the superstitions

maui

Dec 3, 2007
maui, hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i also was wondering if there is anything new but have not heard [ read ] anything lately.
still think that something fishy has happened to them.
take care and be safe out there. ron

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All three dead I believe. There is definitely some bad juju going on in those mountains. Tried many times to go and things always went bad. I will not try again. Two venicles that have always been rock solid reliable would not start when we tried to go several times. And the one time we did make it was on a whim on the way back from Phoenix. I have never seen it rain that hard in my life.

Like I said, Some bad juju going on there.

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
I don't buy any of the superstitious "bad juju" thing . . . . anyone wants to go up there, I have no problems with it. Go armed, keep a good supply of water, don't do anything stupid and your chances of returning are fine. Why allow fear to rule your heart, ya gotta die some day!

Cherokee_Kidd

Feb 16, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skywola said:
I don't buy any of the superstitious "bad juju" thing . . . . anyone wants to go up there, I have no problems with it. Go armed, keep a good supply of water, don't do anything stupid and your chances of returning are fine. Why allow fear to rule your heart, ya gotta die some day!
I agree.

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
This is what I found on Wikipedia: On July 11, 2010 Curtis Meriworth (67), Ardean Charles (62) and Malcolm Meeks (60) went missing in the Superstition Mountains looking for the mine. One of the men became lost in the same area in 2009 and had to be rescued. On July 19, the Maricopa county Sheriff's department called off the search for the lost men. They presumably died in the summer heat.

There is also an article about someone who disappeared on November 22 of 2009. http://www.denverpost.com/recommended/ci_14208899

I find it a hard to believe someone could get lost, it is easier to get lost in the woods, (other than the water and heat issue) because in the woods you have a much shorter line of site and have to remember more landmarks. The desert is less forgiving though . . . .
I like printing out satelite photos of the area I am going into to carry with me, it gives me an edge. Remote areas are fun to hike, but I never go unarmed. My main disadvantage is that I do not have a 4-wheeler as of yet! I do not go with expectations of finding much, although I am sure that is always a slight possibility, I ususally bring my camera, and take photos, but I would not even think of staying overnight up there this time of year, as I get cold easy.

GoldBack

Aug 19, 2010
Skywola said:
This is what I found on Wikipedia: On July 11, 2010 Curtis Meriworth (67), Ardean Charles (62) and Malcolm Meeks (60) went missing in the Superstition Mountains looking for the mine. One of the men became lost in the same area in 2009 and had to be rescued. On July 19, the Maricopa county Sheriff's department called off the search for the lost men. They presumably died in the summer heat.

There is also an article about someone who disappeared on November 22 of 2009. http://www.denverpost.com/recommended/ci_14208899

I find it a hard to believe someone could get lost, it is easier to get lost in the woods, (other than the water and heat issue) because in the woods you have a much shorter line of site and have to remember more landmarks. The desert is less forgiving though . . . .
I like printing out satelite photos of the area I am going into to carry with me, it gives me an edge. Remote areas are fun to hike, but I never go unarmed. My main disadvantage is that I do not have a 4-wheeler as of yet! I do not go with expectations of finding much, although I am sure that is always a slight possibility, I ususally bring my camera, and take photos, but I would not even think of staying overnight up there this time of year, as I get cold easy.

Well guess you could just chalk it all up to getting lost; its when decapitated corpse show up again is when you know you got problems!

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
I was out there last weekend. Judging by the terrain I encountered, I would say that the most likely thing that happened is that they went out on a long jaunt, one of them got hurt, and while trying to get back, they ran out of water. It is not the type of terrain that you want to run out of water on, because it takes a lot of stamina to get through it. Carrying a phone with you is a no-brainer. Anytime you go into a remote area, no matter what precautions you take, though, something can go wrong. But your chances of something going wrong while you are driving are higher.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread