nahabit

nahabit

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2006

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
nahabit said:
And if it is imperceptible? If there where who does not see? Whether the big penalty?

According to a website for national forests and parks:

"The disturbance or 'looting' of any archaeological or historic site on federal lands is a serious violation punishable by law. Several federal laws, including the Archaeological Resources Protection Act of 1979 (ARPA), provide protection for archaeological sites and artifacts on military bases, national forests, national parks and other federal lands. ARPA is a general intent rather than a specific intent statute. This means that an individual does not have to know that his or her actions were illegal or even know that he or she was on federal land to violate the act. If damage is severe and intent can be shown, federal agencies can charge the perpetrators with theft and destruction of government property. The penalty can be up to 10 years in prison and/or up to $10,000 for each offense."

Violators may also have their metal detectors and other equipment confiscated.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nahabit said:
10 years in prison :'(

in Reality, I'm Not sure if anyone has ever received the 10 year
Sentence, unless they get caught more them once.

But in most cases, they will Get a Fine, plus have everything
Confiscated (Stolen by the Feds) and Sold.

lehidan

Greenie
Aug 13, 2005
jeff of pa said:
nahabit said:
10 years in prison :'(

in Reality, I'm Not sure if anyone has ever received the 10 year
Sentence, unless they get caught more them once.

But in most cases, they will Get a Fine, plus have everything
Confiscated (Stolen by the Feds) and Sold.
I stopped at Lee's Ferry once and made an inocent comment to the ranger that it would be cool to metal detect near the old ferry docking area, man he was ready to arest me right then and there. He also asked if I had a md in my car and if I did he was going to confiscate it and any other equipment I might have with me. He was so pumped against detecting I think he would have arrested his own mother on the spot if she had mentioned detecting. I had to talk like a dutch uncle to get out of there in one peice. Fortunately I didn't have any equipment with me at the time or I would have been arrested then and there. What has BIG BROTHER gone and created??? WOW it was scarry

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hahahahha

"Hey Mr. Ranger, I'm gonna go dig up some holes, and take stuff off the land, sound good to you?"

I don't really blame them to be honest. There are so many people visiting state parks/etc that if they don't act like that, people would tear the places up. It's nice to have natural parks to visit, and we need to keep it that way for future generations, not only our viewing pleasure. The population is getting out of hand, and they have to run a tight ship.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Find the old Stage Station, it's just a little ways, west of "Apache Pass".
And! A couple of miles, from the Fort!
Go east, from "The Station", to & into "The Cheery Cows Mnts."
Find "Lopez Canyon" and "Break Out" your detector! :D
"Cus", you're going to find gold nuggets :o about the size of "beans" all over the place!
Save! A handful for me! ;)

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
nahabit, one thing that sucks here in the US, is that almost all of the old historic battle field sites are protected by the government and off limits to any detecting whatsoever. in the state of Delaware, where i live, detecting is not allowed on any land owned by the state, whether it is historically important or not. it is a common problem for us detectorists here. the government really frowns upon our hobby. :'(

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw nothing in the rules at the Roosevelt NP and was detecting. The ranger told me i couldnt detect in the park so i packed it up. He then started asking me all about the various types of detectors... he was looking for one. Then we started debating coins as trash VS relics. Kind of weird, corps of engineer rules, forest, and state all have their own rules. corps says you can detect on beachs or any previouly disturbed places. Kind of a shame to just let all that history rust away.

Bunk

Nov 28, 2006
AZ
Detector(s) used
ML 4000-ML X70
cptbil said:
Find the old Stage Station, it's just a little ways, west of "Apache Pass".
And! A couple of miles, from the Fort!
Go east, from "The Station", to & into "The Cheery Cows Mnts."
Find "Lopez Canyon" and "Break Out" your detector! :D
"Cus", you're going to find gold nuggets :o about the size of "beans" all over the place!
Save! A handful for me! ;)
cptbil, I don't see a Lopez cyn. on any of my maps.
Since I am just learning my metal detector, I would be very interested in a place you could find "bean sized" nuggets.
Bunk

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped at Lee's Ferry once and made an inocent comment to the ranger that it would be cool to metal detect near the old ferry docking area, man he was ready to arest me right then and there. He also asked if I had a md in my car and if I did he was going to confiscate it and any other equipment I might have with me. He was so pumped against detecting I think he would have arrested his own mother on the spot if she had mentioned detecting. I had to talk like a dutch uncle to get out of there in one peice. Fortunately I didn't have any equipment with me at the time or I would have been arrested then and there. What has BIG BROTHER gone and created??? WOW it was scarry
[/quote]

Hey where is this pea brain at, i want to go and say the same thing to him. Cept I will have some MD stuff in my trunk. There is NO law that says u cannot own or transport MD ing gear, EVEN on fed property, IT is however against the LAW to use it. KEY word transport/ use, seems that lil ranger had the JOHN WAYNE attitude and def needs to be smacked down a notch or two and brought back to reality. If I was you i would have made a "FORMAL" complaint of harassment to the park superintendent..

I can see it now if that ranger has his way, u are on vacation, traveling and hunting legit places, u visit a NP for its scenic and historic value all ur detecting gear is stored as usual, ur just visiting and siteseeing, when all of a sudden ur arrested for transporting MD equipment on a NP, what a crock that would be. If they have there way what r u suppose to do stop somewhere and drop off your detector before visiting then go back and pick it up after ?

This just gave me a great IDEA look for a post under Legal ISSUES>>> fighting FIRE with FIRE>> it will be there soon..

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
BUNK:
Nope!
You won't find it on any map!
It's the Apache Name for the canyon
It took me, about three years to find it!
AND!
I lived in Douglas, at the time...
AND!
Yes!
There's a GOOD REASON!
Why I haven't put a "Claim" on it!
BUT!
It's THERE! :P
As is, another entrance to the cave, Uncle Sam (Thought !!!) he sealed up!
You know?
The one that has the actual underground river in it!

OP
OP
nahabit

nahabit

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2006
hollowpointred said:
nahabit, one thing that sucks here in the US, is that almost all of the old historic battle field sites are protected by the government and off limits to any detecting whatsoever. in the state of Delaware, where i live, detecting is not allowed on any land owned by the state, whether it is historically important or not. it is a common problem for us detectorists here. the government really frowns upon our hobby. :'(
How you hunt in Delaware if it illegally? Secretly and imperceptibly for policemen?And what if to hunt on coins in a wood where there are no people and who does not see? You so do?

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
PBK:
Hay!
I know of a cave near the AZ/NM Border where there's a mummified body of an Indian and one of a Mnt Loin!
AND!
I AM going to be going there this spring
AND !
I am going to take a couple of the pots that are there, in the cave with the bodies !!
Sounds like a good deal to me!
Care to come along ? ;D

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
nahabit said:
hollowpointred said:
How you hunt in Delaware if it illegally? Secretly and imperceptibly for policemen?And what if to hunt on coins in a wood where there are no people and who does not see? You so do?

sorry it took me so long to see this question Nahabit. in the state of Delaware the state is divided into three counties. some of the land belongs to the state as a whole, and some of the land belongs to the counties. in the county where i live, land that the county maintains is OK to hunt on (parks, schools, woods, etc.) that's where i focus my hunting efforts. it just isn't worth the risk to hunt on state land. they can take your detector and any equipment they say you were using to commit the "crime" ::). they can even take your car! some people do hunt in state owned woods and remote places but they are taking their chances. i really wish the government was more supportive of our hobby. it seems that we threaten the archaeologists.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
cptbil said:
PBK:
I know of a cave near the AZ/NM Border where there's a mummified body of an Indian and one of a Mnt Loin!
I am going to take a couple of the pots that are there, in the cave with the bodies !!
Care to come along ? ;D

Think I'll pass! :D

A trip like that could earn you enough bonus points for an extended stay at the Leavenworth Hilton.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Hollowpointred:
Are you not aware of what happens to Treasure Hunters (TH'ers) when the U.S. Govt finds out that you have GOLD !!! :-\
Ever since the Doc Noss, White Sands, Victorio Peak Theft!
AND!
Assorted, related Murders.... IE: JFK!!

YOU & YOUR GOLD ARE MADE TO DISAPPEAR!
:o

Since that time .......
Your Govt goes CRAZY when there is mention of GOLD!
Before that time, they used to point at TH'ers and call us CRAZY!
Then they found out
THAT THERE REALLY IS TREASURE OUT THERE! :o

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
PBK:
;) That REALLY WORRIES ME TOO! ;D
As If I weren't used to dealn' those double dealin' Feds! >:(
I have had a lot of first hand experience(s) ...
I used to be a "Partner" ( & close Friend(s)) with:
John Ballinger
With
Gene Ballinger
even
Don F. (of The Columbus (NM) Air Force, fame!! ) ;D
The Noss Family, ie: "Jerry"
Etc....
I wasn't Born Yesterday, believe Me! :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions