Arizona leads

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
in 1860, there were less than 3,000 people of northern european decent in the newly formed arizona territory.
that some were southern leaning, they did not JOIN the confederacy, or union. they sat in bars in tucson, complaining about the apache, an drinking themselves stupid.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THE CONFEDERATE TERRITORY OF ARIZONA, Col. Sherod Hunter Camp 1525, SCV, Phoenix, Arizona

many maps once had "there be dragons" on the unknown portions of the map...doesn't mean dragons existed, just like the confederate state of arizona.

[h=2]The Confederate Territory of “Arrizona” (Arizona)[/h] 1862 Johnson's Map of the American Southwest

In 1861 “Arrizona” was an alternate name for the lands added to the New Mexico territory by the 1854 Gadsden Purchase. With only a small population and minimal political influence this region was largely ignored by the New Mexico territorial government in distant Sante Fe. Bandits, hostile American Indian tribes, and outlaws ran rampant as only token effort was made by the New Mexico territorial government to police the region. The loosely organized inhabitants of southern New Mexico, or Arizona as it was being called, sent several appeals to Washington D.C. to be granted independent territorial status, but its low population caused the request to be repeatedly denied. At the outbreak of the Civil War, Arizonans saw an opportunity to appeal to an alternate body for the political needs of the region and through their lot in with the secessionist southern states. Around this time the Union began to withdraw troops from the region in fear that Sante Fe would be attacked by Confederate soldiers operating out of Texas. In Texas itself Col. John Robert Baylor, recognizing a strategic opportunity, led his troops into Southern Arizona. In a series of brilliant tactical maneuvers, Baylor defeated the much larger Union garrison and seized Fort Fillmore and Messilla. Shortly thereafter Baylor declared himself Territorial Governor of the Confederate Territory of Arizona including “all that portion of New Mexico lying south of the thirty-fourth parallel of north latitude.” Johnson's 1866 Map of the Southwest

The Confederate Territory of Arizona lasted less than a year before it was seized by the Union Army and dismantled in favor of the current configuration with the Arizona – New Mexico border situated along along a north-south axis. Some have suggested that the current border between Arizona and New Mexico was chosen for no other reason than that it differed from the Confederate border. However, it is far more likely that this border was influenced by the prospect of a Southern Pacific railroad route. If the Confederate boundaries had remained the railroad would have would have run only through Arizona, thus denying New Mexico the political and business opportunities that would have inevitably followed. A longitudinal border, however, allowed both territories to be enriched by the Southern Pacific Railroad. Related Posts: The Proposed Routes of the Pacific Railroad in Antique Maps

Jan 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Adams Chronology

http://docsouth.unc.edu/imls/confdocs.html

perhaps someone did not read when i posted that the imaginary confederate state
of arizona was based on less than the size of the gadsen purchase.

much smaller. http://gadsdenpurchase.com/

also: not one document exists to suggest that arizona was ever entertained as a territory or state by the confederacy...
mythology... a confederate invaded new mexico, so arizona is a state of the confederacy,

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sounds interesting, especially this time of the year, snowy and cold in Ohio. Every time I have been in southern Arizona, we were continually checked by the border patrol, unpacking our truck , looking through our gear, and warning us about how dangerous the area is. I love the country, but I can't relax unless I'm well north of the border.:BangHead::dontknow:

Jan 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So! I found a copy of marshal trimble's Arizona stories...what a giggle...state historian...:BangHead:
Home

marshal states clearly, captian hunter was ordered to invade Tucson, by so an so who took santé fe...
his ARMY consisted of 54 grown men...who robbed stages, ambushed blue coats{not a whole lot left in the southwest at the time...actually captured one or two officers}

sure protected the bars in the old presidio...

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
The confederate came to Tucson, raised their flag without any complaints from the towns people. It wasn't up long. They heard a column of volunteers was coming from California so they took off and the American flag was raised without a shot being fired. So you could hardly call Arizona a confederate territory. The only battle that occurred in Arizona was at Picacho Peak north of Tucson and that was more like a skirmish than a battle. The only confederate soldier's that were killed in Arizona that I know of was at a Butterfield stage stop. I believe it was called Apache Springs in the Dragoon MTS. They were killed by apache indian's. That's were they're buried. You can go there and see their graves with conderate flags and two of the graves you can still read their names. While there you can also see what's left of the Butterfield stage stop.

dump_digger

Dec 22, 2016
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's prizm 950
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
too bad this thread is so old, I would have loved to get in on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread