AnyStories, leads, anything about Flagstaff!

P

pippinwhitepaws

veit springs...lost gold coins...almost warm enuff to go up there....rogers lake gold bars are a big one..check out the spring on the west side of the lake..old forest service camp at the spring.

what side of flag do you live in?

P

pippinwhitepaws

;D how many times a day ya run the stop sign on lockett and patterson???

Leones Corazon

Mar 26, 2006
Grand Junction Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808
Equinox 800
Go Find 60
Primary Interest:
Other
Drive out the back side of Flag....drop down the hill and into the rez.
If the black volcanic stones on both sides of the road disappear you have
gone to far. That outa to get you started..

DW

P

pippinwhitepaws

i found these in that black ash...almost on the rez...

Attachments

• rocks.jpg
    rocks.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 234
  • rocks.jpg
    rocks.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 238
P

pippinwhitepaws

this is the railroad bridge at diablo canyon...
mr wolf, the trader to the natives, is said to have buried his profits along his fence line.
this area is several inches deep in iron trash...rail road stalled here in 1879...took a year to build the bridge over the canyon...
rumors have canyon diablo as one of the wildest, lawless places in the hey day of boom towns...

Attachments

• R&R bridge.JPG
    R&R bridge.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 252
  • R&R bridge.JPG
    R&R bridge.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 247

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pippinwhitepaws said:
i found these in that black ash...almost on the rez...

Showing my ignorance on this one PWP, but what exactly are those rocks?

P

pippinwhitepaws

hi cubfan...
i believe the rocks are garnets...but i have a friend who loves to argue...calls them peridot...haven't had them tested yet...
they are high on the hardness chart...about a 7...

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pippinwhitepaws said:
hi cubfan...
i believe the rocks are garnets...but i have a friend who loves to argue...calls them peridot...haven't had them tested yet...
they are high on the hardness chart...about a 7...

If you want, I'll send you my address and you can ship a small one to me and I can have one of the guys I work with identify it for you for free. These guys love using their instruments on things other than the typical R&D samples they always get.

The tests are non-destructive and I can send the stone back when we're done.

Let me know.

P

pippinwhitepaws

hey cub...thanks...i have a small pile here i can send... :thumbsup:

P

pippinwhitepaws

check out canyon diablo...not the tourist trap on I-40...the real one.

Attachments

• general storew.JPG
    general storew.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 230
  • cistern.JPG
    cistern.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 223
  • general storew.JPG
    general storew.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 232
  • cistern.JPG
    cistern.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 235
OP
OP
P

PurpleMonkey

Greenie
Jan 18, 2005
pippinwhitepaws said:
this is the railroad bridge at diablo canyon...
mr wolf, the trader to the natives, is said to have buried his profits along his fence line.
this area is several inches deep in iron trash...rail road stalled here in 1879...took a year to build the bridge over the canyon...
rumors have canyon diablo as one of the wildest, lawless places in the hey day of boom towns...

how far outa town is it?

P

pippinwhitepaws

out by meteor crater...
viet springs is up the snow bowl road... the road to the spring has been turned into a nature hike.
there is an old cabin out there...typical outlaw-posse shoot out...gold coins stashed...
there was a report of a person finding the stash...taking enuff to get drunk at the weatherford...and drinking himself to death...

i have wandered the hillside up there a lot...found several things to suggest activity beyond the common stories.

there is also a stage robbery down 89A...when it was the schnebly road...again, stashed loot, shootout, no survivors.
i will share more on that after this summer. ;D

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
Did not know Garnets came in blue, and green. Knew the other colors of the rainbow...go figure. Still nice looking gem stones

P

pippinwhitepaws

north of where i found the green stones, there is a garnet field...it is on the navajo part of the rez...so it is an iffy thing to dig there...

these stones are out of small volcanic vents about 20 miles south of the garnet field...

Leones Corazon

Mar 26, 2006
Grand Junction Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808
Equinox 800
Go Find 60
Primary Interest:
Other
Tuba City...had a chat with the young man working at the gun store and he said one can get a hunting license and or permit to hike on the rez. He said the hunting license is the best way to go as it gives the holder more rights than the individual living on or near the ground you are hiking.
The reason is tribal members living on the rez do so with no rent or return to the tribe...so in a
sense the tribe views you as a paying customer therefore you have more right to be there than those living there. At least thats the way he explained it to me. He also says said license can be had at a
small office near the Cameron trading post.

As far as digging...i have no answer and i would think it would be a rather large issue if one was caught doing so i'd imagine. However those black volcanic rocks in that stretch of highway show
classic signs of gentle manipulation....which can be seen off and on all the way from flag to my house here in western colorado....and in reverse from flag into phx if one has a keen eye.

DW

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread