My PreColumbian collection .

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Friends ! :hello:
As I said, I am a collector of Art PreColumbian and I will show a piece of my collection.Today Head a terra-cotta Warrior Manteño :
Manteño ceramics are recognized because they are usually black. This distinctive color is the result of burning the ceramics in a low oxygen environment, called a reducing environment, resulting in a mass of black carbon in the vessel. Manteño ceramics tend to be polished to a high sheen by giving them a beautiful black sheen. Common types include ceramic pots with faces Manteño model added to the necks of the vessel . (In this case a warrior) ... Many of the faces are human, while others are animals such as foxes. . Manteño culture is known from the southern and central coastal region of Ecuador and was greatly influenced by Mayan culture and commercial ties, is a late prehistoric culture dating from about 700 AD until the Spanish arrived in late 1520. Manteño culture was engaged in extensive trade over large distances to the south and north along the Pacific coast. They used large rafts manufactured from balsa wood to transport and market their goods. In one of the first expeditions of Francisco Pizarro to explore along the coast of Ecuador, the Spanish captured a large raft, loaded with goods for trade that is believed to belong to Manteño.

Attachments

• jkjkjk 009.JPG
    jkjkjk 009.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 864
  • jkjkjk 011.JPG
    jkjkjk 011.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 529
  • jkjkjk 012.JPG
    jkjkjk 012.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 532
  • jkjkjk 014.JPG
    jkjkjk 014.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 831

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Head a terra-cotta Warrior Manteño 1.

:wav:

As always a very nice find. Thank you for the good information and history of that relic. It has a personality of it's own.

OP
OP
HISPAN

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Head a terra-cotta Warrior Manteño 1.

TnMountains said:
:wav:

As always a very nice find. Thank you for the good information and history of that relic. It has a personality of it's own.

Hi TnMountains !! .. it seems that this section of T. Net is a bit dead, but is the only place to put this type of Relics. Together we should give a little activity.

greetings ! :hello:

OP
OP
HISPAN

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On islands surrounded by mangrove forests of the ancient communities "TOLITA-TUMACO" in the 500 BC / 500 AC ,they built mounds and their dwellings and burial sites. They fished, gathered seafood, hunted birds and small mammals. To grow in the coastal plains adapted land with ditches and medians. Of river sand gold and platinum were usually worked in small and delicate ornaments.
The dwellings, rectangular and gable roof, stood on artificial platforms that offer protection from flooding. The sailors were traveling by canoe along the coast, from island to island and even to the plains, as the high tide navigation facilitated by flooding the mangroves, mouths and estuaries. Network weights in stone and gold hooks and are often found evidence of fishing activities.
Also commonly found in landfills ceramic figurines, burials or near the sea. Most of them appear as if they had been decapitated in a ritual broken. Main theme of the potters, the human figure is always realistic, with ornaments inserted in the skin, ear and nose, and with marked cranial deformation, a symbol of social status.
Ceramic figures were usually painted, but have faded over time. Stamps and rollers were the utensils used for body painting.
In 1756 Fray Juan de Santa Gertrudis (a Spanish monk) visited the Pacific Coast and related his experience: :read2:
"They are found there several figurines usually made of mud with much perfection ... They are found also made of gold with emerald eyes, They are found also a little story made of gold filigree, as small as the head of a pin ...
The people call this Tola because everything is full of mounds (which means lots of land).
The first picture depicts a child in this culture (Tolita-Tumaco) with the baby face feature.
The second photo is of another figure head much bigger, but it was hollow inside.

Attachments

• BUYHG 056.JPG
    BUYHG 056.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 507
  • BUYHG 049.JPG
    BUYHG 049.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 485
OP
OP
HISPAN

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And here I show flint knives (volcanic glass) along with some ceramic fragments that show in the second picture, Culture CHORRERA. " 1500 BC / to 500 BC.
I have understood that these knives are ceremonial ... is only used to cut the veins and blood offering to the gods in a pot. :o

Attachments

• BUYHG 023.JPG
    BUYHG 023.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 530
  • BUYHG 066.JPG
    BUYHG 066.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 505
OP
OP
HISPAN

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will continue the thread with more pictures of my collection soon ....:hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread