DashChemical

Greenie
Sep 23, 2007
arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in Flagstaff for business today and I was told a story of some bandits back in the day that robbed a stage coach or train stole a bunch of gold coins and hid in the mountains. As I was told they bandits were caught in the mountains and the gold was not on them leaving the story to be that it was hidden up there.
Is this a real story or has any gold coins ever been found that anyone knows of.

P

pippinwhitepaws

veit springs...
arizona territorial records were almost systematically destroyed by fire, flood and neglect...
i have never found a primary document on the robbery.

Wizzard

May 3, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
MineLab Quattro
LEGENDS OF ARIZONA

Outlaw Loot in Flagstaff

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/AZ-Treasures2.html

Treasure Troves in Flagstaff

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/AZ-Treasures7.html

Other topics from Legands of America

Lost Treasures

Bronco Bill Loses to Wells Fargo

Canyon Station Treasure Near Kingman

Flagstaff Outlaw Cache

Ghost Town Treasure Tales

The Lost Dutchman Mine

Lost Opata Mine

Outlaw Roy Gardner's Buried Loot

Outlaws Steal Outlaw Loot

Prescott Treasure Tales

Red Jack Gang in Arizona

Sierra Estrella Buried Gold

Treasure Troves in Flagstaff

Wells Fargo Stolen Cache

More Arizona Treasures

Arizona Treasure Clubs

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Arizona has about a "Ton" of treasure & Gold/silver tales
So!
You shouldn't have any trouble finding some Treasure/gold to look for
Just visit the local library's Arizona Section (Research)
Don't forget, "pen & paper" :thumbsup:

AND!
Get some "topos" of the area! :wink:

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
I was up in Two Guns and also went to Canyon Diablo recently. Two Guns has an interesting history, and the "Death Cave" is right below the site of Two Guns. You can visit it. Incidentally, some people are posting the wrong photos for Two Guns, they post photos of buildings that are near the old gas station, and that is just recent buildings. As I understand it, Two Guns is actually on the East side of Diablo Canyon, but right on the side of Diablo Canyon, not over by the old gas station. Also, what is on the west side was built later, including the zoo, (yep, you heard right) that was part of the tourist trap that was started there in the early 1900's.
Canyon Diablo was difficult to get to. After looking at satelite maps, I set out from Two Guns north, and the road was rough, I did it with my car, and it was not easy, with a 4-wheeler it would be a piece of cake until you get to the rail road, then you have to go on foot, because they have the road blocked off with rail cars and a huge pile of dirt. I was not metal detecting there, as I had read the history of Canyon Diablo and knew that people had been buried there. (Later I learned it would not have been a good idea anyway, being on the indian reservation.) While there are some impressive building ruins at Canyon Diablo, the downside is that there is old trash scattered all over the place. They also had some type of in the ground large stone kiln building that had been fired recently, for who knows what purpose. Other than the trains that go by, the place is one of the quietest places I have ever been.

Grimcow

May 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kind of funny. I live in Flag and was trying to think of some area's to go detecting and this was the first place that popped into my mind. I do alot of hiking so I have been here once or twice.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
just below this cabin...is a medow surrounded by aspens...the sheepherders used it before there was a flagstaff...

neat carvings on the aspens...plus, many of the carvings are from WWI period....neat spot, overgrown.

been all over that area with a BFO back in the day...not even a tin can...lol

a mamber of that family lives in clarkdale...i call him deputy dan...firesign theater...he doesn't get it...

Last edited:

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
The road to Canyon Diablo isn't bad but 4X4 is recommended. The box cars weren't a problem. I was going to build a ramp so I could jump them but instead I hooked up a chain and pulled them out of the way with my truck. Lol!

It's definitely not a place to be MDing but it does have meteorites from the big one that crashed there. I wouldn't mind finding one of those.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
canyon diablo is on the rez...dine'{Navajo} using the water cistern for trash burning...
covered in trash...r&r trash...all metal...straps, nails, cans, parts of missing cars..ect.

I posted some pic on diablo canyon way back..

sure would like to find those rifles...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread