Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: metal detecting laws arizona

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    donald peterson

Jan 2013
    somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
    Whites prism III
    1973 times
    Relic Hunting
    Agency: USC : Title 16 - Conservation
    16 USC Chapter 1B - Archaeology Resources Protection
    Website: 16 U.S. Code Chapter 1B - ARCHAEOLOGICAL RESOURCES PROTECTION | LII / Legal Information Institute
    Law: 16 USC § 470ee - Prohibited acts and criminal penalties website

(a) Unauthorized excavation, removal, damage, alteration, or defacement of archaeological resources. No person may excavate, remove, damage, or otherwise alter or deface, or attempt to excavate, remove, damage, or otherwise alter or deface any archaeological resource located on public lands or Indian lands unless such activity is pursuant to a permit issued under section 470cc of this title, a permit referred to in section 470cc(h)(2) of this title, or the exemption contained in section 470cc(g)(1) of this title.
    (b) Trafficking in archaeological resources the excavation or removal of which was wrongful under Federal law No person may sell, purchase, exchange, transport, receive, or offer to sell, purchase, or exchange any archaeological resource if such resource was excavated or removed from public lands or Indian lands in violation of—
    (1)the prohibition contained in subsection (a) of this section, or
    (2)any provision, rule, regulation, ordinance, or permit in effect under any other provision of Federal law.
    (c) Trafficking in interstate or foreign commerce in archaeological resources the excavation, removal, sale, purchase, exchange, transportation or receipt of which was wrongful under State or local law. No person may sell, purchase, exchange, transport, receive, or offer to sell, purchase, or exchange, in interstate or foreign commerce, any archaeological resource excavated, removed, sold, purchased, exchanged, transported, or received in violation of any provision, rule, regulation, ordinance, or permit in effect under State or local law.

May 2013
    93 times
    a) Unauthorized excavation, removal, damage, alteration, or defacement of archaeological resources. No person may excavate, remove, damage, or otherwise alter or deface, or attempt to excavate, remove, damage, or otherwise alter or deface any archaeological resource located on public lands or Indian lands unless such activity is pursuant to a permit issued under section 470cc of this title, a permit referred to in section 470cc(h)(2) of this title, or the exemption contained in section 470cc(g)(1) of this title.

Sounds like a bunch of crap to me. Don't get me wrong, I believe no one should dig up anything to do with the Indians whether its on Indian land or not.

What are these laws for? To protect the artifacts? Maybe, but I'd say its more for money. Its not illegal to dig up Indian artifacts as long as you have the permit mentioned above. So who's got money for one of these permits? I don't, nor does anyone else I know. Who does? The big corporations, universities, museums. One good example is Rosemont Copper. Once they get the permits, which I'm sure they will, they will be digging up Indian artifacts, not to preserve them but to dump them over the side of the tailing piles. Why? Because they have the money to. They are letting the Indians in to dig up the bodies but that's it. There's also endangered plants, animals, reptiles, amphibians and the list goes on. They're lowering the water table, cutting off water to riparian areas, using CAP water.

These laws are suppose to protect these things! You can't do this, you can't do that. Why? Because it's illegal but if you get a permit you can do whatever you want. Money talks. So pretty much these laws are worthless!

Greed rules the world!

Another example, Christmas, Az. Use to be Indian land till minerals were found there then the boundaries were moved and the land was taken from the Indians. Why? Money. Greed.

Same thing happened to the Utes in Utah.

And it happens again and again.

Greed!

That's my 2˘.

Dec 2013
    3 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Ummm,

Mar 2014
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    So I just bought my first Metal Detector here in Arizona and from what I understand, I am not allowed to metal detect anywhere in Arizona or it will be breaking the law? Please help....as I am a Newbie.
    H-2 CHARLIE likes this.

May 2013
    93 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lileah76 View Post
    So I just bought my first Metal Detector here in Arizona and from what I understand, I am not allowed to metal detect anywhere in Arizona or it will be breaking the law? Please help....as I am a Newbie.
    Not true. You can detect in Az. You can go online and read all the pages and pages of laws or you can talk to or join one of the prospecting clubs. They can help you with where to go and where not to go. Don't know where in Az your at otherwise I could give you a club name in your area. You can find the list of clubs online.

us
    Nov 2008
    Apache Junction
    173 times
    Prospecting
    Welcome to TreasureNet. Little info to get you started. Lynx Lake

AJones
    Can't think on an empty cup of coffee.
    If it was easy, it wouldn't be any fun at all.

us
    Jan 2012
    Pinal Mountains,Arizona
    Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD. White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013 Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
    519 times
    Prospecting
    You can detect all over Az. I know you can not detect on state trust land.
    You can detect in National forests but look at the regs of the forest and see what you can, can not do, and what can be picked up,ect.
    You can detect in parks unless posted that I know of.
    Check city rules or laws. What I do is go to the citys website and put in metal detecting and see what is written on the books, not what people say.
    You can detect and prospect on blm lands. Just have to ask people or look it up before you go to that area.
    Also need to make sure you are not on some ones claim.

May 2013
    93 times
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrunner View Post

You can detect all over Az. I know you can not detect on state trust land.
    You can detect in National forests but look at the regs of the forest and see what you can, can not do, and what can be picked up,ect.
    You can detect in parks unless posted that I know of.
    Check city rules or laws. What I do is go to the citys website and put in metal detecting and see what is written on the books, not what people say.
    You can detect and prospect on blm lands. Just have to ask people or look it up before you go to that area.
    Also need to make sure you are not on some ones claim.
    Roadrunner,

True but I would think the clubs would know where you can go and where you can't. At least I would hope so.

Lileah76,

The link Ab TexEx gave to Lynx Lake is a good one because it gives you the rules for metal detecting for the national forest.

Now you just need to check the rules for the BLM and whatever city you want to detect.

I would definitely stay away from:

State Land

Indian Land

Military Bases, including ranges and auxiliary air fields

Cemeteries

Mining Claims

Private Property unless you get permission.

Federal Parks

State Parks: I've heard you could here but I would definitely check into it first.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

You've Forest Land, BLM Land and City Land, everything else is private property.

If I'm wrong on any of these or someone has something to add please comment.

May 2013
    93 times
    One more I forgot would be Wilderness Areas like the Superstition Mountains which are off limits to any kind of prospecting.

us
    Jan 2012
    Pinal Mountains,Arizona
    Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD. White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013 Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
    519 times
    Prospecting
    Jerome sure they would some times.
    But 1-2 I asked said they only know the ones we know already, and only if they metal detect them selves.
    They know what can be done on their individual claims, yes.
    A club would be a great place to start as i am going to join the gpaa next time I get a little money.
    H-2 CHARLIE likes this.

us
    Mar 2014
    Central Arizona
    Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
    417 times
    Prospecting
    I have no idea what the original poster is trying to say here. I am confused. Half of the "legal" strings he posted don't even pertain to Az. specifically. Like are you mad you can't go dig Indian artifacts? Mad you can't dig in National parks? I am confused and don't understand your point. Az. has lots of open areas where a person can metal detect. So the antiquities laws are stupid and say you can't remove artifacts......so what. What do you expect to find in the desert southwest but livestock tack and logging implements along with old mining equipment other than Indian artifacts. I guess I just don't understand your beef. Also never once had any law enforcement say diddly squat when out detecting anywhere in this state. I myself detect for gold. It's free money in the ground. I show leo's my gold all the time. They love to see it and admire my ambition to find it. Your post makes no sense to me at all. Dennis

May 2013
    93 times
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPDLN View Post
    I have no idea what the original poster is trying to say here. I am confused. Half of the "legal" strings he posted don't even pertain to Az. specifically. Like are you mad you can't go dig Indian artifacts? Mad you can't dig in National parks? I am confused and don't understand your point. Az. has lots of open areas where a person can metal detect. So the antiquities laws are stupid and say you can't remove artifacts......so what. What do you expect to find in the desert southwest but livestock tack and logging implements along with old mining equipment other than Indian artifacts. I guess I just don't understand your beef. Also never once had any law enforcement say diddly squat when out detecting anywhere in this state. I myself detect for gold. It's free money in the ground. I show leo's my gold all the time. They love to see it and admire my ambition to find it. Your post makes no sense to me at all. Dennis
    Maybe you should read it again. Those "legal" strings cover Arizona and the rest of the country. He knows what he's talking about and I agree with him.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    10029 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeromeAz View Post
    Maybe you should read it again. Those "legal" strings cover Arizona and the rest of the country. He knows what he's talking about and I agree with him.
    I think what IMPDLN was trying to say was, not that such laws couldn't be morphed to apply, but rather, that ....... no one's out in the middle of the desert, to care less, to begin with.
    Last edited by Tom_in_CA; Mar 20, 2014 at 08:19 AM.

us
    Mar 2014
    Central Arizona
    Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
    417 times
    Prospecting
    Not what I meant.....the original post makes it sound like you can't metal detect in Az. without a permit, and that just isn't correct. BLM and NFS land all over this state you can metal detect on. Sure if you are trying to metal detect on the court house grounds right in downtown Prescott you might have a problem. Not all ghost towns are off limits either. Removing artifacts is an issue anywhere in the country except on private property, so I don't understand why he has a problem with metal detecting in Az. Thousands of snowbirds come to our state every year and thousands metal detect here without being harassed or breaking any laws. I certainly don't advocate breaking any laws, but seems to me his problem is what locations he wants to go. I'm sure you would have a problem if you try to metal detect at Sharlot Hall Museum, but drive a couple miles out of town, like out by Thumb Butte or maybe out around Lynx Lake and you have no problem.

The list of places he mentions as being pillaged are all national parks or monuments, certainly off limits anyplace in the country. My opinion is he needs to modify where he wants to hunt and do better research. Dennis
    Last edited by IMPDLN; Mar 20, 2014 at 03:36 PM.

May 2013
    93 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post

I think what IMPDLN was trying to say was, not that such laws couldn't be morphed to apply, but rather, that ....... no one's out in the middle of the desert, to care less, to begin with.
    That's true most of the time but not everyone just detects the desert. That's one point that Pip was making. His list of places that have been pillaged. Indian lands mostly, ghost towns. There's not much left if anything. People go and dig places up and tear things up or burn them down. That's why there's nothing left. Ghost towns would last longer if they were just left alone then if people where digging them up and tearing them apart. People can't seem to just go to a ghost town and look around and see how it was back then and then leave it as they found it.

Pips not blaming just people that detect but they are part of it.

If IMPDLN would read it again he might see that Pip isn't complaining that he can't go out and dig up indian artifacts and relics. Just the opposite. He's complaining that's what people are doing, stealing indian artifacts, robbing graves, taking artifacts and destroying historic sites. He thinks they should be left alone.

Some places you do have to have a permit. So why not go out in the desert where you don't need a permit? Because people like detect other places too.

You want to play ? Sometimes you got to pay.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links