Meteor detecting at Meteor Crater Arizona

El Dorado

Greenie
Jun 30, 2009
Looking for help regarding detecting for meteors around Meteor Crater Arizona.
Is the land between the Highway and Meteor Crater open for detecting? Does any land owner accept an access fee for detecting in the area? Does anyone have a recommendation where to do some detecting in the area? Does anyone want to get together this Fall and do some detecting for meteors?

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
It would be a great area to look, I have looked it over myself, but the main problem I see is the presence of state land . . . if you look at a map that shows it, the area looks like a checker board. If you could find the specific areas that are privately owned with a good degree of accuracy, it might be do-able, but you don't want to be caught on state land with a metal detector. I was thinking more along the lines of scouting out areas around Diablo Canyon, but even that would be tricky, these areas are pretty much barren, and finding the owner may prove to be no easy task. There is a lot of history in the Two Guns area, just west of Meteor Crater, it use to be the crossing point for the Spaniards, so it goes a long ways back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread