epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi gang, I typically only post on the bottle and stoneware page sharing my Paterson N.J. collection, as well as Paterson N.J. F.D. badges. I was lucky enough to find two amazing paintings of the Passaic River Falls in the last two months.

The first is an oil on poplar board, the board being 19-5/8"X17-1/2", that dates to 1830-40, according to the appraiser it has it's original coved frame as well, unfortunately it is unsigned but there are several like it in the Lambert Castle Historical Society collection of Passaic County.

Here it is not showing the frame...

00falls.jpg

The second painting I got over the weekend is signed by Julian Wahlbridge Rix, a very well known painter, it is signed and dated 1873. A native of Vermont, he lived in California where his artwork caught the attention of silk tycoon, William Ryle, of Paterson, New Jersey. Ryle financed Rix's work and many of his paintings hang in the halls of Lambert Castle as well. Rix died at his home in New York City in 1903.The painting itself is 30"X25" without the period frame.

zzzpook2.jpg

Both paintings are being loaned to the Paterson Museum for at least a year for now, the Paterson Falls recently became a National Park and unlike the Lambert Castle the Paterson Museum doesn't currently own any paintings of this magnitude or importance. It's an honor to be the new owner of both, which will most likely be left to my nieces, and to have them displayed for all those National Park visitors to see and admire. Thanks for looking...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread