Bradshaw/First water

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Needless to say, If you have seen my scan of the "DrillRig & Crew" ?
It is used for drilling a 3" or 4" hole, down a couple of hundred feet!
So!
Like! What good is a deep hole, if you can't see .. into a cavern, etc? ::)
Therefore !
I, naturally have a "down hole" camera with about 150' of cable..
It is equipted with a 500 ! watt halogen light..
This light can light up my whole front yard .. some 300' ! :o
And!
All of this is, of course, hooked up to a regular, small 19" Security (12 volt TV) Monitor !
So!
We can see what's there and we can also record what we are looking at !

OP
OP
gnewt

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
The system you have works well I bet and the drill looks like one they build in Opelaka, AL.
That was a big seller at one time, of course I don't know if they built yours.
I was toying with the idea of a mine shaft exploring system, and sort of put it aside.
The camera, light , fiber optic pickup, and my monitor would be a laptop and DVD. is not a problem, pushing that cable and very small lens in there would be like pushing a chain down the road. The first thing is figure what all it has to do then come up with a walker, crawler, swimmer or all of the above maybe after I see the situation I can build something.
I think they got those LED lights off a UFO, they don't use hardly any power and a cell with 60 will almost blind you. Some cities are changing traffic lights to LED and saving thousands on the elec and they last.

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Gnewt:
Forget this erroneous idea, that some one started, that you can run a "crawler" in these old mine tunnels, etc...
Won't work!
That person must have never seen an old abandon mine tunnel !
They are full of rocks, timbers and other things !
You can hardly walk in them..
Much less run some little crawler device pulling a cable and etc..
You see what I mean, when we go into one!
They must have seen, one, too many National Geographic Films!
Where they sent a device up a small tunnel/shaft in a Pyramid !
Now!
I'm not saying all mines are like this, but
ALL! Of the Old Spanish Mines that I have been in, have been!
AND!
Most of them have been flooded too!
I doubt that a "Crawler" runs too well underwater! ;D
I posted some photos of two of them.. Old Spanish Mines
You can see just how small & rock filled the tunnels are !

Attachments

• Hat-Mine.jpg
    Hat-Mine.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 597
OP
OP
gnewt

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
Man they look rough, that is what I meant to say I would have to see them, I have been in caves and know most were like what you have shown. The ones I went in were not those tourist traps, but they had hazards lurking. I really don't know if I have that fear anymore but I got into gas the first time bad,when I got my warning I figured I could make it out the other end if I held my breath, and I had too much already. I come out shaking and it went on for three days. The second time was bad but not like the first. OK I can take that off the burner. I left another little job I was working on in AL. it is still there waiting on me. Simple piece of junk to work in a couple of feet of water.
2 1/2 ft of PVC 6" with Plexiglas lens for looking at the bottom of the creek. That is for a creek there , every place is different, I don't know if that would be junk in Arizona. That was more for gems I was going to check for in gravel beds. Gnewt

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
I have a friend in Ca.
Who is a gem hunter!
He has build a rig for recovering just gems
It is similar to a gold dredge, but with a few modifications
It discharges the gravel and such on to a large flat table
Like a "shaker table"
But!
With small riffles
He claims to have found diamonds and emeralds ;D
& it is a fact,
There are several kinds of emeralds in Ca.
There's even a "Pink" variety ! :o

OP
OP
gnewt

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
That sound great, that will be a tool that will open a lot of doors. I would like to see it.. Gem stones are over my head, I would have to do a lot of study. I got a pretty good book but I wish there was someone around here that was a gem Buff. Gnewt

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Gnewt:
Normally Gems will fluoresce under a Ultraviolet (Black Light)

I have a portable light that has both the Long & the Short wave lengths
There are several good books out that identify what the fluorescent colors are related to
I bought my book, at the Arizona Mines & Mineral Museum in Phoenix
BUT!
Beware!
Scorpions also are highly fluorescent, so, if at night, & that's the best time to look for gems
As the gems are much brighter
;D IF IT RUNS AWAY FROM DON'T PICK IT UP! :'(

OP
OP
gnewt

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
I don't want to get nailed by a scorpion, and I got to get in a habit of checking my boots and hanging the sleeping bag up and shaking the thing out. I am immune to the poison but that sting hurts.
I want one of those books, I may find it on the internet. I have seen those lights working in a display of different stones but no info as to what was going on. That book sounds like the place to start. Thanks, Gnewt

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
How are you coming on your hunt for the perfect vehicle?
Did you check out the Rokon Website?
Although, such a rig is not needed..
Places we go are for two and four legged traffic only!
And as far as, going as far as a 2wd will take you, does not figure in either!
Because we usually come back a different route
No sense in covering the same ground twice! ;D
Actually, the place to start your Florescence is concerned,
buying the black light would be step number "Uno!"
I don't know if they had them for sale at the Museum or not!
They have a pretty good size salesroom there ... Books, minerals, etc...

OP
OP
gnewt

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
CptBil
I will check out Dallas and Fort Worth. I was over there first of the week looking at vehicles. Wish I had known about the black light. Maybe I will find one of those lights next week while I am there. I will read up on them, that way I can know what need and what I'm looking at. Might as well try finding that book too. Gnewt

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Capt don't forget that snakes will florese green, so if it looks like a garden hose look out.

Also, a cheaper way to get a decent black light is to get one of those battery operated camp lanterns, that has the switch for one bulb or two. Go to an electric lamp shop or decent electrical supply house and pick up a couple of tubes one long wave, one short wave. Take the regular tubes out and replace with the blacklight bulbs. Then all you gotta do is cut the wire that lights both bulbs and jumper it so when you move the switch to 1 bulb you have the short wave bulb, and the 2 bulb position gives you the longwave bulb. Mine cost a total of $27 and about 1/2 hour to put together. Oh yeah, added a couple of pieces of aluminum duct tape to the lense to reflect the light 120 instead of 360 degrees. Works good for the price.
I think you can even get China knockoff lanterns even cheaper or buy one at a thrift store to cut the cost even more.

OP
OP
gnewt

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
Boogie, I have seen those lamps, in fact I had one, that's been so long ago I had forgot. I saw those black tubes too,never noticed the price. Those light sticks or lanterns are very cheap. I have a roll of Air Cond Duct tape that I used conv. a Coleman Fluorescent from 8 D cells to 12 v car battery.
It is brighter than a Gas lantern, and only uses 1 amp. I clip it onto a car type battery and leave it on. I used that shinny duck tape as a reflector when I used it night fishing. Hooked it to the trolling battery. I am going to check Wal Mart and TSC and see what they got .. Thanks a lot for the info. Gnewt

OP
OP
gnewt

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
Yep, Built my first detector 1954 that worked, 1950 didn't. The 1954 was like a bicycle wheel. It was 32" and I ended up with 218 turns of about 28 Ga. copper. It would cover 35' air and penetrate 9 ft or more earth depending on the soil. It would find a mine, that ain't no gold mine. I may go back to the drawing table.LOL Got so much going on the drawing table , just don't have room.
Those mines, and exploring them still got stuff running around my head, just wish I could teach a dog to talk. Got that on the table. I am going to visit the dog pound, I may find one that I understand or he understands me. Oh well, he just may end up being a friend. I had one climb a ladder, get on the roof and jump and I would catch him. Except one time, he never give up on me. Spot was a Dumb Dog!! Gnewt

BLACKFOOT

Jan 17, 2007
Heavener oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug2
I panned this gold down the canyon from the TRails End mill site on Milk Creek.
Battleship Butte geo map

Attachments

• img040.jpg
    img040.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 452
  • img040.jpg
    img040.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 453

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
NM/AZ/CA/Co/Utah & P.I. Tx.
Gnwet:
"Doc's" "Injury Case" has been sent up to The U.S. District Court
That means, he'll have to be in Florida until "June" !
So!
Our plans will be se back..
I intend to get the Jeep finished up and when I make a few "Roads tests"
To make sure that everything is running
I'll be heading out to New Mexico, probably, sometime in LATE MAY !
Doc'll meet me there !
Don't know when "we'll" be in/get to, Arizona
But!
As you can see, it'll be late summer sometime!
First, I am going to be going into "The Bradshaws" to file a claim on, I hope!, a nice size "Beryl" Deposit!
Depending on how the assay comes out!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread