Navigable Creeks or Rivers in Southern Bradshaw Region ?

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
I'm looking for anywhere in the Bradshaws area where i can put a small boat in (canoe, or inflatable raft), and do some camping and panning. Spent some time around Lynx Creek, but i'm really not familiar with the region. Getting around anywhere with a land vehicle is a problem, because landowners are generally hostile to visitors. Gates are locked at night and private vehicles are frequently towed. Maybe travelling by water is a way to avoid all the hassels. Any suggestions ? I'm a fairly experienced river rat and explorer. Remoteness isn't a problem. I travelled the entire length of the San Francisco River from the NM border to Stanton AZ in a kyack. However, I'd like to avoid any class II or III rapids on this trip. Looking for something alittle more liesurely this time.

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
your best bet would be the Agua Fria River... you can enter with a raft or a boat from Lake Pleasant.... that's the only river I know where you can actually get a boat up into a gold bearing area... in the bradshaws....db

Justbent

Mar 23, 2013
North Phoenix
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm looking for anywhere in the Bradshaws area where i can put a small boat in (canoe, or inflatable raft), and do some camping and panning. Spent some time around Lynx Creek, but i'm really not familiar with the region. Getting around anywhere with a land vehicle is a problem, because landowners are generally hostile to visitors. Gates are locked at night and private vehicles are frequently towed. Maybe travelling by water is a way to avoid all the hassels. Any suggestions ? I'm a fairly experienced river rat and explorer. Remoteness isn't a problem. I travelled the entire length of the San Francisco River from the NM border to Stanton AZ in a kyack. However, I'd like to avoid any class II or III rapids on this trip. Looking for something alittle more liesurely this time.
There is a river that runs from NM to Stanton AZ?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
..I travelled the entire length of the San Francisco River from the NM border to Stanton AZ in a kyack..

Umm, can I have a hit of whatever it was you took before writing this? Maybe a half-hit? :laughing7:

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have to add that a thread like this proves how uniformed people out side the southwest are about the area...

lack of knowledge in the southwest can lead to many bad things occurring to oneself.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can always try the Poland Walker tunnel but you may have to push yourself using the the top of the tunnel tight fit:laughing7:

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
He did say he's traveled the entire length of the San Francisco river from New Mexico to Stanton, Az so he must know some about Az. Last time I was in Stanton I didn't see any river though. Maybe it changed course from all the flooding. Yeah! That's it, it change course! Lol!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Umm, can I have a hit of whatever it was you took before writing this? Maybe a half-hit? :laughing7:
Ah... um...well... I guess you could kayak the San Fran past Stanton... WAYYYYY past Stanton. (It would call for a Kayak outfitted with WIDE tires, I think.) TTC

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
Ah... um...well... I guess you could kayak the San Fran past Stanton... WAYYYYY past Stanton. (It would call for a Kayak outfitted with WIDE tires, I think.) TTC

Yes wide tires and the kayak would have to be 4 wheel drive. Don't forget the paddle tires for the wet spots.

IMPDLN

Mar 18, 2014
Central Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2100 V-2, Gold Bug SE, SDC2300, GPX4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That would be one heck of a trip, since you would have to carry that kayak through arid desert without a drop of water to be found for many miles. Only three rivers in Az. that can be floated. The Colorado River, the Verde River, and the Salt River. The Verde and Salt are seasonal only and Colorado is National Park requiring a wait for permits or pay a rafting company. Salt floats only through Indian reservation and have to pay to play. Verde is only during spring run off and very dangerous up to class 5 in places. No prospecting on Colorado River going through grand canyon, it's a National Park. No gold on Verde or Salt rivers. So needless to say, forget about floating anyplace in Az. and prospecting. Agua Fria is not navigable as it is dry most of the year for most of it's length. When it is wet it is flash flooding and you would not want to float that. Also San Francisco River flows from Az. into NM, so that would be a neat trick to float it up stream. Dennis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread