AZRelicGuy

Greenie
Jan 12, 2017
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Lone Star Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just have a quick question on what areas around Sedona/Flagstaff and Prescott can I metal detect without being handcuffed and sent to the nearest court.
I have been driving around and seeing regulation after regulations and at this point Im wondering if metal detecting is illegal here. I have been looking around on google for maps hoping it would show the areas that are legal but no luck yet.
If anyone has any info please comment below because I want to start metal detecting regularly.

Skywola

Jul 5, 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
BLM land is generally safe, although you will want to avoid any Native American artifact sites like the plague, do not go on state land.
Generally public parks are fine, but you probably want to check with city regulations, usually you can find that info online for
larger cities, and I would print it out and carry it with you so if anyone does harass you, you can straighten them out.
To get a map that shows BLM land, you have to buy one, because to my knowledge, there is nothing online that shows
what is BLM and what is not, but I could be wrong. If you get permission from a property owner, you are good to go
with that, but you may want that in writing, depending on the person you are dealing with. You will also want to leave
any place you detected as you found it, with no holes, so as to prevent further restrictions of metal detecting.
If you go detecting for minerals, (like gold) you will need to check to see if there is an active claim on the site. I posted
some info about how to discover that in an earlier post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread