Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was poking around looking for more info on camps in my neck of the woods when I found this.... It says Dragoon Camp. Google Map coordinates are 31.5035, -109.5456.

Here is the link to the book I found it in...

The National gazetteer of the United States of America: Arizona 1986 - Geological Survey (U.S.), United States Board on Geographic Names - Google Books

I hope this is a good lead for some one...

Attachments

• Dragoon Camp.jpg
    Dragoon Camp.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 162
Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the 'dragoons rode out of ft huachua...or ft apache...or ft bowie...
the dragoon mountains are cochise stronghold...two trails into the dragoons...east and west ...three trails were used to 'secure' the area...by the dragoon and other troopies.
upper march, middle march, lower march...a stagecoach stop was at the ranch on middle march...still there last time i was in the area...
any camps, out side the camps that became the points listed above... were temporary, and not on any maps i have seen of the area...

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
the 'dragoons rode out of ft huachua...or ft apache...or ft bowie...
the dragoon mountains are cochise stronghold...two trails into the dragoons...east and west ...three trails were used to 'secure' the area...by the dragoon and other troopies.
upper march, middle march, lower march...a stagecoach stop was at the ranch on middle march...still there last time i was in the area...
any camps, out side the camps that became the points listed above... were temporary, and not on any maps i have seen of the area...

Speaking of Middle March, you know anything about the town? I've been there several times but doesn't look like there was ever much of a town. The mine is quite interesting and looks like there maybe more copper there. I'd hate to see that area get strip mined.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i am not up on the town site...i will do some research on it...
there has been copper found next to the west entrance to the stronghold...some canadian corp is pushing to open pit the area...

insanity rules

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
there has been copper found next to the west entrance to the stronghold...some canadian corp is pushing to open pit the area...

insanity rules

Canadians again! What's up with them?

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013

insanity rules

I guess I could get around to reading one of my books on mining. I have History of Mining in Arizona Vol. I, II, III. I'm sure it would be in there. One website called it a mining camp not a town and said there was 100 people that lived there. I have so many books to read and so little time.

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013

Some interest information.

I've got a book on the Dragoon mountains that I've read before. I don't remember it saying anything about the town. Its got 10 pages on Middle March. Pretty much just information on the different mining companies, how much was taken out, who the people were. I'll have to read it again. So I'm guessing it was just a mining camp.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread