lost padres mine?

St. Jerome

Feb 21, 2005
I haven't ever seen any mention of a lost padre mine here at treasurenet. does any one have any info on it. I am interested in names of possible padres that were there mining. I am interested in historical facts regarding activity there. I am aware that the place was mined secretly but I bet there is got to be some info out there. I just want to compare it to an old spanish working that is a known site to some locals in an az comunity. Nothing as far as gold or silve has been found in the cave but I am sure they must of buried the vien. I am more interested in the history of this place. It is a place in arizona.
thanx StJ

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
I have some research information on a LOST PADRE Mine !
Think that is it ? ???
I'll double check tonight,
Right now, I am taking a break from working on my Jeep!
But!
Right Now!
I gotta get back on it ! :P
I need to make a "parts run" tomorrow morning !

Wizzard

May 3, 2006
Phoenix, Arizona
Detector(s) used
MineLab Quattro
NEW MEXICO LEGENDS

The Lost Padre Mine

"Stationed at Chihuaha, New Mexico in 1797 during the last years of the Spanish occupation, was a priest named LaRue. Father LaRue, while sitting with an old dying soldier, listened while the soldier told him of a rich gold-bearing load in the mountains north of El Paso del Norte (El Paso, Texas today.)

The soldier explained to LaRue that the mother lode could be found by traveling one day north of El Paso until three small peaks could be seen. When the peaks came into view, the journey would turn east across the desert to the mountains. In the first mountain range, there would be a basin with a spring at the foot of a solitary peak. Upon this mountain was to be found a rich vein of gold.

"

More Here

cptbild

Oct 3, 2005
NM/AZ/CA/Co/Utah & P.I. Tx.
St. Jerome
Most of the mines, the majority of them, were run by "The Padres" (The Church!)
That would make just any one of them a "Lost Padre Mine?" :wink:
AND!
If, as you say, there
"in Arizona" , it's NOT GOING TO BE
The Lost Padre LaRue Mine
Which, as we all know, is in New Mexico, near Las Cruces !
Probably, in "The Organ Mnts" ?

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably.
goofyface.jpg

I know the area, there is no single peak by itself. But the description is close to Dripping Springs. The area right behind the Ranger Station would be a great place to start. Good Luck on that.

What ever is left of it would be buried somewhere else.

GangGreen

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2011
Las Cruces, NM
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Could Roger Snow's Dorsey Peak Cave be the Lost Padre Mine? The White Sands Missile Range has taken over that part of the Organ Mountains so it is legally inaccessible. And, if the government has already found it, it's not very likely that they left any of the treasure inside.

OP
OP
S

St. Jerome

Feb 21, 2005
I posted this long time ago when I was trying to find info on a mine I found in az. A lot of people looking for this place and looking at it see nothing. lol. It has been years and I have learned a lot about this place. I have found many markers and land markers,as well as old spanish bottles and tins. Writings on the rocks with dates 1539. Lol. For real. Since then I have picked up spanish trails in colorado and new mexico. I work a lot but find time whenever I can to track these places.

Hunter J Flynn

Nov 11, 2012
Concho, Arizona
Primary Interest:
Other
St. Jerome
I have been looking in sycamore canyon SW of flagstaff for the lost padre and other lost mines and found a lot of sign. I was told of some things and found other things. There is a special report in NAU library I had copied. there is more info in that then any other place. My adventures are on my site Arizona Gold Prospecting and Lost Mine Hunting still looking for a map in a time or life mag from the late 1940s with a pic of the canyon and village. been looking to trade new info for my next outing can you help?

Last edited:

elkman13

Aug 24, 2003
I thought the Lost Padre mine was the one they buried the priest upside down?? That would be in NM.

Roblowaz

Apr 19, 2011
Prescott Valley, AZ
Detector(s) used
Yes
I see most of these posts are years old. However, I am only now seeing them for the first time.Therefore I am replying now for anyone interested. Yes it is in the Franklin Mountains on the East side. Only parts of the legend directions are true. That's why using the legends directions from the Church in downtown yield no useful information. Yes it is a certain time of year. yes it is a certain time of day. But the starting point is not the church. I know the day- time of year direction to look and time of day. I have been to the remnants of the mine and the angles of the mine are exactly that of an old Spanish mine in depth angle and a 90 degree turn as prescribed in Spanish mines. It is simply too deep, 180 feet + to recover and on privately owned land by a local family trust on the mountainside. I have the original manuscript directions and have all of the information anyone needs if interested.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to get a copy of those documents if you are willing to share them. As well, I live in Albuquerque if you ever want to go searching.

Roblowaz

Apr 19, 2011
Prescott Valley, AZ
Detector(s) used
Yes
I used to live in Las Cruces and hooked up with Jackson Polk a local El Paso producer who was making a film about it. I live in Prescott, AZ. now and had planned one trip more back to the mine to pass it on to my son who's now 21. But I have no idea when I would do so. You can find more by looking up L.C. Criss, J. A Lowe and their excavation of the mine which ran out of capital around the turn of century near 1900 My grandfather was the last living person at the mine until 1995 when I found it again and he confirmed it by photo before he died in 1996. i still have an original drawing my grandfather drew of how i would recognize it when and If i found it backed up with photo evidence and the old manuscript directions were EXACTLY correct. pretty cool stuff. sunrise, angle time of year etc..

Hunter J Flynn

Nov 11, 2012
Concho, Arizona
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone know of a map for the Lost Padre, lost village of Coconino or anything in Sycamore Canyon Arizona south west of Flagstaff? or anyone have knowledge of where to find the photo taken of the village by a photographer that was printed in life or time magazine around the 1940s? I am looking at going back out to the canyon in April, others are welcome.

Oct 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've lived in El Paso all my life, and would really like any and all directions to what you say could be where it's located. I.e reference to lost padre mine on the east side of the Franklin Mountains.
Thanks

Mar 27, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need your help with some of the info you have on the lost padre mine. I have some good clues and been actively looking I think Iam on to something please share anything you might have in good spirits of discovery thanks call me if you can 915 2423553 issac

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ole Willie Dougit, his friend Buster, and some guy they took along to beat on and shoot at occasionally, already found it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread