State Land Regulations regarding prospecting.

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
I have run into a lot of conflicting information regarding prospecting on Arizona State Land.
Yet here, on the state's website it seems that maybe, there is a clear-cut answer.

http://www.admmr.state.az.us/Info/aztrustlands.html

The funny part about it is, they say $2 per acre . . . . then down below . . . . APPLICATION FEE There is a non-refundable filing fee of $100 per application. And . . . Both rents and royalties are determined by appraisal. Royalties may be based on: 1) a fixed rate subject to annual adjustment; or 2) a sliding-scale rate which is linked to a commodity index price and the operation's break-even price. There is a statutory minimum royalty rate of 2% of gross value.

Holy S**t, they are not doing much for the small-time prospector are they? This is not a fair system if you ask me, I think it could be legally challenged, simply because the big corporations are not the only ones who pay state taxes, but I'm not interested in legal battles, I just want to get some recreational time in when I am not working and PAYING MY STATE TAXES!

Ok, so that pretty much rules out State lands, at least without that 100+ dollar permit.

National Forests: http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/cnnf/rec/heritage/metal_detectors.html

BLM, not a problem. National forests are ok but be careful were you hunt. Private land is ok if you have permission from the owner. My map (Arizona Road And Recreation Atlas") has locations listed as "other" Is "other" private land?

So, to be legally MDing, you can do it on BLM (not on someone's claim though), National forests or on private property with the owner's permission. Correct me if I have left anything out worth mentioning.

BLACKFOOT

Jan 17, 2007
Heavener oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug2
You have got it right..
But be extra careful crossing state land with dectors or any kind of mining stuff. there are a lot of a## h---es out there with a badge.

OP
OP
Skywola

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
Thanks, I usually throw all my hardware in the trunk . . . . that is a good idea with anything that has much weight, because if you get in an accident or something like that, you don't want your pick, hammer or whatever else you are carrying, clunking you in the head.

Hopefully doing that is enough to keep them off my back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread