Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Want Info about Willcox Az area for metal detecting for gold

One of the more famous areas near Willcox is from one of the Willcox train robberies.

Some half-baked robbers tried to rob the train out of the Willcox station. When they got about 5 miles out (by the dry lake), they blew up
the safe. They used WAY too many explosives, and blew coins to kingdom come. People have been looking for those blown up coins for
years.

Go to the Willcox train station - out that old road past it (it turns to dirt), along side the tracks - we have not been lucky enough to find any,
but we have found some interesting things out there.

There have been many train robberies out there - that is just one of them.

Beth

Attachments

• willcox blown up train.jpg
    willcox blown up train.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 1,523
  • willcox station 4.JPG
    willcox station 4.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 961
  • willcox blown up train.jpg
    willcox blown up train.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 1,385
  • willcox station 4.JPG
    willcox station 4.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 548

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI

I have read about this, somewhere, I believe I read that the railroad tracks were moved, so the old railroad location was different than the present location. The coins that were "blown to kingdom come" as you put it were not the target of the robbers. They were canvas bags of silver pesos, being shipped to the Mexican Government. The dynamite was most likely placed against the the safe door, and bags of silver pesos stacked around the explosive. I think they got away with more than $50,000 . . . . I wouldn't call them half-baked!

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You are correct.

However, the dirt road you drive down is where the railroad used to be - it was moved over somewhat - but, you are still right there.

And, once you get out there a little ways, you can see where the old tracks were very well (there are old timbers from the older bridge-spans, too.).

Beth

elkman13

Aug 24, 2003

Thought I read some years ago that all the coins were recovered.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No - they recovered a bunch of them - but not all. Back a couple of years ago - someone found a piece of one. I guess that would be more than a couple of years now - probably about 5.

Also, can't remember exactly when, but someone found a cave in the hills that had an old saddle and a few other things that they thought might
have belonged to the gang.

Beth

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI

There is actually another thread on this site the has quite a bit of info on the robbery.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,148328.0.html

Me, I am not so interested in where the Mexican pesos are, I'm more interested in what happened to the $50,000+ that they took with them. :laughing7: I'd bet it is buried
somewhere . . . . If I were going to hide something like that, I have a pretty good idea
where I would put it . . .

timemachine

Apr 8, 2015
Seattle
Detector(s) used
GPZ7000 / Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the more famous areas near Willcox is from one of the Willcox train robberies.

Some half-baked robbers tried to rob the train out of the Willcox station. When they got about 5 miles out (by the dry lake), they blew up
the safe. They used WAY too many explosives, and blew coins to kingdom come. People have been looking for those blown up coins for
years.

Go to the Willcox train station - out that old road past it (it turns to dirt), along side the tracks - we have not been lucky enough to find any,
but we have found some interesting things out there.

There have been many train robberies out there - that is just one of them.

Beth

Beth, thanks for posting; More adventures to look into when the season is right!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions