Greaterville, AZ

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
I've been to a couple of the GPAA sites in Greaterville and they are not the best. You can find some gold, but it takes more work than some other places at Greaterville. The Desert Gold Diggers, www.desert-gold-diggers.org has the best claims in the area. It costs $35.00 per year to join. A large part of the Greaterville area (and some of the best spots) are so called 50-50 land, which is off limits to prospecting. It's a beautiful area and one I really enjoy going to. Most of the GPAA claims require a 4 X 4 vehicle to get to or take some walking. The roads are fairly good for the most part, but some areas get steep or are somewhat washed out. It's also a great place to camp for a while. I've never had any problems with illegals or any of the people I have met out there. If you get stuck, someone usually come along without you having to be there for hours. If you have any more questions, PM me.

Good hunting, John K

OP
OP
OroGrande

OroGrande

Apr 1, 2007
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Thanks for the response, John. I will definately check out the Tucson club. I do appreciate the information, very helpful. "Oro"

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
Hey Oro, I'm tied up for the next couple of weeks, but if you want to meet out at Greaterville sometime, I could take you to the claims as a guest. If you like the claims, you can join the Gold diggers. Let me know. I'm 4 wheel drive challanged right now as my wife took my Blazer to Idaho, so if you have a 4wd vehicle we could get to most of the claims.

Best regards, John K

OP
OP
OroGrande

OroGrande

Apr 1, 2007
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Hi John....Thanks for the invitation. I'm retired so my time is very flexible, however my partner (an RN) is still working. I would love to meet with you and check out the Greaterville area. The application for membership in the D-G-D, is signed and sitting on my desk. We plan a week long trip the end of May, maybe we can meet then. Look forward to it. In the event I can get away sooner, I'll contact you and we can set up a date/time convenient for you. Thanks, "Oro"

Rifleman

Oct 1, 2007
Give me a shout when your ready to go ! I never need much of an excuse to go looking for the yellow stuff.

John K

Poncho33

Greenie
Feb 6, 2008
Good evening, Oro: I haven't been on the site much as I have been very busy. About Greaterville. Generally speaking, the entire area does not give up much gold. You really have to work for it. The best GPAA claim that I have worked on a number of times is called "Fantastic". I used to live in Green Valley, which is just over the mountain in the Santa Cruz Valley, and I spent a lot of time on the east side of the Santa Rita Mountains. I wish you all the luck, but be prepared to be disappointed. I did a lot of records research in the Arizona Pioneer's Museum library (in Tucson), and I boned up on where the old times found their gold. I thought that I had a chance to find something in Harshaw Gulch, but it was a total bust. The old records talked about elevated benches of deposits in several gulches but I had no luck with that either. There is gold there; not much of it, and it is hit-or-miss (mostly miss).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions