Regulations for Arizona

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
I have run into a lot of conflicting information regarding prospecting on Arizona State Land.
Yet here, on the state's website it seems that maybe, there is a clear-cut answer.

http://www.admmr.state.az.us/Info/aztrustlands.html

The funny part about it is, they say $2 per acre . . . . then down below . . . . APPLICATION FEE There is a non-refundable filing fee of $100 per application. And . . . Both rents and royalties are determined by appraisal. Royalties may be based on: 1) a fixed rate subject to annual adjustment; or 2) a sliding-scale rate which is linked to a commodity index price and the operation's break-even price. There is a statutory minimum royalty rate of 2% of gross value.

They are not doing much for the small-time prospector are they? This is not a fair system if you ask me, I think it could be legally challenged, simply because the big corporations are not the only ones who pay state taxes, but I'm not interested in legal battles, I just want to get some recreational time in when I am not working and PAYING MY STATE TAXES!

Ok, so that pretty much rules out State lands, at least without that 100+ dollar permit.

National Forests: http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/cnnf/rec/heritage/metal_detectors.html

BLM, not a problem. National forests are ok but be careful were you hunt. Private land is ok if you have permission from the owner. My map (Arizona Road And Recreation Atlas") has locations listed as "other" Is "other" private land?

So, to be legally MDing, you can do it on BLM (not on someone's claim though), National forests or on private property with the owner's permission.

Arid-Zone-A-seeker

Jan 26, 2010
High Country Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Tesoro LOBO Supertrac, Garrett Infinium,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a new 25.00 permit for quad use on State land, and if you have a hunting license, that will get you on state land.
But if you go to the Az. State Land Dept. website, Look up Mineral Management Program. you will find in big red letters,,,,

"Note: Recreational mining of mineral collecting on state land is prohibited." That means you can pick it up and look at it, but not keep it.

Under Title 37 Public Lands Article 12. 37 -501 Trespass on Statelands ; Classification
it defines Trespass.
37 -502 Gives you some penalties, such as we can take all your stuff if you get caught doing it.
Then we can seize your assets if we find material from previous trips on you property,,,,,
If you find a rock and want it. You have to leave it there, find a State land officer, each county has one. Or a State Forester, and take them out to the location, the officer will then pick up the rock and place it into protective custody. Thy will then schedule a public auction and up can then buy it!
Good luck! ya'll

Kilika

Apr 6, 2007
NW Washington (State)
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, GMT
So where CAN we go? Only on club claims? Only on private property... IF we can get permission??
Got any ideas?

(I don't know why this is stuck on 'bold' type ... sorry! Hope I'm not accidentally yelling at someone)

OP
OP
Skywola

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
BLM, not a problem. National forests are ok but be careful were you hunt. Private land is ok if you have permission from the owner.

OP
OP
Skywola

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
When I say BLM, I mean not National Monument BLM . . . . . . they will not even let you take rocks from a National Monument site, so forget that, it has to be just plain BLM land. If you do metal detecting on BLM land, my advise is find a place that is remote, because anything that is well-traveled will have lead all over from people target-practicing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread