Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Conquistador armor . . .

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Whites TDI
    20 times

Conquistador armor . . .

In the Natural History Museum in Mesa, there is a piece of conquistador armor that was stated to have been found somewhere in the mountains south (I think they said "20 miles south of here"). What has been running though my mind is, that it is curious that only one piece was found . . . it just seems strange that the wearer would throw off the back piece, and not the front piece. So I am left with wondering if perhaps what really happened is that they buried some armor, to prevent it from falling into the hands of hostiles, but forgot one piece, and for that reason it was not buried, and was later found. I would assume they would part with their armor either because it was to hot to wear it, or possibly because the wearer was killed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Armor01.jpg 
Views:	573 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	1013944 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Armor02.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	1013945

This is some tantalizing thoughts, so I have to wonder if perhaps anyone has any idea where this armor was found, who found it, or what expedition it came from, along with possibly the expedition route . . . . interesting thoughts to say the least . .
    embrym likes this.
    We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing, all-powerful god, who creates faulty humans and then blames them for his own mistakes.  Gene Roddenberry

us
    Fortune Favors the BOLD, while Karma Favors the Wise!

Jan 2006
    Arizona Vagrant
    Modded SD2000 / White's Goldmaster 4B / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID
    6275 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Its also possible that Native Americans took some of the armor and wore it.

The two most famous who did that were Chief Iron Shirt (wore Spanish Chain Mail Shirt) and Chief Iron Jacket.

Mike
    elgatodelnoche, AARC and lastleg like this.
    My Motto: "KEEP AT IT!"

............... ALWAYS REMEMBER: When you make a typo, the errorists win...................Aloha Snackbar!

us
    Jul 2012
    San Antonio, Texas
    Garrett 250
    3491 times
    Research/Limited field work
    More than likely this is what they found. Would bet money there is more out there...

Apr 2011
    El Dorado
    Equinox 800, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
    444 times
    Very cool, Skywola! Thanks for sharing!

us
    "We Build, We Fight"

Jan 2014
    The Evergreen State
    -Whites & Minelab-
    166 times
    They may of traded with the natives, once the natives had it the stories/imagination is endless (Buried, fought in war with it, traded with other tribes etc.). I would do some research a little and find the area where they found the armor and md the hole area....GL/HH

us
    Jul 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Whites TDI
    20 times
    Its also possible that Native Americans took some of the armor and wore it.

The two most famous who did that were Chief Iron Shirt (wore Spanish Chain Mail Shirt) and Chief Iron Jacket.
    It is likely that if this were the case, they would have taken this piece too . . . . no doubt the Indians would have considered any piece to be rare and precious.
    We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing, all-powerful god, who creates faulty humans and then blames them for his own mistakes.  Gene Roddenberry

us

Jan 2006
    Arizona Vagrant
    Modded SD2000 / White's Goldmaster 4B / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID
    6275 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywola View Post
    It is likely that if this were the case, they would have taken this piece too . . . . no doubt the Indians would have considered any piece to be rare and precious.
    Not necessarily. Chief Iron Jacket only wore a breastplate.

Mike
    lastleg likes this.

............... ALWAYS REMEMBER: When you make a typo, the errorists win...................Aloha Snackbar!

Charter Member
    us
    TerrysKnifeStore.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Teknetics EuroTek PRO -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    22289 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    It was probably made into arrowheads..

us

Jan 2006
    Arizona Vagrant
    6275 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Soloman View Post
    It was probably made into arrowheads..
    Probably made into an Oklahoma State Beer Helmet

Mike
    timemachine and Simon1 like this.

us
    Jul 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Whites TDI
    20 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    Not necessarily. Chief Iron Jacket only wore a breastplate.
    Mike
    Well, If you were to run across something like this, would you leave it in the desert? The Indians were not stupid . . . . perhaps ignorant at times, but I don't think they would leave it laying there at a time when metals were precious, and armor was rare. A back plate could also be worn as a front plate.

us
    Gold Whispers

Feb 2010
    AZ
    80 times
    Metal Detecting
    I once heard of an ICE Agent working on the Tohono Reservation south of Casa Grande who found a breastplate in a cave.
    This may have been the one he found.

us
    Jun 2015
    Gilbert
    54 times
    Cache Hunting
    I have heard they found 4 full suits of spanish armor at the south side of miners needle buried only 3 feet deep in the 70's -80's Not at all sure if the story can be confirmed.
    Keep on keeping on

us
    Jul 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Whites TDI
    20 times
    I hear a lot of stories about things that have been found, but google for info and find nothing. I am not sure if it is just that the finds do not make the news, or the internet, or they are just stories. I suppose the best way to find out would be to visit all the museums in the area and inquire. That said, given the sheer number of treasure stories that abound, you do have to wonder just how many of them are based on just rumor or outright fabricated. These types of stories are great for the tourism industry.
    I thought about pursuing some of these tales, like the Peralta stones tale, but I sometimes think that you have just as much chance finding something haphazardly than you do of finding something based on the stories that are usually based on very slim and abstract details and very little provable fact.
    perdidogringo likes this.

us
    Jul 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Whites TDI
    20 times
    Here is an interesting newspaper article from 1909. https://www.newspapers.com/clip/3882...spanish_armor/
    perdidogringo likes this.

Dec 2012
    MXT-PRO Sandshark
    12817 times
    Metal Detecting
    I am pretty certain that the front was taken by a buxom apache maiden
    Iím the only one of me, baby thatís the fun of me.. / brendon urie

DONíT TRUST WHITEY / Navin Johnson

EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE ALRIGHT, EVERYTHINGS GONNA BE OK.
    ITS GONNA BE A GOOD GOOD LIFE, THATíS WHAT MY THERAPISTS SAY. / Bebe rexha

IF YOUíRE LOST AND ALONE, OR YOUíRE SINKING LIKE A STONE, CARRY ON / Fun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links