Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Salt Lake Tribune Utah 1928-11-05

MONOPLANE, RACING FOR NEW AIR RECORD, SMASHES INTO CANYON WALL IN ARIZONA.

COLLYER, PILOT, AND TUCKER, OWNER, PERISH IN TERRIFIC EXPLOSION OF GASOLINE.

Prescott, Ariz., Nov. 4 (AP) -- The monoplane Yankee Doodle, holder of two transcontinental records, caught in a blinding rain and fog in the Bradshaw mountains last night, struck against the side of a wall in Crook canyon, twenty-three miles south of here, and sent Captain C. B. COLLYER, pilot, and HARRY TUCKER, passenger-owner, to their deaths.
The plane was en route from Los Angeles to New York on a nonstop flight.
Scattered bits of airplane wreckage strewn along the canyon today told searching parties the story of the wreck and resulted in positive identification of the aircraft and the bodies of COLLYER and TUCKER.
It is believed by members of the sheriff's searching party which found the strewn wreckage late today that the craft had struck the canyon side with a tremendous force and that the heavy load of gasoline exploded with the impact.
The open parachutes of the pilot and the passenger indicated that the pair, realizing their plight too late, had made an effort to jump. Their landing flares had also been released.
J. B. TOMLINSON, manager of the Storm Cloud mines, was the only eyewitness of the crash. He said he heard the plane come down through the canyon, sputting as if the motor was failing, and after it had scraped the tree tops for a distance, crashed. He said a loud explosion immediately followed the crash.
The rugged character of the terrain did not enable searchers to reach the scene of the tragedy until late today, when a 20 year old youth, FRANK SHIELDS, found the scattered remains of the proud cross continent record-holding monoplane.
The Bradsaw mountains where the plane fell previously proved a barrier to the Yankee Doodle in a nonstop flight less than two months agao. With ART GOEBEL, famous transoceanic aviator, at the controls and TUCKER as a passenger, the Yankee Doodle was forced down twenty miles north of Prescott when the gasoline supply became exhausted.
The Yankee Doodle took off from Mines field, Los Angeles, yesterday at 3:20 p.m. for a continuous journey from the Pacific to the Atlantic.
While the pilot, COLLYER, had stated that pressing business engagements demanded his presence there, he admitted that he would attempt to better GOEBEL'S mark or less than nineteen hours for the trip.
After establishing a new east-to-west record recently in their Lockheed Vega craft, COLLYER and TUCKER said they would set to make a whole revision of aviation records.
The plane had just been released from the factory, where it underwent a complete overhauling after the record trip from New York.
Only the fact that the rocks were plowed away at the spot where the plane hit enabled the searchers to fix the exact location of the crash, for parts of the craft were scattered for more than a quarter of a mile along the mountainside.
Letters and photographs, along with a few personal effects of the fliers, served to identify them as the two who hopped off at Mines field, Los Angeles, yesterday afternoon at 3:20 with the intention of keeping a business engagement in New York City today.
Pack mules were expected to bring the bodies down to the highway, where they will be brought here. There was no part of the Yankee Doodle worth salvaging. One strip of the fuselage bearing the name served to help identify the plane.
The fatal crash which snuffed out the lives of two of aviation's most prominent figures apparently took place between 7:30 and 8 o'clock last night. A monoplane was reported seen over a little cluster of mining prospectors cabins about five miles from here about 7:30. At that time it was said that the motor apparently was not functioning properly.
In this crippled condition it was swallowed up in the mist and rain of the night, which authorities here believe was responsible for its becoming lost in the mountain fastness.

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
The Salt Lake Tribune Utah 1928-11-05

MONOPLANE, RACING FOR NEW AIR RECORD, SMASHES INTO CANYON WALL IN ARIZONA.

COLLYER, PILOT, AND TUCKER, OWNER, PERISH IN TERRIFIC EXPLOSION OF GASOLINE.

Prescott, Ariz., Nov. 4 (AP) -- The monoplane Yankee Doodle, holder of two transcontinental records, caught in a blinding rain and fog in the Bradshaw mountains last night, struck against the side of a wall in Crook canyon, twenty-three miles south of here, and sent Captain C. B. COLLYER, pilot, and HARRY TUCKER, passenger-owner, to their deaths.
The plane was en route from Los Angeles to New York on a nonstop flight.
Scattered bits of airplane wreckage strewn along the canyon today told searching parties the story of the wreck and resulted in positive identification of the aircraft and the bodies of COLLYER and TUCKER.
It is believed by members of the sheriff's searching party which found the strewn wreckage late today that the craft had struck the canyon side with a tremendous force and that the heavy load of gasoline exploded with the impact.
The open parachutes of the pilot and the passenger indicated that the pair, realizing their plight too late, had made an effort to jump. Their landing flares had also been released.
J. B. TOMLINSON, manager of the Storm Cloud mines, was the only eyewitness of the crash. He said he heard the plane come down through the canyon, sputting as if the motor was failing, and after it had scraped the tree tops for a distance, crashed. He said a loud explosion immediately followed the crash.
The rugged character of the terrain did not enable searchers to reach the scene of the tragedy until late today, when a 20 year old youth, FRANK SHIELDS, found the scattered remains of the proud cross continent record-holding monoplane.
The Bradsaw mountains where the plane fell previously proved a barrier to the Yankee Doodle in a nonstop flight less than two months agao. With ART GOEBEL, famous transoceanic aviator, at the controls and TUCKER as a passenger, the Yankee Doodle was forced down twenty miles north of Prescott when the gasoline supply became exhausted.
The Yankee Doodle took off from Mines field, Los Angeles, yesterday at 3:20 p.m. for a continuous journey from the Pacific to the Atlantic.
While the pilot, COLLYER, had stated that pressing business engagements demanded his presence there, he admitted that he would attempt to better GOEBEL'S mark or less than nineteen hours for the trip.
After establishing a new east-to-west record recently in their Lockheed Vega craft, COLLYER and TUCKER said they would set to make a whole revision of aviation records.
The plane had just been released from the factory, where it underwent a complete overhauling after the record trip from New York.
Only the fact that the rocks were plowed away at the spot where the plane hit enabled the searchers to fix the exact location of the crash, for parts of the craft were scattered for more than a quarter of a mile along the mountainside.
Letters and photographs, along with a few personal effects of the fliers, served to identify them as the two who hopped off at Mines field, Los Angeles, yesterday afternoon at 3:20 with the intention of keeping a business engagement in New York City today.
Pack mules were expected to bring the bodies down to the highway, where they will be brought here. There was no part of the Yankee Doodle worth salvaging. One strip of the fuselage bearing the name served to help identify the plane.
The fatal crash which snuffed out the lives of two of aviation's most prominent figures apparently took place between 7:30 and 8 o'clock last night. A monoplane was reported seen over a little cluster of mining prospectors cabins about five miles from here about 7:30. At that time it was said that the motor apparently was not functioning properly.
In this crippled condition it was swallowed up in the mist and rain of the night, which authorities here believe was responsible for its becoming lost in the mountain fastness.

Makes no sense to me. First it talks about the heavy load of gasoline then later in the story it says The gasoline supply became exhausted. So did they have gas or not?

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
lol...there is always a test with me...sorry.

I thought you might like the MGM lion story...I found it while reading up on one of tonto basins first settlers...a name forgotten to most history texts...but locals remember....how odd.

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
lol...there is always a test with me...sorry.

I thought you might like the MGM lion story...I found it while reading up on one of tonto basins first settlers...a name forgotten to most history texts...but locals remember....how odd.

Another happy ending! They were pretty lucky!

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
yea...I want to go see if the engine is still out there...haven't read any follow up about salvage....8-)

Probably some do it yourselfers dragged it off. Something you wouldn't read about.

I found a plane crash in the Sierra Ancha mountains when I was there deer hunting in 84 or 85. It had been there for years. We took the forest road through Punkin Center up into the mountains.

There's a plane crash in the Santa Catalina mountains just north of Tucson. The engine's there but not worth anything but scrap.

The Desert Explorers website has interesting reading on plane crashes especially the one where the pilot gets too close so he can wave to his buddy in the other plane.

Last edited:

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013

Interesting story about the F-104. That was in 69. I got to Luke AFB in 80 and the Germans were still there with a whole squadron of F-104s for training. I don't remember if they were still there when I left in 86. We trained a lot of different countries there. Saudi's, Japan, Argentina & more.

One time we had a pilot in a T-33 coming in for a landing and forgot to put his landing gear down. So I was told. Landed pretty good for not using the gear. Probably went to the boneyard after that.

I was stationed in New Mexico and over the range a reservist was flying an A-7 when the right wing broke off. The last thing the tower heard was "Oh ****! then he ejected. We had to go out and pick up the pieces. The biggest piece was the wing. It was still in one piece, there wasn't much left of the jet. It crashed a couple of miles from the wing. Lots of melted metal.

At the same base we had an F-111 crash on the runway. Too much of an angle. Instead of landing on the main gear the tail hit the ground, the pilots ejected. The nose slammed down and broke off the front part of the jet. Since F-111 have a capsule ejection system, once its gone there's not a whole lot of the nose left. It burned till the fire department got there. Instead of having us get the crane and flat bed and haul it away to open the runway they had us pulling actuators off it first and other parts before we moved it.

I've only been to one crash were the pilots died. That was in England. An F-111 crashed at the end of the runway, went through a chain link fence, across the road and ended up in a field. The pilots rode it out to make sure it didn't hit any houses. Never heard what happened. It set in a hangar for months before they boxed it up and haul it off. Not something you want to go through.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread