Old Microscope....anyone know anything about it?

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't really know anything about it, thought someone might? DSCN2438.JPG

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't think it is complete like the one in the photo you posted. It came from my husbands side, don't know more than that, sorry. Will look for markings again, didn't see any when I looked at first.

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Then there's this:

fieldscopeL1.jpg

"Drum Microscope
The Drum style microscope, invented by Benjamin Martin (of Martins Margins fame) in the 1730′s enjoyed a resurgence in England, peaking in the 1820′s to 1860′s. These were usually unsigned, being made by many makers for the trade. They were usually inexpensive, lower quality models for students and hobbyists. In France, some of the high-quality instrument makers in the 1840′s and 1850′s, such as Oberhauser, adopted the drum-style and outfitted it with top quality optics and accessories. By the late 19th century, many French makers were making small unsigned models or low quality as toys and for hobbyists. These continued to be sold, in two styles (single pillar from stage to body tube or dual struts) well into the 1920′s, and turn up often at antique shops." Drum MicroscopeEye Antiques & Collectibles

martin.jpg

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got it Surf! After reading your other post I did some looking & researching. The looking: on the microscope found an etching of "B. Pike & sons" 518 Broadway NY. And I sent an email to a pro.(Alan Wissner) who told me it's French and a boys compound microscope 1870-1920....and that there are some on ebay! lol But...thank you very much for your super research Surf....you can crash on my beach anytime :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread