Save me from this new hobby! Or point me in the direction of more!

• Thread starter askmeabouttravel
  • Start date
A

askmeabouttravel

I'm a brand newbie who has caught the bug. I'm in Queen Creek so the Superstition Mountains are calling.

I know just enough to know I don't know anything - but I'm willing to learn. Are there any groups or individuals who allow tag alongs?

Oh, I'm also a travel agent who's considering branching out into treasure trips as a niche market. Has anyone ever traveled by plane and brought your detectors/screens/stuff with you?

Thanks!

Kim

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You seek Dutchies mine? If so, I'd be happy to go hiking with you a bit, show you some of the places of interest.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Go up (east) Gold Canyon, turn south at Miner's Needle !
You'll find a nice "lead/ruby silver" mine! :o
But!
Hurry! 8)
It's on my list!
:-[ (If I ever can get out of here!) :-\

OP
OP
A

askmeabouttravel

djui5 said:
You seek Dutchies mine? If so, I'd be happy to go hiking with you a bit, show you some of the places of interest.

Well, I'm not quite sure what I'm searching for as yet. I'm still at the reading stage - trying to get a handle on all the possibilities. But I'd love to find out more about the area and how things are done. I tend to be a hands on kind of gal!

Thanks

Kim

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well let me know when you wanna go for a hike and I'll meet up with you at First Water.

OP
OP
A

askmeabouttravel

djui5 said:
Well let me know when you wanna go for a hike and I'll meet up with you at First Water.

Ok, I'll blush and admit my ignorance...

What is First Water??

Kim

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
green horn! ;D

Well, First Water is commonly known as a trail head where most people go into the range. There are 2 major one's, First Water which is on the North West side of the range, and the Peralta Trailhead, which is on the South side.
Here is the location on a topo map.
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=33.4778&lon=-111.439&datum=nad27&u=4&layer=DRG&size=l&s=50

If you move to the West (left) you'll find the Lost Dutchman State Park and the Gold Field Ghost Town. You can access this trailhead from Hwy 88 (AKA the old Apache Trail), which runs past this point to Canyon, Apache, and Roosevelt Lakes.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Askmeaboutravel:
Are you interested in just The Superstitions,
Or!
In Metal detecting for nuggets, coins, artifacts, etc..
Or!
In Treasure Hunting, either lost mines, hidden caches, Old Missions, etc?
Or!
Exploring caves, caverns,...
Or!
In!
Photographing old sites, Prehistorical Celtic & Indian Writting/SITES
Or!
In learning a little prospecting along the way ?
OR ? ::) :P ???

Attachments

• NM Drill Crew.jpg
    NM Drill Crew.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 610
  • NM Drill Crew.jpg
    NM Drill Crew.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 619

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Here's ..... Me n' Bugs ....
In a Spanish Mine Tunnel !

Attachments

• Me \'n Roads.jpg
    Me \'n Roads.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 600
  • Me \'n Roads.jpg
    Me \'n Roads.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 617
OP
OP
A

askmeabouttravel

djui5 said:
green horn! ;D

Yes, I'm definately a green horn. And you know what, I have no trouble admitting that! It seems to me you get into trouble pretending to know more than you do :-)

I claim ignorance but not stupidity. I can be taught! I read - a lot - but that can only take you so far...

So, when you hike in the Superstitions - what kind of footwear do you use? Hiking boots etc? I assume you want more than sneakers...

Thanks for the replies..

Kim

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
askmeaboutravel!
Don't be put off by the looks ::) of my New Mexico Drill Crew ;D
The guy on the left, in the dark red shirt, is college professor from NYC.
The guy in the blue "t" shirt, is a retired businessman/chemist from NM.
THe guy bent over, is a retired Air Traffic Controller from Dallas, Texas.
The guy with the beard and sunglass on, is a retired Tempe, Az., Policeman.,
now lving in Gilbert, Az.
The guy behind the camera is, ME! :D
Living where ever the JEEP & Dog are !

Attachments

• Me \'n Roads.jpg
    Me \'n Roads.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 600
  • Me \'n Roads.jpg
    Me \'n Roads.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 612
OP
OP
A

askmeabouttravel

cptbil said:
Askmeaboutravel:
Are you interested in just The Superstitions,
Or!
In Metal detecting for nuggets, coins, artifacts, etc..
Or!
In Treasure Hunting, either lost mines, hidden caches, Old Missions, etc?
Or!
Exploring caves, caverns,...
Or!
In!
Photographing old sites, Prehistorical Celtic & Indian Writting/SITES
Or!
In learning a little prospecting along the way ?
OR ? ::) :P ???

Well, the short answer is YES! I find the whole concept of treasure hunting fascinating both from a historical and from a "I'd like to find treasure" perspective. I'm not real sure about caves - I'm a touch claustrophobic. But I'm usually willing to try. Arizona has so many places to explore that it's hard to know where to start.

I certainly appreciate the info!

Kim

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Kim:
HAY!
Don't be embarrased by being a "greenhorn/newbee", etc.
I have yet to find a "BORN" anything !
We all start out as a "ZERO" ! ;D

I guess that the photo of The NM Drill Crew would be a good example..
'bout NOT! judging people from thier appearances! :-[

You want to know what I wear in the Mnts?
AND!
I am in the mnts/desert, etc, for many months a year!
I WEAR what The Natives wear/wore ....

Yep!
Good old "Sneakers" ! (Of a sort)

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
askmeabouttravel said:
Yes, I'm definately a green horn. And you know what, I have no trouble admitting that! It seems to me you get into trouble pretending to know more than you do :-)

I claim ignorance but not stupidity. I can be taught! I read - a lot - but that can only take you so far...

So, when you hike in the Superstitions - what kind of footwear do you use? Hiking boots etc? I assume you want more than sneakers...

Thanks for the replies..

Kim

Kim,
Just pullin' your leg a little :)
When I go hiking I wear a pair of cross trainer sneakers. Some people wear big hiking boots, but they are heavy and I don't like to weigh myself down at all, so I take something light with really good tread. I've seen people back there in sandals believe it or not. As long as your feet are comfortable, that's all that really matters. I do quite a bit of off trail hiking and wearing low cut shoes never bothered me at all. I do always wear jeans though. Some hikers like to stay on the trails and you can get pretty far in there wearing shorts as the main trails are well trimmed for the most part.
Other than that I highly recommend taking more water than you think you'll need. It's not to bad now that it's cool, but when it's warm or hot you drink a lot more water than you think you normally would. That desert can take it out of you really fast.
The terrain isn't bad at all really, unless you go up certain trails or try to climb the sides of mountains. The main trails are quite pleasant to walk on, and going in from First Water shows mild elevation changes until you try to climb Bull Pass, Black Mountain, or if you head out to the South and climb up to Freemont Saddle. You'll learn all these places soon enough.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
KIM:
Go ARMED!
Even a .22!
Forget! Pepper/MACE ...
They seem to be a little short on range
People have been killed !
I was shot at ONCE!
(And! I was on the same, 1/4 Circle "U" Ranch, Trail!)
Going in, in a group, seems to help, keep away "The Evil Spirits!

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bill,
When was it you got shot at? It's not bad back there anymore really. There are so many tourists and hikers back there now that nothing seems to happen much anymore. There are a couple areas you don't wanna be hiking into, but there are no trails to those areas either, so I don't think she'll have to worry about it.

Now in the warmer seasons you have snakes to worry about.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long as it's not a loincloth! ;)

OP
OP
A

askmeabouttravel

So, will I get kicked out of the future prospectors club if I don't own a gun?? :)

Kim

Sentinel

Jan 5, 2007
Always carry plenty of water. Dehydration happens in cold weather as often as warm. Don't depend on springs or other water sources.

Any good outdoors outfitter will carry what are called snake pants or chaps. There are variations, some which cover only the lower legs. Snakes sometimes forget and pop up in the most unpredictable weather and circumstances.

Do not hike alone. Period.

A firearm isn't necessary. Plenty of Dutch Hunters carry for years and never even pull the gun once, others never enter the mountains with one. Their feeling is the lack of one is less of a threat . It is one choice of personal comfort.

Carry the necessities: flashlight, matches, first aid kit, compass and a good topo map. Long sleeved shirts are always a good idea in all weather.

Most important: Let someone know when you are going, where you are going and with whom.

There are some areas where you can unexpectadly get a dial tone. Always good to carry the cell.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread