Can I use my metal detector in the washes around Tucson?

Nevar

Nov 24, 2008
Tucson, AZ
I just got a Garrett GTI2500 metal detector and I would like to use it in the washes and dry rivers around Tucson: Pantano, Rillito, Santa Cruz, etc. Is this legal? Do I need a permit? Is it safe?

I'm not really looking to find much, a coin or two maybe, I just bought it for the exercise.

Also, It looks like BLM lands are OK for metal detecting (according to their website). If anyone has any other suggestions for the Tucson area, please let me know.

And if metal detecting the washes of Tucson is a complete waste of time, please let me know that also.

P

pippinwhitepaws

i had a smokie up in prescott area, see my detector in my parked truck...read me the riot act and told me if he saw me using that thing outside of a wash or creek i would be cited.
i have also had the army corps of engineers tell me you can not mess around in "their" watersheds.

go find the mine with the iron door... :thumbsup:

OP
OP
N

Nevar

Nov 24, 2008
Tucson, AZ
I've been reading some of the threads here and others have had the same experience as you - some worse. How I could possibly damage the BLM lands and washes around Tucson is beyond me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread