• p 010.jpg
    p 010.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,432

oddrock

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Minelab ,White's, others and B.S. sniffer
mojjax said:
I inherited this rifle a few months ago . I never want to sell it , but I was wondering what it might be worth ?

mojjax

worth a good bit. Take to a pawn shop let them give you a price, then multiply by 10. Take to gun shop, let them give you a price and multiply 2 or 3 .... either should give you a ball park figure.

Oddrock

Lucas

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2010
U of A
"Trapdoor" Springfield is the common name. Overall condition and wood finish are excellent. Stamped plate is not something I have seen before, maybe something special.

Gunbroker.com is a good guide for what trapdoors are selling for right now.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking Trapdoor Mojjax. :icon_thumright: There are way to many variables to give an accurate assessment from a few pics. Also, with these rifles the value can start at +/- $500 and the sky is the limit from there. The brass plate on yours intrigues me. Do you know anything of that plate?

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
I have seen several trapdoors and a couple with plates, they were commeratives. I have never seen a plate like that one. A special commemorative issue is my guess but that is a guess. It could be worth quite a lot but I am not sure. I hope it is very rare and thus a boon for you financially. Great Weapon!!

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking that the plate was affixed as an identifier for a large collection, I've seen this before (why not just use the model and serial number I don't know). But, that plate could be provenance to a specific collection/collector and add value if the collector was known to be an authority of some sort.

coin1921

Dec 1, 2006
Manitoba, Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Deus V 3.2
Bounty Hunter Water Detector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This does in no way take anything away from your rifle, but it is interesting

MY GUN HAS AN 1883 (or 1884) DATED LOCKPLATE . . .

This feature indicates that you do NOT have a rifle produced at Springfield, though some of its parts were made there. Thousands of surplus parts from early 1873s were once sold as scrap. But, when SA discovered that the buyers were making up entire guns and selling them, the disposal program was summarily halted. Receivers were sometimes in bad shape. Some SA barrels were available, but others, often having five(5) grooves, were obtained from various commercial sources - and some were even made (contracted for) new, by the large firms such as Bannerman. Lockplates were always scarce (SA reused them on the starred arms) so they often had to be fabricated by the arms merchants. Other common "wrong" features of these "fraudulent" (as they were termed at the time) arms are odd rear sights, strange ramrods, total absence of a ramrod keeper, reworked musket stock with lined barrel channel, etc.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
oddrock said:
mojjax said:
I inherited this rifle a few months ago . I never want to sell it , but I was wondering what it might be worth ?

mojjax

worth a good bit. Take to a pawn shop let them give you a price, then multiply by 10. Take to gun shop, let them give you a price and multiply 2 or 3 .... either should give you a ball park figure.

Oddrock
"Take to a pawn shop let them give you a price, then multiply by 10."

Amazing figure. Very true.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread