metal detecting laws arizona

P

pippinwhitepaws

http://www.metal-detecting-ghost-towns-of-the-east.com/metal-detecting-in-Arizona.html

"No person, institution, organization, or corporation shall undertake any activity proscribed in A.R.S. '41-841 until a permit is first secured from the Director of the Arizona State Museum"

i have some serious concerns about use of a metal detector in arizona.
we have less private owned land than most states...last check was around 14%, though the forest service and blm have opened up some areas for development near towns...

i have been threatened with arrest in prescott, harassed on the border, and leave my detector in the truck unless invited to hunt private property.

while the "hobby" may be booming in the east, in the west, using a detector without a permit is an arrest/seizure event.
you may even get away with it for a while... but arizona law will seize your detector, your vehicle, and introduce you to the nearest judge.

B. RULES IMPLEMENTING A.R.S. ' 15-1631 AND 41-841, ET SEQ. THE ARIZONA ANTIQUITIES ACT 8-201 General A. Definitions The following definitions shall apply in this Chapter unless the context requires otherwise: 1. "Affinity" means the condition of relationship established through membership in a common cultural group. 2. "Applicant" means an institution, organization or corporation organized for scientific, research, or land-use planning purposes that seeks to obtain a permit. 3. "Archaeological site" means any area with material remains of past Indian or non-Indian life or activities that are of archaeological interest, including without limitation, historic or prehistoric ruins, burial grounds, and inscriptions made by human agency. 4. "Archaeological specimen" is defined in A.R.S. '41-841. 5. "Collect" means to remove an object from its location without disturbing the ground at or around that location. 6. "Collection survey" means a survey that may, but need not, involve the actual collection of archaeological or paleontological specimens. 7. "Director" means the Director of the Arizona State Museum or an official designee of the Director. 8. "Excavate" means to effect any disturbance of the ground, including movement of earn or stone. Policy Number: 8-201 y Name: Rules Implementing A.R.S. '15-1631 and '41- 841, et seq., The Arizona Antiquities Act -

Eugene Martin

Jul 29, 2007
pippinwhitepaws said:
http://www.metal-detecting-ghost-towns-of-the-east.com/metal-detecting-in-Arizona.html

"No person, institution, organization, or corporation shall undertake any activity proscribed in A.R.S. '41-841 until a permit is first secured from the Director of the Arizona State Museum"

i have some serious concerns about use of a metal detector in arizona.
we have less private owned land than most states...last check was around 14%, though the forest service and blm have opened up some areas for development near towns...

i have been threatened with arrest in prescott, harassed on the border, and leave my detector in the truck unless invited to hunt private property.

while the "hobby" may be booming in the east, in the west, using a detector without a permit is an arrest/seizure event.
you may even get away with it for a while... but arizona law will seize your detector, your vehicle, and introduce you to the nearest judge.

B. RULES IMPLEMENTING A.R.S. ' 15-1631 AND 41-841, ET SEQ. THE ARIZONA ANTIQUITIES ACT 8-201 General A. Definitions The following definitions shall apply in this Chapter unless the context requires otherwise: 1. "Affinity" means the condition of relationship established through membership in a common cultural group. 2. "Applicant" means an institution, organization or corporation organized for scientific, research, or land-use planning purposes that seeks to obtain a permit. 3. "Archaeological site" means any area with material remains of past Indian or non-Indian life or activities that are of archaeological interest, including without limitation, historic or prehistoric ruins, burial grounds, and inscriptions made by human agency. 4. "Archaeological specimen" is defined in A.R.S. '41-841. 5. "Collect" means to remove an object from its location without disturbing the ground at or around that location. 6. "Collection survey" means a survey that may, but need not, involve the actual collection of archaeological or paleontological specimens. 7. "Director" means the Director of the Arizona State Museum or an official designee of the Director. 8. "Excavate" means to effect any disturbance of the ground, including movement of earn or stone. Policy Number: 8-201 y Name: Rules Implementing A.R.S. '15-1631 and '41- 841, et seq., The Arizona Antiquities Act -

Hi Pipinwhitepaws
Thanks, the public needs to know what the implications are for braking this law! We're losing parts of our history every time someone takes these historical antiquities there losing the artifact's context and then they throw them in there yards and forget where it came from or when they die no one has a clue to where it came from. I've seen a lot of theft over the years and every time I discover it I want to wake up every one to the fact that these thefts where ours and the losses to our heritage that can not be replaced, and in some cases the artifact and it's history is never known. Again Thanks.
Eugene

OP
OP
P

pippinwhitepaws

howdy gene...

no need to thank me...i learned this as a boy scout in arizona...the laws came later...
i have melt downs when i see people destroy our history...and while i am not affiliated with any organization, ethics and respect are what separate us from animals.
walnut canyon, pillaged.
canyon de chelly, pillaged.
chaco canyon, pillaged.
mesa verde, pillaged.
Montezuma castle, pillaged
Charleston, pillaged. ..this community was a place wyatt earp was afraid to enter...11 miles from tombstone...pits dug looking for treasure, walls holed and knocked down...massive destruction.
the list is as long as the few historic communities arizona had during pioneer days.

then this morning, first thing i see, someone is braggin about how many 'ghost towns' arizona has to offer those selfish enough to break clearly defined laws
people immigrating to arizona be ware.

i take notes and photographs...as i hope others would do.

Eugene Martin

Jul 29, 2007
pippinwhitepaws said:
howdy gene...

no need to thank me...i learned this as a boy scout in arizona...the laws came later...
i have melt downs when i see people destroy our history...and while i am not affiliated with any organization, ethics and respect are what separate us from animals.
walnut canyon, pillaged.
canyon de chelly, pillaged.
chaco canyon, pillaged.
mesa verde, pillaged.
Montezuma castle, pillaged
Charleston, pillaged. ..this community was a place wyatt earp was afraid to enter...11 miles from tombstone...pits dug looking for treasure, walls holed and knocked down...massive destruction.
the list is as long as the few historic communities arizona had during pioneer days.

then this morning, first thing i see, someone is braggin about how many 'ghost towns' arizona has to offer those selfish enough to break clearly defined laws
people immigrating to arizona be ware.

i take notes and photographs...as i hope others would do.

Pippinwhitepaws
Ya got Heart. I wish there where more people with a little more Heart around hear.
Eugene

Attachments

• Picture 1113.jpg
    Picture 1113.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 1,595
  • Picture 1113.jpg
    Picture 1113.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 1,390
OP
OP
P

pippinwhitepaws

nice photo gene.
i have the same wish... 8)

BLACKFOOT

Jan 17, 2007
Heavener oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug2
It burns My A-s every time They pass a law to do Good then some square HEADED cop pulls it out when you are only dectecting on some mountain for gold..

When ever I see that cr-p to PROTECT an serve on a cop car makes me want to have a BOWEL movement.
There is no PROTECT ABOUT ANY OF THEM, in the last week within 15 miles of my home there have been FOUR MURDERS!! WHERE WAS THEIR PROTECTION?? I live in rural oklahoma just small towns.
To bad those four people were not PARANOID like i am and were carring a gun they might be alive today. The SUPREME COURT RULED THAT THE POLICE WERE NOT HERE TO PROTECT YOU...

Blackfoot

BLACKFOOT

Jan 17, 2007
Heavener oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug2
I have never got upset , when i explain how the cow is going to eat the cabbage the cops always seem to see my point or how heavily armed i am and just decide it is not worth it.
My Dad put eight bullets in a man IN kalifornia back in the forties was not even taken to jail, did not kill him was hitting him in arms and legs was hiding behind a tree.

M y son is deputy sherriff but he can only provide me protection when he visits on the week ends the rest of the time i have to protect myself.
Four murders in the last week within 15 miles of my rural okla home .protection at its best the only came after the deeds were did.

lanny

Mar 20, 2009
AZ
I agree Blackfoot,big brother is always looking over your shoulder but when the need is great were are they.
Two times I my life I needed help.It took them 25 min to get there,latter I asked what took so long?They said
we were waiting for back up.Five cop cars give me a brake.I had no back up,I do now!I carry it every were I go.
And as far as passing laws to protect are history,the government tries but they have to much red tap.A regular Joe just does not have a chance.I wish are govermment would offer a finders fee if you found something.
It would solve a lot of hart ache.If you do find something they take it away,so people just get rid of it were ever.Its sad,I would like to see some of there finds.O-Well what can one do,just in joy your research and
exploration.

Leones Corazon

Mar 26, 2006
Grand Junction Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808
Equinox 800
Go Find 60
Primary Interest:
Other
The problem i have....if your thought patterns do not follow the accepted time line chosen as gospel....your a wack job....but if we were to listen and look at the faded clues....think of what
unwritten history we might uncover by keeping an open mind...
So until you catch me....i'll continue to wander the hills and do what i do...in my quest for the
truth.

DW

OP
OP
P

pippinwhitepaws

ok, i'm a wack job leon...and this topic went off the wall like most.

sorry, i was posting laws i have learned to live within as i search the southwest for history.
i'm done.

Leones Corazon

Mar 26, 2006
Grand Junction Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808
Equinox 800
Go Find 60
Primary Interest:
Other
Didn't say anything about you personally pippen...i thought that was pretty clear...just stated my 2 cents on the overall issue...after all....histories greatest discoveries are made by the uneducated average joe....and without tangible proof....the powers that be will laugh at you...

BLACKFOOT

Jan 17, 2007
Heavener oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug2
only applies to artifact sites. the rangers have never said anything to me where i pan for gold and i am not going to tell them where there is a indian grinding stone cause then that area would be off limits, right??
check out arizona gold prospectors site about using detectors to find gold in az for years

BLACKFOOT

Jan 17, 2007
Heavener oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug2
arizona gold prospectors have all kind of links check it out .
they have the same fedral antiques law here fifty years old no diggy, so a coin i lost when i was 12 i am not supposed to recover out of my lawn stupid law, i do disregard it.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BLACKFOOT said:
arizona gold prospectors have all kind of links check it out .
they have the same fedral antiques law here fifty years old no diggy, so a coin i lost when i was 12 i am not supposed to recover out of my lawn stupid law, i do disregard it.

Guess that just means you're a Federal antiquity Blackfoot :)

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BLACKFOOT said:
It burns My A-s every time They pass a law to do Good then some square HEADED cop pulls it out when you are only dectecting on some mountain for gold..

When ever I see that cr-p to PROTECT an serve on a cop car makes me want to have a BOWEL movement.
There is no PROTECT ABOUT ANY OF THEM, in the last week within 15 miles of my home there have been FOUR MURDERS!! WHERE WAS THEIR PROTECTION?? I live in rural oklahoma just small towns.
To bad those four people were not PARANOID like i am and were carring a gun they might be alive today. The SUPREME COURT RULED THAT THE POLICE WERE NOT HERE TO PROTECT YOU...

Blackfoot

What burns my butt is when you see murders or a DB found in a house or apartment in Phoenix, you see twenty officers standing around with their hands in their pockets four hours after the coroner shows up :icon_scratch: Then the next day or so you see Phoenix PD whining about how under manned they are ??? Who's covering the other areas these officers aren't covering? Forget it if you need a cop anywhere in S. Phoenix! At least 20+ minutes for them to show up, and lord forbid they have to write a report! They gotta go because they have ten calls backed up on their MDT :dontknow: But if someone calls re: a suspicious guy with a "mine detector" in a park theres at least three officers there lickety split! Go figure :icon_scratch: Guess they all failed the deployment part of the Criminal Justice courses ::)

BLACKFOOT

Jan 17, 2007
Heavener oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug2
There is a site on land my grandfather owed that has arrowheads an stuff that we had dug up for years UNTIL I HELPED THE ARCHIES HAUL TRASH FROM A FENCE ROW CLEAN UP JOB FROM CORP. OF ENGINEER LAND.
THEY ARE NOT EVER GOING TO DIG THAT AREA WE USED A DOZER TO MIX THE TRASH INTO THE GROUND!!!!
SO I WILL KEEP ON DOING WHAT I WANT TO DO.IF I FIND A ARROWHEAD WHILE DEER HUNTING I AM SUPPOSEDTO LEAVE IT THERE, HOW STUPID DO YOU THINK I AM.

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
Since Blackfoot is a Federal Antiquity, does that mean if he gets buried in an avalanche, we'd be arrested
for digging him up? Geesh, I'm one too! :icon_scratch: I found a link that seems to list the regulations for metal detecting, but it seems pretting friggin daft, like if I'm out detecting and I find an 1866 coin, I am suppose to throw it back and re-bury it? It seems ridiculus. Next thing you know they will have a law against farting.

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cach...aws+arizona+property&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
"So until you catch me....i'll continue to wander the hills and do what i do...in my quest for the
truth."

"SO I WILL KEEP ON DOING WHAT I WANT TO DO. IF I FIND A ARROWHEAD WHILE DEER HUNTING I AM SUPPOSEDTO LEAVE IT THERE, HOW STUPID DO YOU THINK I AM."

Yet it is not deer hunting you be doing is it. It is relic hunting.
Do you go deer hunting when ever you like?? How about rob a bank or steal from your neighbor, due to you need a buck?
How about shoplift a candy at the store because you want one?

So obsessed with relics, some will ignore laws. Because you can get by with it does not make it right.
Is it worth the risk? Is it worth what you are doing to yourself?

AUinAZ

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2008
Finders keepers......loser weeper......if I find it.... then its mine......after all these years......if I leave it who will know it was ever there?....after reading this forum it sounds like there a lot of arm chair critics.....live and let it be......who cares if its not found then its not known......pick it up and show the world......if you don't like it stick it where the sun doesn't shine.....if you want to keep people out put up a fence.....other wise life is to short to worry about the small stuff.......go ahead and save the world..... any person who picks up a rock is guilty of the same crime .....where do you draw the line?......

thanks to all those that pick up, find and post items....... with out you these arm chair critics would have nothing to do....

OH by the way all this urban development ruins more pristine desert than any of the few collectors out there....I have watched many bulldozers destroy a lot more ancient rock carvings than were saved.....oh yeah what about all these golf courses that lay on top of Indian ruins???? you arm chair guys really should re-think who you blast before you type......

db

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions