Dear sellers on ebay

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Dear sellers on ebay,

Since joining ebay about six months ago, I've been receiving feedback from about 40% of sellers. Do sellers expect buyers to leave the initial feedback? If so, tough luck.

As a buyer, once payment has been transferred from my bank Account to the seller's bank or paypal account, and I have provided a shipping address, my obligation as a buyer has been satisfied.

At this point, the seller should leave feedback.

Feedback is important for both seller and buyer in establishing credibility and trustworthiness on ebay. As most experienced ebayers know, ebay is full of dishonest sellers looking to separate a gullible buyer from his wallet. For every reputable seller there's a crook.

I am also aware that there are 'buyers' who play games. Winning an auction and not paying. What's up with that?

Any thoughts from the ebayers here? Perhaps the sellers have their own perspective on the matter?

Regards,

JG

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I sell something I leave feedback about a week after the item has been received. I don't sell much anymore though.

OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
CC: smokeythecat

I don't have a paypal account. I pay with a credit card. Apparently, some sellers want me to "mark an item as received." This can only be done from a paypal account, so I cannot oblige.

JG

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been selling for around 20 years and don't leave feedback most of the time. It is a waste of time. When Ebay started buyers or sellers could leave bad feedback. Now, only buyers can leave bad feedback. Buyers that scam sellers or don't pay can't be left bad feedback. I had a buyer that bought a motorcycle, supposed to put a $500 deposit within 48 hours. He finally sent a Paypal deposit a week later from a stolen paypal account. He had bought 5 motorcycles that week and a $400 motorcycle jacket. Paid for all of them with a stolen account. Fortunately, only the guy that had the jacket sent the item. He lost his $400 jacket. The buyer still had 100% positive feedback years after that scam. Feedback is a complete waste of time... P.S. My seller feedback is 100%.

OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
CC: Indian Steve

As they say, there are always two sides to a story. Is that true? A seller cannot leave 'bad' feedback? That doesn't seem fair or good business for ebay. I can understand why some sellers might not bother.

Regardless, it seems that feedback 'is' very important. I look at the feedback score before dealing with a seller. If a seller has a 98 and many complaints about slow shipping etc., I quickly move on.

I notice some sellers seem to leave automated feedback. The feedback appears immediately after payment.

Thanks for your perspective. It was an eye-opener.

Regards,

JG

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't consider the transaction complete until I know the buyer is satisfied, therefore no feedback until I hear from the buyer. When I purchase an item I leave feedback as soon as I receive it and am satisfied that it is as described.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been on Ebay 21 years. Really. The only time I got the bad end of a stick is when I bought something I thought was fine to find out a long time later something was the matter with it. It's only happened 3 times in 21 years.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My advice, don't get hung up on feedback and proceed according to how you think you should proceed either as a seller or buyer, without regards to how others manage fb

OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
CC: Flint, Xray, Smokey

My advice, don't get hung up on feedback and proceed according to how you think you should proceed either as a seller or buyer, without regards to how others manage fb

Slow shipping is the only real beef I've ever had with sellers. When someone ships my purchase two or three weeks after payment, I find it annoying and disrespectful. However, I've never left bad feedback for anyone. I simply leave no feedback when I am displeased and give no repeat business. I'm very loyal to sellers with whom I've had a good experience.

I think everyone has made valid points thus far, and I am taking everything under advisement. Thank you!

JG

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just do Ebay honestly as a buyer or seller. I don't play stupid reindeer games as the old joke goes! My history is perfect there. I buy way more than I sell, and when I do sell I ship the next day and always priority mail. Anything expensive has to be signed for by the buyer. Once when someone left me bad feedback, only once in 21 years, and this was a few years ago before the rules changed, and frankly I don't remember if it was something I bought or sold, but I called Ebay, I have the conceirge service, they like me, and they removed the feedback immediately. If I half remember correctly it was a slam dunk, and the evidence did support me.

I've only had one package arrive with contents remove. It was a couple years ago. Kinda odd too, package only traveled 75 miles to the destination, in transit one day and the buyer said someone opened it and removed the contents.

OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
I won't do business with a seller who sends items by 'signature confirmed' registered mail. When buying overseas, I always ask in advance before hitting the buy or bid button. My first purchase on ebay was a button from a seller in Spain. They sent it by registered mail and I am never home to sign for it. I can't go to the Post Office (for reasons you might surmise [NJ]. This button has crossed the Atlantic three times! I finally told the seller to keep the button and keep my money. I would make no complaint and leave no feedback.

If it was a 14k Revolutionary War Cannon, I could understand sending it by registered mail. But a $50 button?

JG

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jacob, $50 button, no, $500 button you sign or go home empty handed. I leave the signed little pinkish slip in the mailbox and they deliver it the next day. I have never had anything stolen here.

OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
I have received two or three hundred dollar items from sellers on ebay who didn't require signature confirmation of receipt. However, I can understand and appreciate how a seller might want such confirmation when significant sums or items of value are involved. Unfortunately, there are many dishonest people in the world who might falsely claim they did not receive an item, and that it was lost or stolen.

The 2nd example of that '1' button (Spanish) discovered by a member here, was for sale from that one seller I will not do business with. What an unfortunate coincidence...lol

JG

betelges

Jan 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suppose you know that ebayer seller can't leave negative feedback. As professional seller i have put the option on leave a feedback automatically after payment received.

OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
I suppose you know that ebayer seller can't leave negative feedback. As professional seller i have put the option on leave a feedback automatically after payment received.

Another seller pointed that out in this thread. Personally, I think it's unfair that a seller cannot leave negative feedback for a buyer. I have heard stories of 'buyers' who win items in an auction and then do not pay. And that such buyers often repeat this behaviour. A form of harassment and vandalism in my estimation.

I do know that a seller can submit a complaint against a buyer to ebay which can have serious implications for that buyer's account.

I appreciate sellers like you who leave automated feedback. I always return the favour with perfect feedback. I either leave great feedback, or no feedback at all.

Best regards,

JG

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't consider the transaction complete until I know the buyer is satisfied, therefore no feedback until I hear from the buyer. When I purchase an item I leave feedback as soon as I receive it and am satisfied that it is as described.

That is exactly how I work it. I get about 40% of buyers leave any kind of FB.

Right now I have an unpaid buyer. I am going to open unpaid item case. But before I do I am going to leave snarky feedback. Then file the case because if I remember correctly as soon as ebay refunds me my fees that they have already charged the feedback option will be pulled.

He only joined ebay 6 weeks ago and has 12 FB points. Of course it is 100% and it will be 100% after I leave FB because I HAVE TO leave good FB. There is no other choice. I will say "Great ebayer, bought one week ago, has not paid and will not answer messages. Seller beware. Block him."

Who in this day and age has waited this long to join ebay? I am sure he got kick off and came back again.

Now I have to waste my time relisting the coins.

OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
Who in this day and age has waited this long to join ebay? I am sure he got kick off and came back again.

Me, that's who. I joined six months ago...lol First time ebayer buying up a storm. I have no intention of selling anything. I buy colonial/Rev War buttons, coins, artifacts and the like. But also miscellaneous general merchandise items.

Question: in the case of an auction. If the winner doesn't pay, isn't the second highest bidder obligated to buy the auction item?

Regards,

JG

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No they are not obligated. Winner takes all. If they don't pay, the seller may either be able to offer a 2nd chance offer to bidder #2 or relist the item.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I get feedback from buyers less than 50% of the time. I’ve sold great deals to people and they don’t leave feedback. I used to contact buyers to confirm everything was good and mention that I left the feedback and wanted to be sure there was not an issue. Then I stopped doing that and inviting trouble. Now I just wait into the day after an item is delivered and then leave feedback as a “reminder”. It rarely works.

OP
OP
J

jacobgosling

Jun 4, 2020
Primary Interest:
Other
CC: Drmad7

I think you and I are on the same page from opposite perspectives. I always leave feedback for sellers who leave me feedback, and almost always a perfect score and positive comment. The one exception is if I am dissatisfied with shipping. I might deduct one star or two for shipping. I make allowances for Canadian or overseas sellers. I NEVER leave feedback before a seller. Once I pay and provide a shipping address, I've fulfilled my part of the bargain. Once the item arrives at my house, the seller has met theirs.

I'd never bother asking for feedback, No feedback for me, no feedback for you. Feedback is important. It lets a buyer know that a seller is reliable and can be trusted, and the reverse is also true. I suppose when neither party leaves feedback, both sides lose out. I love the sellers who leave automated feedback. Once I receive my order, I am very diligent about leaving feedback in kind.

Thanks for your perspective. I've learned a lot so far.

JG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions