times their answer cuts their own throat. Save the message to send the Ebay to contest the dispute. Be ready to spend time on the phone & if not satisfied with the answer you get, ask for their supervisor. Good luck!

I've messaged them once so far, and of course they haven't responded. Zero feedback and they're never on eBay, of course. I'm sure if they sent it back, something else would be wrong with it, or they would pack it pitifully and it would get screwed up during shipping, which would be a whole new problem. Just a cluster really. It'll be fun to deal with for sure :laughing7:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
It doesn't count against your account when someone returns an item for not as described. I suspect the buyer didn't read the description, thought it would be easy to fix, the part they needed didn't work, etc. Instead of sucking it up & paying return shipping for their mistake they want to stick you with it. Not a lot you can do about it.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't count against your account when someone returns an item for not as described. I suspect the buyer didn't read the description, thought it would be easy to fix, the part they needed didn't work, etc. Instead of sucking it up & paying return shipping for their mistake they want to stick you with it. Not a lot you can do about it.

That's kind of what it sounds to me like too. They waited a month before opening the case, and still haven't responded so I don't know if they'll even get on eBay in time to respond. I guess we'll see

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just be ready to eat the return postage and expect something to be missing. Just my experience.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this a car part? and it took weeks to say not as described?
But you get his dirty broken part back and yours is now in his car.

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this a car part? and it took weeks to say not as described?
But you get his dirty broken part back and yours is now in his car.

Yes it is. Exactly. I tried to call eBay today through several different ways, and I was never able to get ahold of them. I almost reported the buyer for misusing returns since that's clearly what the issue is here, but, I think I better save the report for if they end up sending back the damaged part, which I can almost assure will happen. I'm supposed to respond by tomorrow I think it is. I sent the buyer another, more stern message, telling them to respond so we could work the issue out. I guess we'll see what they say.

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they do return a different part you can always go the extreme route and file a theft report with their local PD

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah you could do that. They still haven't responded to anything. Is there any way to get that case deleted, or when does it expire? It seems like I've had that happen before, but I can't remember how it worked

OP
OP
B

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: still haven't heard a word from the buyer. Does anyone remember when the return expires on a NAD, and if it does, will the hold go away from my money? Or, should I report the buyer for abusing returns? Odds are they probably won't respond to the case and it will close in my favor, but, if it does, will the hold go away from the money in that case?

bc5391

Sep 23, 2016
Southern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab ,XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is what I did when I first set up my ebay account. Settings "does not accept returns"
Then if the customer is unhappy I accept his/her return, but they needs to pay for return shipping. This past spring I sold a garden tractor part, it was about 40 lbs and oversized, the buyer said it did not fit and wanted to return it, I offered to take the return, when he found out he had to pay for shipping , which was about $60 he tried to go through ebay and leave neg feedback, ebay sided with me and no feedback was left.

Most of the things I sell are 3d printed, if a buyer is unhappy I either give him a refund and he keeps the part, or I ship a replacement. Larger items as above, sorry Charlie read the description.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread