Whetstone nuggets

froggy

Jan 18, 2008
Canyon Del Oro, Arizona
The Tucson Weekly Citizen of July 11, 1874, notes:
“Charles O. Brown has this week been out in the Whetstone mountains looking for the somewhat noted Whetstone mine, known to have been extensively worked many years ago, but did not find it. He found a canyon with a number of springs which form quite a stream, and plenty of ash and walnut shrubbery and wild grapes; also several stone houses, the largest of which was about fifteen feet square. It is not exactly clear whether the houses were built for miners or mescal makers, but there being very little mescal in the neighborhood it is believed they were for miners.”

Charles O. Brown was a Tucson saloon owner and a drinking buddy of Thomas Jeffords. Hope someone finds this useful.

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
The Tucson Weekly Citizen of July 11, 1874, notes:
“Charles O. Brown has this week been out in the Whetstone mountains looking for the somewhat noted Whetstone mine, known to have been extensively worked many years ago, but did not find it. He found a canyon with a number of springs which form quite a stream, and plenty of ash and walnut shrubbery and wild grapes; also several stone houses, the largest of which was about fifteen feet square. It is not exactly clear whether the houses were built for miners or mescal makers, but there being very little mescal in the neighborhood it is believed they were for miners.”

Charles O. Brown was a Tucson saloon owner and a drinking buddy of Thomas Jeffords. Hope someone finds this useful.

He was also friends with George Hand, another saloon owner and i believe they were in business together for a while. Hand is well know for the diaries he kept. Amazingly enough Brown's house still stands in downtown Tucson.

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
loll...no, but it will show that none have ever found gold in the wetstones.

So the Whetstone Nuggets are in the Dragoon Mountains?? There's a few stories out there. Heard a story that the Dutchman dug them up and that's why there's no record of gold being found in the Whetstones. He took it all and headed to the Superstition Mountains, claiming he dug them up there. I think is bull. He stole the gold from the Vulture mine. Another story is they're buried in the Papago Mountains in Phx. To this day Lt. Whetstone's ghost still haunts the Whetstones looking for his gold nuggets. One thing we know for certain is the Whetstone Nuggets came from Rich Hill. Lol!

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
there sure is a lot of history that occurred about those mountains...but other than the cave system, I have never heard a peep about nuggets out there...neat country...
for the apache, that mou tain overlooked both the san pedro and the santa cruz river basins...
I never did go nose about up top...

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
there sure is a lot of history that occurred about those mountains...but other than the cave system, I have never heard a peep about nuggets out there...neat country...
for the apache, that mou tain overlooked both the san pedro and the santa cruz river basins...
I never did go nose about up top...

Must be why the highest peak is called Apache Peak.

Crowfriend

Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold coins in the Whetstones found by noted lawman Jeff Milton

41F6B0FE-61B8-4064-9885-57CBC0AB7408.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread