Old key found in grave yard

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I'm not sure that I'm posting on the right forum, but this seemed pretty close. I found an old key while medal detecting when I was a kid. The graves had a wall around all of them, so don't think I was digging graves. We were MD on the outside of the wall, hoping for silver or gold coins. While pulling a handkerchief from a pocket would have been an ideal time to lose loose change. The oldest marked grave there was 1780. Many were marked by only rocks. The latest dated stone that I saw was 1908. The place is deep in the woods and few even know it exist. I ran my MD over a large rock at the base of a tree, and I got a strong signal. It was stronger than iron deposits in stone normally give. We moved the rock, and still got a signal at that spot. This key was about 12 inches down. Any info on it would be great.

image-527586726.jpg

image-4142825225.jpg

Thank you for viewing!!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using "graveyard" and "metal detector" in the same sentence is just bad. You mean old school yard right?

OP
OP
NC field hunter

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Casca said:
Using "graveyard" and "metal detector" in the same sentence is just bad. You mean old school yard right?

It does sound bad. Old school yard may not provide answers for me though. I wasn't detecting over the graves, they have a rock wall around them. The rock wall is probably 24 inches high. I was detecting on the outside of the wall. My guess is that was where the people stood during the funeral service. They sure were broke. Note even one coin was found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread