House cleaning

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
I live in central Minnesota and for the past 1-1/2 yrs, I've been driving to Chicago to help clean out my folks' home that has been family habitated for 74 yrs. I only made 14 trips of 4 to 5 days each in the last 1-1/2 yrs amounting to around a total of 15K miles. Although it was hard work, the items found were terrific.
Found:
*(2) gold coins -$2-1/2 & $5, approx $40 in silver coinage and $50 of common coinage.
*My mom's 1922 gold class ring (Austin H S in Chicago), 4 other gold rings and 3 sterling rings.
*My dad's Boy Scout membership cards dated 1915 (2010 is the 100th anniversary of the Scouts), + his 1918 bugle, his wool 'Trooper style' hat, and numerous scout pins. I know he was still active in 1956.
*A 54 page colorful program of a football game with the ticket stub to a football game being played in Soldier's Field with Notre Dame Vs S C (now called USC----U of Southern California) dated Nov. 26, 1927 Admittance was $3 (Knute Rockne was the coach).
* A 1924 plasticized season pass to Comiskey Park (Chicago White Sox) signed 'Chas a Comiskey' (a stamp signature).
* A Stanley 14 inch tall 'Ferrostat' Thermos....Pat Sept 2, 1913. It is shaped like a wine bottle -- Bulbous at the bottom and has a 5" neck. It appears it is made of some type of ceramic with a metal base, metal bands at midway and the spout and a metal & cork plug.
* Two colorful books from "The World's Columbian Exposition" held on the lakefront in Chicago in 1892 & 1893. Copyrighted - 1893 (Columbus Half dollar...remember...was first released here)
There was so much stuff, I can't mention all of the goodies found.

I'll be taking some of the things to Des Moines, Ia this Friday to get estimates at "The Antique Roadshow" being filmed on Saturday. Yes, we (2 daughters, a son-in-law, and myself) have tickets.

ruck

Mar 5, 2005
Mansfield,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Numerous
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Antique Roadshow! Now thats a good show! PBS!!!!! WOSU!!!!!

SgtJim

Mar 13, 2010
Upper New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Everybody is buying silver these days. You will get the best price from a gold refinner not "cash for gold". What an amazing treasure hunt.
Jim :hello:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goose-0 said:
Found:

I'll be taking some of the things to Des Moines, Ia this Friday to get estimates at "The Antique Roadshow" being filmed on Saturday. Yes, we (2 daughters, a son-in-law, and myself) have tickets.
Update needed. What happened at the Roadshow?

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget to look in any books,for money.When my great aunt died many years ago we went over to clean out her house and found over $5k in bills and coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread