Been to Arivaca area? Was it worth the trip?

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
I am going to be taking a week off near the end of next month and I was wondering how many people have been down to the Arivaca area, and was it worth the trip. Many of the areas near Phoenix are so full of trash, spent shells and other junk that I want to get farther out were there is less of that. Arivaca seems to be one of the better choices in that regard. Bradshaws look relatively attractive, but a lot of it is claimed out. Diablo Canyon might be a good area to search because the Spanish went through there early on, and a lot of other things happened in that area.

BLACKFOOT

Jan 17, 2007
Heavener oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug2
was twenty years ago that aGame Warden warned me that I was under armed to be in that area with only a 22. pistol for protection.
check out the battle ship butte area east of Wilhoit az, east of there in the Milk Creek drainage

OP
OP
Skywola

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
Thanks for the tip, I haven't been in that neck of the woods yet.

I have not normally been carrying, but out in a remote area it just seems like a good idea. May not ever need to use it, but I'd feel a lot more secure.

I like the idea of going to more remote areas, less likely someone has already been there, and more likely to come across something interesting. As for the danger, it's not that big of a deal, if I am armed, and h*!!, I'm 50, I got a lot less to lose . . . Fortune favors the bold. I am more concerned about getting into terrain trouble than getting into that kind of trouble.

OP
OP
Skywola

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
I was just looking the area over, it looks like it might be a little to rough for my vehicle, I
have not completely adapted to my new hobby yet, I still have a regular car . . . next one will be a jeep I think! :laughing7:

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
MXT 300 / Javelina Gold Trommel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skywola said:
I was just looking the area over, it looks like it might be a little to rough for my vehicle, I
have not completely adapted to my new hobby yet, I still have a regular car . . . next one will be a jeep I think! :laughing7:

Actually you can get a car (2wd) right up to the mill site with no problem at all.........then walk the creek and hills from there.
Its a really nice place and there is NO TRASH......best part people have left the mills site pretty much alone and there is lots to see!
.......there is gold there, running water, no one around, nice big trees to fall asleep under :thumbsup:

BenThereDoneThat

Feb 27, 2008
Apache Junction, AZ
Detector(s) used
MXT 300 / Javelina Gold Trommel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skywola said:
Wow, that's awsome, where would you come into the area from, Wilholt, Poland Junction?
The turn off is just west of Kirkland Junction.....dirt road for a few miles then turns into pavement again........then left off that road (Forest 94 trail) Nicely maintain dirt road into towards the Milk Creak mill site............Faster from phoenix to go through Wickenburg!
Latitude: 34°17'8.57"N
Longitude: 112°29'31.89"W Mill Site......Put that into google earth

OP
OP
Skywola

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
Thanks a lot! That is a big help! I'll print out the screenshots . . . sounds like bringing a camera might be better than bringing a weapon, if you can go a about month without seeing a person.

BLACKFOOT

Jan 17, 2007
Heavener oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug2
there are jaguars lions and bear there, i know that is far north for jaguars best take my word for it they are coming north for food

OP
OP
Skywola

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
That's alright, I've wrestled a bear, swung a mountan lion around by his tail and kicked a jaguar's behind off the mountain! . . . . heh heh . . . just kidding. Guess I'll bring a little protection! :thumbsup:

BLACKFOOT

Jan 17, 2007
Heavener oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug2
down canyon from the mill about two miles the water has all ways been running. just past where the water bubbles up on the left atop the hill is some of the diggins me and my kids took out about 4 ozs.
on down the canyon about half mile on the right is old house site where a old apache lived ,concrete slab and a dugout.past there on the right you will see bedrock about twenty foot high on the right with good gold on top, that is where i scooped up the ant hill tops and found lots of gold, there are a lot of markers an dry washer piles there also ! when you get down to the fence crossing the canyon on the other side is STATE TRUST LAND FORBIDDEN TO HAVE ANY DECTORS OR SHOVELS OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT THEY DO NOT EVEN LIKE YOU ON their LAND

OP
OP
Skywola

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
Yea, I hear ya on the state land, they want you to get a permit just to be on it, let alone even thinking about metal detecting. Sounds like the area is plenty interesting, without having to go on state land.

If the weather cooperates, I'll be up that way this weekend to look around some . . .

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
down canyon from the mill about two miles the water has all ways been running. just past where the water bubbles up on the left atop the hill is some of the diggins me and my kids took out about 4 ozs.
on down the canyon about half mile on the right is old house site where a old apache lived ,concrete slab and a dugout.past there on the right you will see bedrock about twenty foot high on the right with good gold on top, that is where i scooped up the ant hill tops and found lots of gold, there are a lot of markers an dry washer piles there also ! when you get down to the fence crossing the canyon on the other side is STATE TRUST LAND FORBIDDEN TO HAVE ANY DECTORS OR SHOVELS OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT THEY DO NOT EVEN LIKE YOU ON their LAND

Their land? Its not their land. The land belongs to the people of Arizona. They should be sued to straighten that out. Permit my A..!

That goes for federal land too!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread