Re: Button Question -- ID & backmark Help

civilwarren

Oct 24, 2010

Hi gang,

I recently came across 16 of these buttons and needed help ID'ing them.

Gold gilted button - 28mm in diameter - Backmark - H & G Phila. & N.Y.

http://img189.imageshack.us/i/buttonsnb.jpg/

I'm thinking to early for Civil War...may be Colonial. Have 16 in the bunch and all have most of the gilt remaining.

Thanks!
Best Regards from the Kansas-Missouri border,
Steve Warren

OP
OP
C

civilwarren

Oct 24, 2010
Re: Button Question -- ID & backmark Help - UPDATE

Heard from Butch Holcomb, the publisher of American Digger Magazine. He said he thinks the buttons date to the 1820's, but has no idea about the backmark.

Maybe belong to some company that was swallowed up by another button company before the Civil War.

Keep Diggin' and Dream'n,
Steve Warren

Kenosha Kid

Dec 13, 2010
Wisconsin

Only a few that I can think of from that era.

W. H. Horstmann ~ 1820-1935, Phil and New York; howver, they only partnered with Allien or Drucker.

Hyde & Goodrich ~ around the 1860s, but out of New Orleans. Most of their buttons were subcontracted to Scovill, who produced backs with the 'H & G'.

The other is a strong possibility :

Schuyler H & G (or known as Schuyler, Hartley & Graham) ~ 1854(?)-1877, out of New York. In 1877, they became Hartley & Graham.

This is a link to their 1864 Military Goods catalog. At the bottom, it states, "Schuyler, Hartley, Graham was the sole Importer for many European makers including Greener... It became Hartley & Graham in 1877."

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...d=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

civilwarren said:
Maybe belong to some company that was swallowed up by another button company before the Civil War.

Scovill Mfg and Waterbury seemed to do that a lot...

OP
OP
C

civilwarren

Oct 24, 2010
Re: Button Question -- Thank You!!!

Thanks so much for the info on the buttons. I really appreciate it.

All the Best from the Kansas-Missouri border,
Steve Warren

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions